Fixed platform height and different bag sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StevieMac
    • Oct 2010

Fixed platform height and different bag sizes?

I built my own fixed height platform and it turns out it’s mounted a little high. No big deal, I’ll move it down a bit but I want to wait until I receive my ball hook swivel (I’m currently using a chain link swivel). In the meantime I’ve stacked up a couple of mats to stand on to bring the bag closer to the correct height.

I’m new at this and am presently using a medium size bag, which I believe is 7.5” x 10” but presumably/hopefully at some point I’ll want to try a smaller bag. So if you are using multiple bag sizes and a fixed platform height how are you determining the best height for your platform? Obviously it’s a compromise but would you suggest having the medium bag hang slightly low so smaller bags are at a more ideal height or hang the medium bag at optimum height and have the smaller bags hang slight higher?

I suppose I can always stand on a mat or two when using a smaller bag.
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

You can always stand on a mat with a smaller bag, but if you want to use a bigger Speed bag but the platform is too low and permanent you are out of luck. It's kind like a bad haircut in reverse. You tell the barber to cut too much off and want more put back on.....no can do. With the platform you can always add mats if you mount it a little higher as you seem to have already done. Stick with that is my advice.
    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• StevieMac
      • Oct 2010

Sounds good Novabagger. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

I have an adjustable platform, although I never adjust it to suit the size of the bag I'm hitting, too much of a pain lifting sand bags on and off. I set the platform so I'm at the correct height with my most popular sized bag, the 8x5's. The 9x6's are a little lower but I'm used to hitting them at this height.

What size bag do you intend to hit most? Fix your platform to suit you with this size.

Comment

• StevieMac
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
          What size bag do you intend to hit most?
          An excellent question but being new at this my 7” x 10” bag is providing plenty of challenge for the time being. I’m considering purchasing an adjustable platform now though. See this thread:

Comment

• ukspeedbag
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

No problem StevieMac. Adjustable is the way to go.

Comment

• fingers
              Speed Bag Guru
              • May 2008

I use a wooden pallet trimmed to size with one of my platforms! as your skills increase you will probably scale down to a smaller bag! i also have an adjustable platform but like UK i never adjust it i just set it at a height suitable for a 8x5 bag (my preferred size) hope this helps and welcome to the best forum on the web!

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                No problem StevieMac. Adjustable is the way to go.
                X2

At some point you'll probably want to hit on small (short) and big (tall) bags, and having an adjustable platform is the easiest way to deal with it.

The Balazs i-Box is an outstanding adjustable board that is relatively economical (considering the quality it's a STEAL). Easy to adjust with no tools needed also.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...