• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

How To Advice for Outdoor Platform Drum construction

I am going to build an outdoor speedbag drum for and existing platform. If any one has pictures/advice on where to purchase one, or how to construct one it would be greatly appreciated. I will also be checking all the past pictures posted to see if there is already something in the forum. I would appreciate it if anyone knows of a post that has already taken place that I may have overlooked in the forum.

As of now, I will probably screw and glue treated 2x4's together and grind it down smooth like a butcher block cutting board concept and mount that on the existing brackets.

I would like to make it indistructible in order to withstand the test of time outdoors.

Can't wait to see the ideas you bagger's have!!!
    Yes
    90.91%
    No
    9.09%
    No that you've mentioned it yes
    0.00%
    Not at all
    0.00%
    Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 10-02-2010, 06:01 PM. Reason: tried to correct a spelling error in survey question but couldn't
    Novaspeedbagger
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Wonder if a salvage yard would have some sort of aluminum plate to use for the drum instead of wood? Or stainless steel.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
      Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Depends on the environment your are in. Anything wood requires treatment to keep the elements from breaking it down. Just consider how decks have to be maintained to keep them from rotting, warping, cracking etc. The drum and framework that hold it up have to withstand the elements. Would be best to keep the setup under cover, then you could bag even if it is raining, snowing or the sun is scortching. Would be a shame to build something nice that gets destroyed by something other than your punching. Just make sure the bag has a smooth solid surface to rebound off of. Even if the platform can withstand the elements, remember that most swivels are metal and will rust, so mount it solid but repeatably removable. You may get good advice from local hardware stores like Home Depote where you buy materials that know the environemnt you are building in. Some give instructions on construction and would help on building a solid rig. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

I'd go with metal...

I use an all-metal free-standing platform. It's right outside the garage – in the soggy Pacific NW. I have a small area that is covered with some semi-transparent corrugated roofing, so I have natural light year-round and I stay dry. Trainer Raul (my spouse) has been "perfecting" the free-standing platform since he was a teenager. He's pretty happy with this metal one. And I am too. It's what I've worked out on since I first began last August. I was pretty surprised at the difference in bag rebound when I tried out a wood platform for the first time. I had been spoiled with the great rebounding qualities of the metal drum. I guess wood is porous, thus less bounce of the bag, metal or fiberglas is non-porous, so it would make sense that you'd have better rebounding of the bag, right?

There is a definite difference in tone/sound of the speed bag on a metal drum... it's all I know, so I guess it works for me...

As for durability... you can't beat a metal platform. This platform has been up for nearly 10 years. When I took up this sport last year, the post and drum part were rusty, but, we just sanded and painted it. My early videos on YouTube shows the transformation of the platform.

I think the main reason for my continued interest – P A S S I O N – for speed-bagging is the metal drum.

Geez, sounds like a sales pitch or something!

But, I digress...

Trainer Raul also built a free-standing wood platform a few months ago. With just a little more work–like a roof over it)–it could probably be kept outside. But, like Piefurz says, wood requires A LOT more maintenance... I've posted a picture of the wood one in my Profile Album, if you're interested in seeing what it looks like. I think all the materials–wood, screws, glue–including the 24" round tabletop came to around $125. And yes, I helped build it – well, a little...
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• PIEFURZ
          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

After a little more thinking

It would be neat to hang a platform in the center of a gazebo. Could be made solid if it isn't adjustable. Not sure how one would make it adjustable. If you are tall the platform would be fairly high and not get in the way of most people when not in use. You could stand in any direction.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

It's too bad the pics of Billy Macks' platform are no longer available. He built a adjustable ceiling mount that could be raised and lowered with an winch.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Aug 2010

PIEFURZ - Would this concept work in the center of a gezebo

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
              It would be neat to hang a platform in the center of a gazebo. Could be made solid if it isn't adjustable. Not sure how one would make it adjustable. If you are tall the platform would be fairly high and not get in the way of most people when not in use. You could stand in any direction.
              Hey PIEFURZ, I saw this on one of Fingers posts and thought it might work on your center mount Gazebo concept.

It may take a bit of modification to make it work but if you mount a pipe flange on the top of the drum and a galvanized pipe threaded the entire length of the pipe, then add a height adjusting mechanism similar to the one from protec, you could raise the platform upward by turning the entire drum clockwise to the desired height when not in use.

Or, you could purchase this one and design the Gazebo to camoflague the mounting brackets into it's structure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Idea for center mount on gazebo PRO-KIT-sml.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	87750

Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Cool

Will have to look for vids of one of these in action to see how solid it is. May need to make the gazebo out Steel.

Comment

• pezzaio
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                  I use an all-metal free-standing platform. It's right outside the garage – in the soggy Pacific NW. I have a small area that is covered with some semi-transparent corrugated roofing, so I have natural light year-round and I stay dry. Trainer Raul (my spouse) has been "perfecting" the free-standing platform since he was a teenager. He's pretty happy with this metal one. And I am too. It's what I've worked out on since I first began last August. I was pretty surprised at the difference in bag rebound when I tried out a wood platform for the first time. I had been spoiled with the great rebounding qualities of the metal drum. I guess wood is porous, thus less bounce of the bag, metal or fiberglas is non-porous, so it would make sense that you'd have better rebounding of the bag, right?

There is a definite difference in tone/sound of the speed bag on a metal drum... it's all I know, so I guess it works for me...

As for durability... you can't beat a metal platform. This platform has been up for nearly 10 years. When I took up this sport last year, the post and drum part were rusty, but, we just sanded and painted it. My early videos on YouTube shows the transformation of the platform.

I think the main reason for my continued interest – P A S S I O N – for speed-bagging is the metal drum.

Geez, sounds like a sales pitch or something!

But, I digress...

Trainer Raul also built a free-standing wood platform a few months ago. With just a little more work–like a roof over it)–it could probably be kept outside. But, like Piefurz says, wood requires A LOT more maintenance... I've posted a picture of the wood one in my Profile Album, if you're interested in seeing what it looks like. I think all the materials–wood, screws, glue–including the 24" round tabletop came to around $125. And yes, I helped build it – well, a little...
                  HI, i was wondering what you made the metal drum out of and if you think covering a wooden drum with metal such as applying a thin piece of aluminum or tin to the bottom of the drum would result in better rebounds. Thanks

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by pezzaio View Post
                    HI, i was wondering what you made the metal drum out of and if you think covering a wooden drum with metal such as applying a thin piece of aluminum or tin to the bottom of the drum would result in better rebounds. Thanks
                    My S.O. ("Significant Other") – Trainer Raul – has been building and refining his homemade platforms for the past 30+ years. He's a builder and every time he would move into a house he built, he would construct a "bigger and better" setup... The one I work out on is his favorite – built about 10 years ago. It's plenty solid. I think he told me that he went to a scrap metal business, found himself a 1/2-inch plate of steel (not sure if it was already round, or it he had it cut to this shape). He welded it to a 6-inch square metal pole (that he poured into concrete) & is about 7-8 ft tall, with welded rebar from the top of the steel plate to the top of the metal pole, and then took some squishy (pipe insulation?) to use it to cover the edge of the steel for protection from accidentally hitting it with a fist. I think it's about 30-32 inches in diameter – plenty big enough to handle the biggest bag. Very solid.

I have a wood (freestanding) platform that he built (check out my photo album on my Profile page), and he has pondered over the idea of attaching a thin sheet of metal (probably aluminum) to the round platform made from a Home Depot tabletop. If he gets around to doing it in the near future, I'll post pictures... I'm anxious for him to try this, as I think it would allow for better "play" of the bag... a harder surface is certainly going to give one the best rebounding of the bag, I would think.
                    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• pezzaio
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Mar 2009

Thank you for that great info. I did look at your photo album that platform is really cool ,great construction.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...