• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Irmac
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2011

How to replace ball bearings?

I ordered a chain link swivel the other week, and it always gets stuck rotating. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the ball bearing, so I took her down, took out the nut, but I can't seem to get the bloody thing out.

Does anyone know how to remove and replace the ball bearing in a chain link swivel?

- Irwin
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Are you sure that it's the bearing that is causing the problem? I've seen a number of these where the spindle head doesn't clear the bearing housing sufficiently. If that's the case then sometimes backing off the nut a little bit will give you the needed clearance. If that doesn't do enough, a couple swipes around the housing with a fine file can improve the clearance. As far as removing the bearing from the housing, those are press fit in place. Getting it out will require a drift punch that is small enough to fit into the hole but big enough to catch the edge of the bearing. Because you will be applying what is a lateral force on the bearing race which it's not designed to do, you stand a good chance of wrecking it. Caution is in order before doing this.

Comment

• toolboxdiver
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Are you sure that it's the bearing that is causing the problem? I've seen a number of these where the spindle head doesn't clear the bearing housing sufficiently. If that's the case then sometimes backing off the nut a little bit will give you the needed clearance. If that doesn't do enough, a couple swipes around the housing with a fine file can improve the clearance. As far as removing the bearing from the housing, those are press fit in place. Getting it out will require a drift punch that is small enough to fit into the hole but big enough to catch the edge of the bearing. Because you will be applying what is a lateral force on the bearing race which it's not designed to do, you stand a good chance of wrecking it. Caution is in order before doing this.
      they are easy to replace I have replaced all the bearings in my chain link everlast swivels. They use cheap bearings and they come out pretty easy with a brass drift punch and a hammer. take out the chainlink part turn the housing upside down and put your drift or punch through the hole and tap it out. You may need to clean up the inside of the housing as some of them are less than perfect. I install the new bearing with some locktite and let it set up overnight then assemble the swivel and you are ready to hit. hope this helps

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...