X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nav2809
    • Jul 2011

New: Hi and HELP!

Hi everyone, im Nav, from UK (kent to be precise)

i have recently bought

as i am a noob and dead BROKE

i have now got this set up in the garage, the bolts (studs) go through the brackets from inside the garage wall, then through home cut blocks of wood, then through the garage wall (inside) then out, then through more home cut blocks of wood then both sides are washered and nutted (secured)

VERY VERY VERY tight fit no movement in the platform

problem is, it looks like it isnt the THICKEST board ever (drum) and also i can hear the windows vibrate when i hit the bag, not only this but the bag is quite big and seems SLOW

i have read through other posts and threads regarding slow bags, but really what can i do to make a significant effect

is the platform too thin?

i WILL be adding sandbags but how much in terms of weight?

is the swivel pants?

is the bag too big?

please help!

and please recommend what changes (if any) i should make

all advice would be greatly appreciated
  • nav2809
    • Jul 2011

bag size

ok i have just found out (from the link) that the ball is 29cm in HEIGHT which is around 11.5inches apparently (or just short of that)

so this is a LARGE bag i assume?

reducing this size will make a difference right

any suggestions?

also the swivel is a CHAIN LINK type, it seems quite heavy, could this be reducing speed as well? thanks

Comment

• jumpcannon
      Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

if u want "more speed" go with a small bag. The chainlink swivel shouldnt slow things down.....just give it a couple drops of oil on the pivot points. try 20lbs or so of sand on top and secure with bungee cord or rope if needed. if u want "fancy" hitting then a ballhook swivel is the choice......but its personal preference.....some guys can make a u-bolt swivel dance pretty well. I would DEFINATELY thicken your board by adding another piece of wood!
      evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Welcome, nav! Sounds like you did a good job attaching the platform to the wall. If it's solidly attached to the studs of your house, then I would deduce that it is the thin platform that is causing the slow response from your ball. And the vibrating windows...well, I'm sure many will agree, it's a fact of life that speed bagging can be a noisy activity.

The more solid and dense the surface, the better the rebound, in my opinion. Some have doubled up the thickness by (gluing?) a thick slab of wood cut to the same dimensions as the original round piece. And a 20-lb. (9 kilograms?) bag of sand on top will make a definite improvement for getting a good rebound. (Be sure to enclose the sand in a heavy plastic bag so it won't seep out and fall in your eyes later.)

If you're really new at this, I would recommend staying with a medium to large speed ball for the first several weeks. (But then, I'm partial to bigger bags.) If possible, try to post some photos of your set up.
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• nav2809
          • Jul 2011

ah thanks guys i will take some snaps at some point today and ye the board is THIN compared to some vids i have seen so far so i will have to double that up and i do want to go for a smaller bag though, 11x9 or whatever is just too big for my liking

Comment

• nav2809
            • Jul 2011

thanks again

question is, any suggestions of a CHEAP yet GOOD (value for money) bag?

could do with some links cheers guys

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Feb 2010

Hi Nav,

welcome to the forum and speedbagging. Here's a pic of my set up, which is similar to yours. The board is not that thick either but it really helps to buy a bag of playsand or whatever and put on top. I taped it up in some black polythene first as it sprung a leak before.

I have also tried a lot of speedballs which I mainly bought online from either boxfituk or sugarrays. It's not worth getting the cheapest ones though trust me. Lonsdales are good, http://www.boxfituk.com/speed-balls-.../prod_297.html. If they don't specify a size,'small' is what you need. You can also look on ebay, but it's quite rare to find good quality speedballs on ebay uk for a bargain.

If you don't mind second hand send me a mail, I have a couple of good quality 9x4 speedballs that might suit.

Good luck
              Attached Files

Comment

• nav2809
                • Jul 2011

great thanks for all the replies

again i think a medium would be ideal however if there are any smalls going about il take it! haha thanks again all!

PS: message to everyone

i am a member of other forums too for fitness, cars, boxing etc, but without a shadow of a doubt this is by far the friendliest bunch EVA!!!!

thanks for making it such a nice welcome

Comment

• nav2809
                  • Jul 2011

ok heres my setup and chain link swivel so u guys get a closer look
                  Attached Files

Comment

• nav2809
                    • Jul 2011

oh also at the top is my heavy duty black bin liner filled with a good amount of sand LOL

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...