X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

Standards rant (only a little)

What is the problem with size standards? MsD's post on the size comparison between her new bag and old one got me thinking about how screwy the sizing is among bags. I checked my bags last night and the vinyl bag that came with my set is labeled M but the leather bag is labeled S and they are almost identical in size. I also looked at the black leather bag which is labeled M, and it looks 1/3 smaller than either of the other two. And, they are all Everlast bags!

It's not so bad if they provide the actual measurements, but when all you have to go on is S, M, etc. shouldn't they have some basis in reality?

It's almost like the Middle/Dark ages where measurements varied depending on where you were.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

When they provide bag measurements they don't get those right, either. Guess it's like at the lumber yard, where a 2x4 is not that size. But at least the lumber guys are consistent.

Comment

• crapshoot
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      When they provide bag measurements they don't get those right, either. Guess it's like at the lumber yard, where a 2x4 is not that size. But at least the lumber guys are consistent.
      At least with lumber the "2x4" measurement is the "nominal" (green wood) dimensions. The actual 1.5x3.5 is after drying (the measurements get screwy after the 2x6's or 8's but that info is standardized and you can find that on the net or, as you pointed out, the lumberyard guys.

Of course, it gets more complicated in England where they are "4x2"

As an aside, if you look at woodworking books from 40-50 years ago, they actually had 2x4's, but I am drifting.

It can be really frustrating not knowing what you are getting, especially when, if they do provide the dimensions, those are off.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I totally agree! I've been saying this since I was a toddler!
        OK maybe not for that long, but for a while!
        Just give us to dimensions (dementia free of course!) of the
        * length from top of strap to bottom
        *width from the side of widest part of bag
        ** then, put the inches (and fraction of, and in metric for Euro) around the fattest part of bag, I think that might help too
        *then can we request that all companies get on board and simply describe the bag characteristics.... yes, fast is fast, slow is slow......
        It is pretty obvious to anyone that has a company that makes speed bags how to rate it to other bags whether it be feel, speed, rebound reaction, weight, density,etc...
        this isn't hard as these are things they have to discuss and analyze whilst desingning bags! Just fill the consumer in...
        The worst is Everlast's whole system.. "in trianing, pro, beginner, advanced, amatuer, olympian, sheet metal worker, cab driver, boxer, gymnast?????".....haha... I'm kidding but they don't give any exact size. They give S, M and L. But they have their system that has letters like "Ta:S" ???what??
        Anyhow....
        I'd have awesome names for my bags!
        And people would remember it! Plus I'd give the exact size description too!
        Names like :
        "The Starving Cheetah" (XS and S for the fastest bag with some density)
        "The Power Turtle" (S and slow for a speedy, semi powerful workout)
        "The Charging Rhino" (L and pretty fast)
        "The Hummingbird" (XXS and super fast)
        etc..... you get it.... it would be great...
        don't steal my idea!
        If anyone wants to go in making up some news bags... lets do it..
        I love the name "Psycho Swivel" as I wrote a song called "Psyched To Be Psycho" and then Skunk started calling us the Psycho Speed Baggers..
        Hey, anyone who needs a new name should grab "Speed Bag Badger"..
        that is great!!
        Anyhow, "Psycho Speed Bags" is a great name, but that would only happen if parlayed with the dude (the name escapes me) who coined the term "Psycho Swivel" .....
        If not, then maybe "Animal Speed Bags" ("Bag Like An Animal" haha)
        or... "Bagadonia Speed Bag Co." (make up a fictitious country, haha)
        Or... "Badger Speed Bags" or something....
        there ya have it!!!!
        BAG ON!

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          I
          Anyhow, "Psycho Speed Bags" is a great name, but that would only happen if parlayed with the dude (the name escapes me) who coined the term "Psycho Swivel" .....
          TommyT , he used a basketball as a speed bag. Yeah, he's psycho, so it does fit.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...