• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trudge52
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2011

Strengthening the drum

Just wanted to get some input from more experienced speed baggers than myself on altering my platform. I have the adjustable everlast that seems to be popular around here. It is a nice setup but does vibrate pretty good with the 11/8 bag I use. I was thinking of cutting out a round from a horse stall mat and sandwiching that between the original drum and a piece of plywood on the top. The horse stall mat is a very dense rubber that is 3/4" thick. My thinking is that this would beef up the drum substantially and also dampen a lot of the vibration.
    Any input on whether this would be a good idea?
  • jumpcannon
    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Try a 25lb bag of sand or salt strapped to the top first. That will make a MAJOR differance! May save you from having to do that extra work. Or if there is anyway you can brace the top of the board to the ceiling somehow, that would work excellent as well.
    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Avadia
      • Nov 2010

I have found that the adjustable everlast flexes a lot in the metal supports that allow you to adjust it. I would suggest perhaps mounting some wood slats behind these supports the same thickness as the wood slats that are part of the mount. In other words, some vertical slats behind the metal bracket that is connected to the horizontal wood slats. That, along with a sand bag on top, should help reduce the vibration a great deal.

Comment

• ssdvc
        • Oct 2010

I have a Valor Adjustable and while it is solidly a built platform and I did "lag" it to the wall, it still had vibrations and I didn't like the way it felt or sounded.

So the other day I got off my lazy A** and purchased a 50lb bag of sand (Home Dept, $4.95) laid it out on top of the drum and it was a totally different platform. No other mods were necessary.

I did wrap the 50lbs sand bag in a really heavy duty garbage bag, then wrapped some duct tap around that and set it on top of some cardboard tapped to the top of the bolts poking through the top of the drum. I didn't want any sand leaking out and making a mess.

I love it, it is quieter by half and the feel is much, much better.
        ________
        Live Sex
        Last edited by ssdvc; 08-15-2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• trudge52
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2011

Thanks for the reply's. I have put a 35lb. sandbag on top and that does make a big difference. I was just brainstorming for other methods that would make the whole apparatus more sturdy.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...