Fasteners for mounting onto cinder block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stans_with_fist
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2011

Hi,

Instead of making a homemade platform I ended up getting the Everlast Elite platform last week for $86 from Sports Authority online. I now want to mount it on a hollow cinder block wall in my garage. The cinder block is 1.25 inches thick, so can anyone recommend the correct fastening system: toggle bolts, Tapcon screws or lag shields?

The largest Tapcon screw is 1/4 inch diameter, but the mounting platform already has pre-drilled holes for 5/16 inch diameter screws. I could use lag shield anchors since they are available in 5/16 diameter, but would the anchors loosen over time? Or should I first glue the anchor with epoxy?

Thanks,
    Stan
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Stans_with_fist View Post
    Hi,

Instead of making a homemade platform I ended up getting the Everlast Elite platform last week for $86 from Sports Authority online. I now want to mount it on a hollow cinder block wall in my garage. The cinder block is 1.25 inches thick, so can anyone recommend the correct fastening system: toggle bolts, Tapcon screws or lag shields?

The largest Tapcon screw is 1/4 inch diameter, but the mounting platform already has pre-drilled holes for 5/16 inch diameter screws. I could use lag shield anchors since they are available in 5/16 diameter, but would the anchors loosen over time? Or should I first glue the anchor with epoxy?

Thanks,
    Stan
    why don't you use allthread with plates on other side of wall it will be the most secure mounting you could do

Comment

• PIEFURZ
      Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Good question. If you could make sure the bolts would go into a hollow part of the block you may want to use spring wing toggles like pictured here. http://www.ameribestfasteners.com/toggle_bolts.htm
      Anything that goes in like a plug and just expands sideways against the hole will possibly loosen as the block gives away around it. If you use spring wings make sure the go all the way in and open up fully inside the block. Also the screw that goes into them has to be long enough to push the wings all the way in but not so long that it bottoms out on the far wall inside the block before it tightens down. You may try TOGGLER by Hilti. http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/page/m...&nodeId=-77338. Pick the right size. It would help if you could see a sample of how the block is inside. It always helps to know as much as possible before attacking a project. I got stuck hanging a small projector in and ancient building in DC and had all kinds of issues. The ceiling tiles had all been painted over so I had to cut around the grid. Then there was an air handler in the way so I had to go in front of it but work around an air duct. Then the slab was way up high and I found after drilling into it that part was solid concrete and some was brittle red hollow block. All this work for a little ass projector. I had to get cables into a wall partition and found the top plate to be hard steel so with a dull bit covered with the wrong kind of oil I finally smoked my way thru it. Always good to know what your getting into. And don't use long fasteners to hang siding on your garage just to find out the fuse box is on the other side. I've heard of that one before.

Comment

• Stans_with_fist
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2011

Hi Piefurz, thanks for the suggestions. It sounds likes toggle bolts will be the best way to go here. The interior cavity of the cinder block is about 4 inches deep, so I think I should be OK with a 3 or 4 inch bolt (the Everlast platform is 3/4 inches and the cinder block is 1.5 inches. I doubt Home Depot carries these bolts so I'll order them online, although the shipping will probably be a killer.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Home Depot has a good selection, you should be able to get what you want and they would probably take back or exchange if you don't use items. Will save you the shipment and waiting. Plus I love looking around the store for ideas.

Comment

• abbyjhon
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2011

For more info of fasteners visit at

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...