X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

First bag repair

Well, I finally got my bags. Pumped them all up and they look nice. Unfortunately, my durahide had a pinhole about halfway up the belly. I decided to go for it and started to unlace the bag. All the while, the warning about how hard changing bladders running through my head.

Could they make the opening smaller?! Why don't they have the opposing side laced too? I knew I had to reach in, but that was like wrestling a snake out of its skin. I have small hands and I barely got my fingers in. Anyway, got it out and fond the leak. Being that it was about midnight I decided to try the old standby....duct tape. Got it all back in and managed to lace it up. Pumped it up and it looked great. Unfortunately, this morning it went soft so I will go get a tire patch kit and try it again.
  • biguglybear
    • Mar 2010

I tried the duct tape, too, once. That lasted about a week. And yeah, changing bladders is a bitch!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Bladders can be a bit nasty especially when you have to change one.

If you haven't already tried this, pull and push the bag. Using a broom handle, push the bag up from where the valve is while pulling the bladder at the same time.

Comment

• crapshoot
        • Apr 2010

Well, I got 'er done, to quote Larry the cable guy. Patched and holding air after 36 hours. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the valve through the hole, even trying to use the needle nose pliers. I could get them through and to the valve, but couldn't get them open enough to get the valve. I just lined it up as best I could and it seems to do the trick.

On a related note, I now see why the everhide/durahide (I've seen it listed under both) model has gotten such mediocre reviews. Along at least one of the seams, the stitching is OVER the welt (I'll post pics as soon as I get new batteries). I don't expect the bag to last very long.

And, I found a great little pump at Sports Authority (I think someone else mentioned it in another earlier post) with an integrated gauge. It comes in handy until one gets an eye or feel for the proper inflation.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by crapshoot; 05-18-2010, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
          Well, I got 'er done, to quote Larry the cable guy. Patched and holding air after 36 hours. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the valve through the hole, even trying to use the needle nose pliers. I could get them through and to the valve, but couldn't get them open enough to get the valve. I just lined it up as best I could and it seems to do the trick.

On a related note, I now see why the everhide/durahide (I've seen it listed under both) model has gotten such mediocre reviews. Along at least one of the seams, the stitching is OVER the welt (I'll post pics as soon as I get new batteries). I don't expect the bag to last very long.

And, I found a great little pump at Sports Authority (I think someone else mentioned it in another earlier post) with an integrated gauge. It comes in handy until one gets an eye or feel for the proper inflation.
          Just for future reference, I posted an idea I came up with some time ago. the link is here

Comment

• crapshoot
            • Apr 2010

Sheer genius! Thanks. Hopefully, I won't have to use it anytime soon LOL

I am half-tempted to re-do it

That should probably be a sticky.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...