• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • freshane
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2010

Mounting Platform on Brick Wall

hi guys, I was away from home for school and now that I'm back I really have no place to set up my platform then outside under a balcony thing on a brick wall. I have a everlast elite adjustable platform. Would I have any issues with rust or wood getting damaged?? Its pretty dry weather here for the most part. I guess I could cover it with something (not sure what) when not in use and always take the speed bag off. If im mounting it on to brick wall what would be the best way of going about this?? I could take a pic of the wall. The bricks r kinda skinny, should be pretty solid once mounted. Before I had it mounted on studs in a garage and it was vibrating the whole wall and was pretty loud. I didn't add any sandbags to the top tho. Any input would be awesome. Cheers
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by freshane View Post
    hi guys, I was away from home for school and now that I'm back I really have no place to set up my platform then outside under a balcony thing on a brick wall. I have a everlast elite adjustable platform. Would I have any issues with rust or wood getting damaged?? Its pretty dry weather here for the most part. I guess I could cover it with something (not sure what) when not in use and always take the speed bag off.
    Can rain get to it? Most of the platforms are MDF which I believe will disintegrate when exposed to any significant water. If it's covered and not getting drenched it may be OK I think.

If im mounting it on to brick wall what would be the best way of going about this?? I could take a pic of the wall. The bricks r kinda skinny, should be pretty solid once mounted. Before I had it mounted on studs in a garage and it was vibrating the whole wall and was pretty loud. I didn't add any sandbags to the top tho. Any input would be awesome. Cheers
    "Tapcon" screws can be used in masonry such as bricks. They should be available at your local home depot or lowes.

I would mount 2x4s to the brick with the Tapcons, then mount the platform to the 2x4s. If you search around a bit on this web site, you'll see various photos of things people have done.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum.

Also , check out the "Platforms" section of the Gold Mine (archives): http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...splay.php?f=15
    Last edited by Tim; 04-02-2011, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Stans_with_fist
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2011

I agree with Tim on fastening the platform to 2x4s, not directly into the brick wall.

Before fastening the 2x4 onto the wall I first inserted 4 carriage bolts from the back of the studs for supporting the Everlast brackets. The Everlast brackets are then fastened to the 2x4s with hex nuts and lock washers, so they are more secure than lag screws. I decided not to use Tapcon fasteners because I felt they wouldn't be large enough to support the weight and force of the platform and sandbag on top. Plus they are very expensive.

Here's the pic of my setup fastened onto cinder block. I nailed the 2x4s onto the wall with a Remington powder actuated hammer.

Comment

• freshane
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Nov 2010

Thanks for the input guys.. ya I had it mounted to two 2x4 horizontally tho in the garage previously. Does it make much of a difference if they are horizontal or vertical?? I have the exact same platform as well

I took a pic of the brick wall I am dealing with. I would rather go into the cement between the bricks so it can be patched later. I want use least holes as possible. Last time I attached the 2x4 with 2 lag bolts on each, then lag bolted the platform little everlast wood strips to the 2x4 so 8 holes in total.

I only want to make 4 holes to anchor the 2x4 to the brick then get sum small lag bolts to mount the platform onto the 2x4. If I get smaller lag bolts that just grab the 2x4 and don't go into the brick would that be sufficient enough?? Also I mentioned that I want to go inbetween the bricks and use an anchor to attach the 2x4's.. should I get a bigger anchor that would fit more snug inbetween the bricks, cause I think the cement inbetween the bricks may be brittle once I start hitting. Not sure which length would be good, the brick wall is about 7.5" thick and the space between the bricks is just under 1/2".

Comment

• Stans_with_fist
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2011

Hi freshane,

OK, it sounds like you want to anchor the 2x4s into the mortar joints (eg, the space between the brick). Unfortunately the mortar may be brittle and may loosen over time. On the other hand, your platform won't be mounted here permanently so Tapcon screws would be OK fasteners since they are removable and you can easily patch the small holes.

I would suggest carriage bolts, not small lags screws for fastening the platform to the 2x4.

Comment

• freshane
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2010

Ya the mortar was a no go.. Tried a few different methods and it didn't hold the 2x4 securely enough. Ended up building a little 2x4 wall with two 2x4s and is really secure. Way more sturdy then when it was installed in the garage, which is surprising.

It has very little vibration but I am thinkin of adding a sandbag to it. Which weight do you guys suggest?? I think it will improve the feel quite a bit, and maybe reduce some noise. Thanks for all the help
            Last edited by freshane; 04-12-2011, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by freshane View Post

It has very little vibration but I am thinkin of adding a sandbag to it. Which weight do you guys suggest?? I think it will improve the feel quite a bit, and maybe reduce some noise. Thanks for all the help
              I've always used 50 lbs, but just because that is what Home Depot sells it as. I just take the 50 lb bag, wrap it in a trash bag and then throw it up on top.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...