• Mrs Mitts
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Feb 2010

Welcome aboard Jimmy!

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Welcome JS, and you're right, this is an awesome place.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jimmyspeed View Post
        i just found out about the forum here
        this is awesome
        looking forward to participate soon.
        take care
        Welcome!!! We're here to help, just let us know if you have questions.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

Welcome jimmyspeed!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Welcome!
            Seems like you got it all together....
            now its just a matter of baggin'!
            BAGON!

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jimmyspeed
              it came out real solid. is this a typical idea out there? any pros & cons about butcher block? as i mentioned i am relatively new to this but i realy am in to it now.
              thanks again
              Sounds good Jimmy. You may find that add'l weight over the platform will help deaden unwanted vibrations even further. A bag of sand, wrapped in plastic and tape seems to work pretty well. Upgrading the board is always a good idea, but the sand bag will help even more.

Comment

• jimmyspeed
                • Apr 2010

tim, thanks that sounds great .
                i will try that out .
                jimmyspeed

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jimmyspeed
                  just added some small bags of sand on the top of the platform , thanks tim , i noticed a difference.
                  also just received the speed bag bible dvd.
                  can anyone explain the book compared to the dvd. what is the book like ?
                  thanks
                  There are a few main differences between the Book (text) and DVD (video). The obvious difference is in the book explains things in Text, but you can't really see and hear it (speed bag is very "sound" or "audio" specific). In the video you get to see and hear the techniques and combinations. Published in the days before laptop computer DVD players, The book could be used under the board during your work out. It has a system of writing very specific speed bag combinations for you to follow. Like sheet music if you play an instrument. For instance, You can watch and hear a drummer play a great solo, but you probably won't learn how he does it by just watching and listening. And when you get to your drums, you won't remember what he did. Sheet music is the key for musicians to reproduce it all over and over, and the Text exercises in The Speed Bag Bible were developed to do the same thing, as well as explain why certain things work and gives you tips to make learning the whole thing easier.

The Book and video are also different in that each presents some of the information in a different sequential order. That is because it was difficult to shoot and produce a video in the order that the first few skills are presented in the book.

in the Book you would see that chapter 4 "Seven Basic Techniques" are the four fist punching techniques from the front of the bag, and then the three Outward Elbow Techniques. Those seven techniques all use the front of the bag. Repetitive punching from the same side uses the triplet rhythm and that is easier for most people than the rhythmic change created when passing to other sides. For beginners, hitting from the same side is usually easier than hitting from different sides -(which requires the skill to pass the fists through the bag) so the book starts with those seven techniques from the same side (front of the bag). Then the book (chapter 5) covers the Three Reverse Techniques and "linking", which is passing the fists through the bag, using the double bounce rhythm. Then chapters 6 and 7 cover more elbow strikes. The book was done several years before the video's were shot.

The order presented in the book (easier for most to learn) did no equate well to a video sequence. It was much easier, and made more sense to have all the elbow strikes together in one section, so the order on the DVD starts with "Seven basic PUNCHES" (as opposed to 7 techniques), four from the front, three from behind and linking skills. After that, All the elbow strikes are taught together. This video order of presentation also allows you to learn linking the fists through the bag to the reverse techniques from each elbow category.

Both systems teach the same skills and by the time you get to the side techniques in the book or DVD you would be equal. On any given day an argument can be made about one order of presentation being better than the other, but I'm not sure it matters. There are lots of baggers that used only one system (book or DVD, not both) and learned all the material so it comes down to whether you would rather read or watch/listen.

Anyway, that's the difference. I hope it helps.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...