X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monkeychops08
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2010

Hi Biff - thanks for the links - will have a look at them tonight after work.

Arms are aching this morning but hey, no pain no gain right!

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Monkeychops08 View Post
      Hi MsDeville - thanks for the tips - I found some small bags of peat in my garage so they are both on top of my platform now.
      I did 30 mins on the bag after work, couldnt wait to get home to use it I got some gloves with the platform set so have been using them, but also got some wraps with it too, so will try those out at the weekend.
      I cant wait to need a new wardrobe.

My swivel makes alot of squeeking which I hope wont annoy my neighbours too much!

How long would you say it takes to get to a good standard?

Should you stand square on when hitting the bag or take more of a boxing stance?
      Hi MC, how are you getting on? Just to answer a few more questions:

You might have a basic type swivel that came with your platform. Is there a brand name on your board like BBE for example? I had one like this which was very loud and squeaky. When I decided that I was gonna keep going with the speed ball I got a better swivel which was a LOT quieter and also smoother. It fitted into the same holes in my BBE platform no probs.

I reckon you should grasp the basic punching rhythm in a few days of practice. Then add in new techniques as you go along... that's where the fun starts. I watched hours of videos on youtube and alan kahns site to learn from. I guess I started more than a year ago now, but joined this foum a few months back.

One tip - whatever punches you do with your right hand, also learn to do with your left hand, always aim to keep even and symmetrical.

I do tend to stand pretty square on when using the speedbag, but sometimes I adopt a boxing stance and do a boxing style striking workout and move around the ball etc. I'm trying NOT to get in the habit of standing rooted to the spot actually!

Good luck, have fun!

These pics show the new swivel which I use now and the old noisy swivel that came with my platform: What's yours like?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Monkeychops08
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2010

Hi Mrs M.
        Yeh, it is a basic platform, bought it off ebay for £25 + P&P. Its an RDX one - well, it came with RDX accessories anyway, there is no brand name on the board. My swivel is a metal one with a ball - its the ball thats squeeks - I might try putting a bit of oil or vaseline round it....

I can defo see me sticking with it, its like my boxercise classes, I love them.
        I think I have grasped it pretty quick so far, but I am dropping my hands between each double punch and I know you are supposed to keep your hands up. I think the bag that I have got is a real basic one (Which I wouldnt expect anything else for what I paid) as I find it pretty slow and really have to whack it to get some speed out of it, which means I have to put alot of weight behind each punch. I am making sure I use both hands, dont worry

My arms and shoulderblades are really feeling it today - ha ha.

Comment

• crapshoot
          • Apr 2010

I think all the lower priced models, like the one I got from Everlast, are all made the same way with the pressboard platform/drum and some kind of supporting platform.

As for the swivel, until you swap it out for another, I would recommend another lubricant. I think someone on this forum mentioned it and I saw a similar recommendation, of all places, a review for a cot! It makes sense that the usual suspects would be the first to turn to, but they break down and run when heated up. The suggestion was rubbing the metal to metal contact with bar soap.

Comment

• Monkeychops08
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2010

Thanks crapshoot, but what is bar soap??

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Bar of soap

Originally posted by Monkeychops08 View Post
              Thanks crapshoot, but what is bar soap??
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he is refering to your typical bar of hand soap.
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• crapshoot
                • Apr 2010

Sorry Monkeychops. MsD is correct. I was referring to a bar of soap with which you would wash hands or bathe.

I guess Winston was right when he said, "...Two nations divided by a common language"

Comment

• Monkeychops08
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2010

LOL, now I feel silly, doh!

Coolio, will try it tomorrow, I already did 1/2 hour on it this morning and am off oout tonight, so only got enough time now to eat, bath and get my LBD on.

Have a nice evening all

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...