New to the forum and somewhat new to speed baggin'.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimbo
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2010

New to the forum and somewhat new to speed baggin'.

Howdy all!

My name is Jim and as the title states, I'm new here and have had little experience with speed bags. Growing up, my dad was weight lifting as a hobby and from time to time would spend hours hitting his old Everlast 4200 gyro-balanced speed bag in the garage. From what I can recall, it seemed to shake the entire house. As young as I was, I didn't quite have the coordination to keep the rhythm going but would manage to time a few punches just right.

Within the last couple of months my cousin gained interest in speed bags and bought an Everlast platform and large bag. After hitting the bag for a few days, I decided I wanted to continue and advance my skills. Shortly after, I started working long hours and didn't have the time in the evenings to hit the bag. Nor did I have the energy. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, I was laid off and had more free time than I knew what to do with.

I reflected on how much fun and how good of a workout it was to hit the speed bag. I stepped into the garage and inflated the old 4200 and started hitting it but it was quickly losing air. So, I went to my cousin's house around 11am that day and started hitting the small bag that he bought recently. We traded off for a few hours and I decided I wanted to get a bag myself. So, we went out and I looked around for gloves or wraps and a new bag. I brought home 3 pairs of 108" Everlast wraps and an Elite Te: M bag. As soon as I got home and excited as ever, I wrapped my hands and went to work on the new bag with my cousin. We again traded off hitting the new bag for a couple of hours, paused for a quick dinner and went out again for a couple more hours. Needless to say, I felt the muscles that got the work out the following day.

The next day, I went to the garage for another speed bag session and after hitting the bag for a short period of time, it began losing air. At first, I wasn't sure what was going on. I was having to hit it much harder than the day before and therefore, I was losing my timing. I returned to the store I bought the bag from and told them what had happened and that hopefully I had just got the bad bag out of the bunch. They exchanged it for a new one without question and I, again, brought it home and started hitting it right away. It barely lasted a week. The "leather" started to crack but only on certain panels and, like the first one, the bladder began losing air all of the sudden. I quickly realized that Everlast isn't the best choice anymore. Especially after reading all the bad reviews about their new bags.

I ended up buying a new bladder for the 4200 and paid another visit to the sporting goods store and returned the new Everlast bag. The problem I'm finding now is that the belly of the 4200 is more round in the rear than it is on the sides and front. As most of you know, it caused the bag to rebound all over the place. I deflated the bladder and re-inflated it quite a few times making sure to massage it while inflating it. Still no luck in a uniform shape. I deflated the bladder once more and pulled it out of the bag and inflated it to inspect it. No defects that I can tell but once it's inflated, it's round and not pear or triangle shaped like the old bladder is. I made sure to measure the bag first so that I could order the correct bladder. Is it possible that I misjudged the size and ordered the wrong one? Any way I can get the bag to even out?

Either way, I was frustrated enough and found the courage to just order a medium-sized Cleto Reyes bag from Ringside. Not the cheapest but at that price it should last forever!

Sorry for the long introduction but I just wanted to share my beginner experience. More like venting in the end . I'm eager to advance my skills and in turn, get a good workout from it!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-12-2010, 03:51 PM.
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

Welcome to the Speedbag Forum

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the job loss, but happy to hear you've rediscovered the bag.

The Reyes bags are good, but alot of the bags that are available on the internet are also very good (and cheaper than Reyes). Most of the bags that Title boxing sells are far superior to what you get in the retail stores. The material is better, bladders last longer, more variety in sizes etc.

Personally I wouldn't be too considered over a little bag lopsidedness. It's really not going to make a difference. As I stated in another thread - I have not yet personally been hands on with a bag so lopsided it wouldn't work... and I've bought at least 25 bags (different makes/models) from both Internet and retails stores...

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Welcome to the forum, Jimbo. Hope you find work soon. As Tim mentioned, you can find a variety of bags on the Web. I pretty much favor the Title bags. But bags, like swivels, are a personal choice. Good luck on your speed bag journey.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Welcome Jimbo. Glad to see you're back into the swing. I've got a couple of the Te:M bags that leak and finally replaced the bladder in one with one from Title, I believe medium. It has been holding air fine, even going in and out of a cold car daily. Also got two sizes of PRO MEX from Title and also holding air. One thing on the smaller PRO MEX and possibly other small bags is the lacing comes down about a third on the side of the bag and with chain link swivels is on one of the main hitting surfaces. They are shoe strings so not to rough but you will come in contact with them. Hope you and your cousin enjoy the baggin. Get em on the forum.

Comment

• SpeedKilz
            • Dec 2009

Welcome of the forum. Your frustrations are another reason why I refer to Everlast as Neverlast - just my opinion. They do make some decent stuff but the majority of it comes from Balazs. As others have said - there are plenty of decent products online from Ringside, Title and even Ebay. You can get a good feel of a lot of the products on here from hunting through some past reviews - I'm sure something has been said about just about any bag/platform out there on this forum. Good luck!

Comment

• Jimbo
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2010

Thanks for the warm welcome and tips/advice fellas! I know as I advance my skills I'll be doing plenty of research here before I buy any bag, platform/drum or anything speed bag related. I'm blown away already after seeing a few videos of other members here. Hitting to music and just plain beating the shat out of bags. You guys are skilled. I look up to you and hope to someday be half as skilled as everyone else here.

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

Welcome Jimbo!! i think you will enjoy the Cleto!! it is one of my favorite bags they do seem to work well on a ball-hook swivel, and they are of the highest quality made from soft goats head leather enjoy the bag and the journey.

Comment

• Jimbo
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Dec 2010

I did forget to mention that I'm using a chain-link swivel. Seems like each swivel has it's pros and cons but they can probably be classed based on skill level. As of now, my main concern is controlling the bag so the chain-link is working well. My cousin is using a u-bolt or bar type swivel on his platform. It seems to work well also. I read on Speed Bag Central about wrapping some tape around the bag loop to prevent floating or sliding. He hasn't complained about at all and seems to have no problem controlling his XS Cleto bag. I'll mention the tape idea to him anyhow.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...