X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jojojunfan
    • Dec 2010

Speed bag bible

Hi everyone! Alright, I have been using a speed bag for a couple of months off and on. I have been working on the basics and watching some " Skunk" videos as well as vids from other forum members. I have learned alot from watching. Im throwing in some elbows, and some linking, fist rolls ect... Even though i have not purchased the Speed bag Bible, I have made some progress. I am going to purchase it, after I pay Jumpcannon for my swivel. As I watch some of your guys videos I am always impressed, so.....

I was wondering how many people learned on their own, and then purchased the S B B , and what effect it had on your progress? What were you stuck on that the S B B helped you learn? Where do you think you would be without it?
    How would you rate its importance to beginners? Has everyone just got the book and learned with no prior experience? Just curious about everyones personal story and developement.

Again, I am purchasing it soon, but this is just an unofficial survey, if you will.
    " If everyone were satisfied with themselves, there would be no heroes "
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jojojunfan View Post
    Hi everyone! Alright, I have been using a speed bag for a couple of months off and on. I have been working on the basics and watching some " Skunk" videos as well as vids from other forum members. I have learned alot from watching. Im throwing in some elbows, and some linking, fist rolls ect... Even though i have not purchased the Speed bag Bible, I have made some progress.....

Where do you think you would be without it?
    Fair Question. I have hit the speed bag for almost 40 years and learned most of my skills before it was published. I can safely say that without The Speed Bag Bible I would probably be very lonely.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jojojunfan
      • Dec 2010

I feel like I got caught questioning the teacher! I think your book is going to help me immeasureably. I want to know what people are talking about when they throw down some speed bag terms and formulas. I love standing on the shoulders of giants! They say experience is the best teacher, well sometimes other peoples experience is even better.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I feel like I got caught questioning the teacher!
        Not really, but I get your point. Your post is a fair question but I fear out of respect members just read it and smile.

The truth is you don't NEED anything to learn how to hit the speed bag except a desire to learn and some time to mess with it. You can see someone do it, and mimic their movements, and try to mimic the sound it makes. Their are lots of people that became very good at bagging and never heard of the SBB. You can learn to do a lot of things by watching others, but sometimes you can learn a bit more of how things work or how to advance, or how to do something more efficiently with a book or teaching video from another. You can learn skills or more insight about speed bagging from a lot of people, however the SBB system is the only one that I know of with a workable method to write down what you, or others, do on the bag. But then again, a lot of people probably don't care about that either. Lots of people play guitar very well that can't read music.

I feel like I got caught questioning the teacher! I think your book is going to help me immeasureably. I want to know what people are talking about when they throw down some speed bag terms and formulas. I love standing on the shoulders of giants! They say experience is the best teacher, well sometimes other peoples experience is even better.
        You can improve your baggin' with the advice and insights of many forum members. There are many giants in here, perhaps master's is a better word, and we see new combinations and ways to use or modify this equipment every day. My own knowledge and understanding of the bag and its possibilities has be greatly expanded by other members on this forum and I mean that sincerely. More than once I have watched a video over and over, amazed and wondering how in the @@$$%! does he do that!

Why just this week I think I can actually do the upward elbow strike in a reliable manner.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I think the key to truly learning to bag is by following AlK's proven method, i.e, The Speed Bag Bible. He has developed a teaching tool that will take you from beginner to advanced bagger in a matter of months. I think AK likens it to learning how to play an instrument. You must perfect the basics and then move to the next level, honing your skills along the way.

Of course, it's up to you to complete each chapter, practicing each technique and combination until you develop the control to move forward. I must admit that I have not completed his entire book and have skipped around, picking sections that appealed to me. I truly believe that if you persevere and follow the path laid out in the Bible, you will progress at a faster pace and will be a better bagger.

I think what happens, is that as a beginner, we see what others can do, and we want to get to that skill level, and we rush the process. The key is to practice, practice, practice; and have patience - take it easy and master control of the bag.

Bottom line, buy AK's book - a better learning system cannot be found. It will be the best speed bagging money you ever spend.

/Thread

Comment

• jumpcannon
            Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Yeap...I agree. The book is excellent. I like the book/dvd combo. Its broken down for dummies. And we are all dummies when we start off. I feel like a dummy when it comes to side hitting. I can do it...but not EVERYTIME. Its the hardest thing so far. Actually i wish nobody ever did it that way i dont have to learn how! LOL
            evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

It's a MUST HAVE. Period. Don't think about it, just ORDER IT! There is nothing else like it.

Before the bible I had no idea you could hit with Elbows (or even the front of the knuckles - LOL). They only thing they taught me in the boxing gym was FCP (Of course they didn't call it that).

Mine is hanging up right next to my main platform. I refer to it often and intend to work through every exercise (It'll take awhile - the Bible has got A LOT of stuff in it). The front cover is adorned with signatures from all my baggin' buddies at SB2010. I intend to bring it to SBII this June as well a get a few dozen more signatures!

PS If you don't like to read , get the bible DVDs, or better yet, get both.

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

I have absolutely no hesitation
                in recommending the SBB and DVDs they have helped me become much more than a 123 bagger!! get your copy ASAP!!

Comment

• jojojunfan
                  • Dec 2010

Well, i have really just been delayed in getting the S B B and my swivel for financial reasons.
                  ( car totalled on ice) But if I had any doubts they would be gone. I have been wondering where my skills would be if I had got the book earlier. When I see some your guys videos, I want to be able to do those same things! I was just curious about what you would say, but i think I knew the answer already. Thanks.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Feb 2010

Don't be too disappointed by the delay, I'll come in from another angle. I didn't know about the bible for quite a few months and learned from scratch, mainly from speedbagskunks 'how to' videos. (The short ones where he demos one or two punches in detail, not the epic marathons of awesomeness)

I would go back and forth from the PC to the board, a technique at a time and practice over and over until I was happy with it and then practice transitions between different techniques and combos. The I found many other helpful videos on youtube, and then Alans media section on Speedbagcentral which I played over and over.... then this forum.... and then, later on I heard about the Bible.

You can get proficient with all these resources even if you don't have the Bible yet. I have got the book now, and I can see it a fantastic tool which I haven't made the most of yet. - I probably need to get the DVDs as well.

I would definitely recommend it - but in the meantime keep going and doing what you're doing.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...