• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tkd over fifty
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2010

Everlast Te:M

I'm new to speedbag, and an instant addict. I'm an experienced black belt martial artist in my fifties with a recent serious leg injury from training that has me sidelined for a few weeks from my usual aggressive running/tkd training routine. So in an attempt to work up a good sweat, got an Everlast board, an Everlast bag, and the Speedbag Bible. As I said, instant addiction. The Bible has a lot of good information about bag size and speed for beginners. The bag I got is an Everlast Te:M Elite. Everlast provides no dimensions either with the bag or on their website. I've measured the bag, and it seems to be around 6x9. I'm able to control it and have learned the basics per the Bible. Here's the question - as a speedbag beginner, should I get a larger bag, as A. Kahn suggests, or since I'm having no problem with the one I got, should I just stick with it for now? Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Yeah TK, if you're able to do the basic techniques with that 6x9 everlast, there's no reason (other than to build endurance and strength) to go with a larger bag. As Alan mentions in the bible (Speed Bag Bible), a larger bag requires more strenth to punch and to keep going at any kind of pace. They are also good for learning some of the more advanced techniques, they're slower and do they make it easier in the beginning. I started with a 10x7 Rival bag. It was heavier and slower, but it was a great learning tool. Especially when learning side punches and 4 way elbow strikes. With those techniques (as with any of them) you have to take your time, be deliberate and go slow until your muscle memory and timing all come together. With pratice you'll be doing all that stuff before you know it. Hope this helped.
    T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• tkd over fifty
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Nov 2010

Thanks - it helps. I'm thinking stay with the 9x6 for the basics and then get a larger bag just as you described - for breaking down the harder techniques slower, and to be able to get more power into it as a change of pace from the smaller bag.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Originally posted by tkd over fifty View Post
        Thanks - it helps. I'm thinking stay with the 9x6 for the basics and then get a larger bag just as you described - for breaking down the harder techniques slower, and to be able to get more power into it as a change of pace from the smaller bag.
        You've got the right idea!
        T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by tkd over fifty View Post
          I'm new to speedbag, and an instant addict. I'm an experienced black belt martial artist in my fifties with a recent serious leg injury from training that has me sidelined for a few weeks from my usual aggressive running/tkd training routine. So in an attempt to work up a good sweat, got an Everlast board, an Everlast bag, and the Speedbag Bible. As I said, instant addiction. The Bible has a lot of good information about bag size and speed for beginners. The bag I got is an Everlast Te:M Elite. Everlast provides no dimensions either with the bag or on their website. I've measured the bag, and it seems to be around 6x9. I'm able to control it and have learned the basics per the Bible. Here's the question - as a speedbag beginner, should I get a larger bag, as A. Kahn suggests, or since I'm having no problem with the one I got, should I just stick with it for now? Any suggestions? Thanks.
          Welcome to the forum! 9x6 is a good size for a beginner. It makes for a pretty large target and is slow enough to help you learn all the techniques. If you can cope with a bag of that size there really isn't a burning need for a bigger bag, unless you enjoy POWER PUNCHING. Keeping a 10x7 moving fast takes A LOT of effort. All other things equal a bigger bag takes a lot more force to get moving, and to keep moving. it will also make more noise and more vibration, which may or may not be of concern.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...