• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skillz
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2010

speedbag problems

hello i was recently given BBE speedbag and since i have put it up i have had problems. first is that the swivel keeps turning to the side which is very annoying and theres nothing i can do to stop it doing this, and second is the bag dont seem to have any bounce especially when i hit it hard it just seems to vibrate alot. i put it up using big screws and raw plugs in the wall....thats the best i can explain it but i have pictures of the speed bag and the swivel if anyone wants to see.....please help!
  • skillz
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2010

here are some pictures of my speedbag set up and the swivel.
    Attached Files

Comment

• riqal
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2006

add about a 20-25 pound bag of sand on top, get an everlast chainlink swivel, and a much smaller bag and you'll have some good results.

Comment

• skillz
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by riqal View Post
        add about a 20-25 pound bag of sand on top, get an everlast chainlink swivel, and a much smaller bag and you'll have some good results.
        will that fit on my speedbag tough? like does 1 size fit all? (im using a BBE speedbag)

Comment

• fingers
          Speed Bag Guru
          • May 2008

That was the first bag i ever owned!! i soon discovered it was way to hard and not even a good shape so i would replace it if i was you also the swivel !! i think you may need stronger screws to fix it to the wall best to use raw bolts also you may want to double the thickness of the drum! sorry to bring bad news but this will save you a lot of frustration in the future, welcome to the forum everyone will be glad to offer any advice you need.

Comment

• skillz
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by fingers View Post
            That was the first bag i ever owned!! i soon discovered it was way to hard and not even a good shape so i would replace it if i was you also the swivel !! i think you may need stronger screws to fix it to the wall best to use raw bolts also you may want to double the thickness of the drum! sorry to bring bad news but this will save you a lot of frustration in the future, welcome to the forum everyone will be glad to offer any advice you need.
            sorry to sound stupid but what is the "drum"??

Comment

• skillz
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2010

i just checked the packet for the raw plugs and screws....the plugs are 50mm and the screws are 60mm...is this enough???

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

No probs Skillz!! the drum is the round piece of wood the speedball bounces on! check out my album and see what i did to make it thicker! this will reduce vibration and give a better rebound.

Comment

• crapshoot
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by skillz View Post
                  sorry to sound stupid but what is the "drum"??
                  The drum is the part that the swivel is attached to that allows the bag to rebound. Also known as the platform.

(Personally, I distinguish between the two to keep it simpler. "My platform (the brackets/hardware/swivel/drum) has an inch thick drum". Just a personal preference because I am weird LOL )
                  Last edited by crapshoot; 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• skillz
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                    No probs Skillz!! the drum is the round piece of wood the speedball bounces on! check out my album and see what i did to make it thicker! this will reduce vibration and give a better rebound.
                    is that thick piece of wood you put on top of the drum attached to the wall in anyway? or is it actually attached to the drum or just weighed down by the bag of sand on top? also may i ask where you got your bags and swivels from?

Comment

• fingers
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • May 2008

Glued to the drum and bolted to the frame just drilled through and used longer bolts! got most of my bags from sugar rays UK!! imported swivels from Germany and US but you can get a decent swivel from sugar rays to start on you may want to change as you progress.

Comment

• crapshoot
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by skillz View Post
                        is that thick piece of wood you put on top of the drum attached to the wall in anyway? or is it actually attached to the drum or just weighed down by the bag of sand on top? also may i ask where you got your bags and swivels from?
                        It isn't attached to the wall. It is attached to the drum (you're just making the drum thicker). You will have to get longer bolts for the brackets and the swivell if they aren't long enough to go through all the way.

The sand bag goes on top. Just make sure you wrap it up and protect it from the ends of the swivel bolts. I would recommend putting a bowl or something over the bolts and put the sand bag over that.

Comment

• skillz
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jun 2010

thanks guys you have been a great help! one last thing what size should the screws/bolts be to attach it to the wall? im currently using 50mm raw plugs and 60 mm screws...it seems to keep the whole thing up ok without coming loose....altough im guessing adding the extra weight (sandbag, wood) may change that. also will any swivel fit my drum??
                          Last edited by skillz; 06-09-2010, 03:46 PM. Reason: extra comment

Comment

• fingers
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • May 2008

swap for this type of fixing if possible http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88686/...0Pack%20of%205 you may have to just drill new holes for any new swivel nuts and bolts are more secure.
                            Last edited by fingers; 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...