Will something this simple actually work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe
    • May 2010

Will something this simple actually work?

Just curious... I found this while surfing the net today. The all new GhettoSwivel.

(apologies if its already been posted) Kinda wondering if this would actually work.

Last edited by Joe; 08-18-2010, 01:36 PM. Reason: I kant spel so good
    sigpic
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

It works, Billy Mack wrote about it a while back

Last edited by paranday; 08-18-2010, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Funny you should mention this... I was just going to try this out myself.

You know...I was on a "shoe-string" budget when raising my 3 boys. You do what you gotta do to make somethin' work...
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• crapshoot
        • Apr 2010

If you look at the old pics, it was essentially the same thing without the swivel.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          It works

Favorite speed bag brand and size:
          Everlast gold/black 6x4, plus the same in 9x6 for learning certain combos. Shoelace tie-on swivel.

This is from your Profile, Paranday. So, I guess you can certainly attest to it...

How long will the lace last, on average? (I'm assuming that you probably wrap it 3 or 4 times through the hole...)
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
            Favorite speed bag brand and size:
            Everlast gold/black 6x4, plus the same in 9x6 for learning certain combos. Shoelace tie-on swivel.

This is from your Profile, Paranday. So, I guess you can certainly attest to it...

How long will the lace last, on average? (I'm assuming that you probably wrap it 3 or 4 times through the hole...)
            I wrap it three times. I change bags often enough that I don't know how long it lasts. Weeks I guess, maybe months. Cotton shoelace on shiny stainless steel glides with little friction.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Wonder how many MPH you could hit?

Was thinking of getting some parachute cord from a marina store and doing away with swivel altogether. May have to drill a small hole in the plat and tie the two ends together on top or knot it to the loop and pass one end thru the plat and knot it. There may be a problem with it twisting up. Did buy a shackle, I believe they call it, that has a 1/4" pin and fits where the chain link goes. I did notice the strap twisting a couple times and am afraid it may wear out quicker since it's tighter on the loop than the chain link. I think it's quieter but the top bearing still has play in it.
              Attached Files

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
                Was thinking of getting some parachute cord from a marina store and doing away with swivel altogether. May have to drill a small hole in the plat and tie the two ends together on top or knot it to the loop and pass one end thru the plat and knot it. There may be a problem with it twisting up. Did buy a shackle, I believe they call it, that has a 1/4" pin and fits where the chain link goes. I did notice the strap twisting a couple times and am afraid it may wear out quicker since it's tighter on the loop than the chain link. I think it's quieter but the top bearing still has play in it.
                I'll be interested in what you learn with this approach.

The photos below show one experiment I have tried. Ordinary 1/2" block bearing with the seals and grease removed to get it to spin more freely. These bearings are overkill, heavy duty. Would like to find some off-the-shelf bearing assembly that would have low inertia on the spinning part, and a smaller size. I have another block bearing from the food service industry that's made of delrin with stainless steel balls. It spins freely like crazy, but I think it is a bit on the weak side, and it rattles. And it is more expensive.

I want to try this block bearing swivel with the leather strap idea of aad03, but have been too busy lately to make anything other than excuses. Not sure about the friction of leather in this type design, because the shoelace does most of the movement that the ball of the ball-hook usually does, and therefore needs to be low-friction. The swivel shown is very quiet, almost silent, the bag does all the talking.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by paranday; 08-19-2010, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...