• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by jimcaher View Post
    ...I find it curious that swivel makers (i.e. Everlast) have turned a deaf ear to the needs of Schreoder/Kahn style baggers as opposed to boxing style slammers. They persist in developing hinge type swivels while discontinuing the ball hook.

Jim Caher
    I find it curious that some companies sell equipment not ideally constructed for bagging. I used to believe that a speed bag gathers no dust. It's too addictive. But you will find plenty gathering dust. How many people have given up because of poorly designed equipment?

Comment

• operator3
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      How did your hybrid hook work with the Watkins ball? Wondering if the joint where the eyehook connects to the s-hook is even necessary. It's a point of wear, does it serve a useful function?
      I haven't gotten it up and running yet. Should be together this week. As far as the need for extra linkage goes, I don't think it's necessary. If you can find or make one piece of metal to stick out of the ball, you should be ok. As long as you don't limit the travel of the hardware by making contact with the swivel housing.

Comment

• Griffin
        • Jan 2010

Exactly. One hook should do it if it's not making contact with the housing. That would make it even smoother... nice!

Comment

• operator3
          • Mar 2010

Yeah, I'm excited to get a nice swivel out there. It might take a little time to get it all worked out, but in the end we'll have the perfect swivel (no offense Clubber).

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hi Biff, the only issue I had with this outfit is when I ordered my swivel, I also paid for the "Small Hook". When I recieved the swivel, it came with another "Long Hook" (like the one that comes with it). I called and talked to a guy who told me, "No problem, we'll send one right out to you". I asked if he wanted the "wrong" hook that they sent me, and he replied, "That's allright, you can just keep it". Well, needless to say I haven't recieved "SQUAT" from them. That was back in January. They must be a smaller outfit, their inventory seems to be small, customer service is practically non-existent. I haven't seen this swivel sold elswhere, how can these BOZO's have the market cornered on the ever popular "Watkins all Metal Swivel"? There's got to be another place to get them. I wonder if Alan might know?
            We should try and buy them "DIRECT" from the manufacturer. With a group the size of the forum, we could be placing some huge orders. I know I'd like to buy 2 or 3 more myself.
            Last edited by TJ_MaTee; 03-21-2010, 06:23 PM.
            T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• operator3
              • Mar 2010

And that's why I'm going to make it happen. There's no reason that we can't make our own swivel. Made by baggers for baggers. Being displeased with all of the BS from retailers is what motivates me to have an awesome product that WE control. I'm gonna do my best to create the perfect swivel. As long as I can get everyone on board, we should be able to make the best swivel possible readily available to the ones that need and deserve it the most. It really shouldn't be too hard. And if I can, I'll make a mold of the everlast plastic base. That way if they really do discontinue it, we can bring it back from the dead.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Swivel

Originally posted by operator3 View Post
                I just got home and saw A USPS box at my door. Its my new Watkins swivel!! I immediately pulled it apart and looked at it. We could definitely get one of these mass produced. Im wondering if it would be better to go with a newer material that would have a SUPER long life. It might cost more initially, but you would probably only need to buy 1. We could use the same materials that they make hip replacements with. That would guarantee a really long life. Any other suggestions are welcome.Even if we made these out of steel, They would be precision machined and last FOREVER. They would cost a little more than the Watkins, but they would be worth it. I attached my hybrid hook to my Watkins ball. This kinda gives me the benefits of the loop hook and the ball hook. It looks like it might actually work out pretty well. Cant wait to get it crankin.

Hey Operator, that's a really nice design you've got, and your right about having a swivel disigned for baggers "by" baggers. On your design, the piece coming from the ball that's welded to the shackle (where the bag attaches) it's one solid piece. On the Watkins swivel, the point where the "hook"(That the bag attatches) loops around the metal loop that's attached to the "ball". At that "point", you've got an extra point for movement. This point on the Watkins swivel would seem to give a "freer", movement when hitting the bag from any angle. It's similar in comparison to the "U" bolt swivels like ScissorHands uses. I know my opinion
                is "splitting hairs", but when side punching, any slight resistance when the swivel is in the wrong position can throw off your rebound.
                I know that it's personal preference too.
                Is the metal you were talking about a type of Titanium? If so, it would probably be lighter in weight. Anyway, just some food for thought.
                Thanks my man.
                T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• operator3
                  • Mar 2010

It's not spliting hairs at all. It's a perfectly valid point. However, I believe since the ball is round, it will give us a *360 rotation without any binding. After all, most people just tape up their linkage anyway right? If that's the case, might as well get rid of extra baggage all together. As for materials, for now I plan on stainless steel. Titanium would be super light, but would be VERY expensive.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

New Swivel

Originally posted by operator3 View Post
                    It's not spliting hairs at all. It's a perfectly valid point. However, I believe since the ball is round, it will give us a *360 rotation without any binding. After all, most people just tape up their linkage anyway right? If that's the case, might as well get rid of extra baggage all together. As for materials, for now I plan on stainless steel. Titanium would be super light, but would be VERY expensive.
                    Good point OP, keep me posted on what developes. I picked up a couple of everlast plastic ball and hook setups last week to hold me over. I'd like to rig up a couple more platforms this summer and will be needing some new swivels.
                    What would you be talking in terms of $$ per swivel. Looks like a great idea.
                    Be interesting to bag with one.
                    What's your experience been like so far (have you hit yours yet)?
                    T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• operator3
                      • Mar 2010

I haven't had mine up yet, but I should very soon. As far as price, nothing solid yet. It will all depend on the numbers I can get produced. If I have to pay more for a better product, I'm all about it. Steel should last a really long time. This week we'll know alot more....

Comment

• Biff
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Well, since my last post of 3/17, Fitness-Equipment has NOT credited my card, even though they said they would take care of it on the 17th. I called today and explained the situation, again. He tells me that my card is scheduled to get credited TOMORROW!!! And to expect to see the credit on-line in a "few days" after that. I held my tongue.

I'll wait 7 more days to see the outcome. If it's not credited by 4/3, then I'll let loose.

It's not a great deal of money; it's just under $30.00. But now it's the principle of the matter. These guys jerked me around for over 3 months, and I've been more than patient.

Once I get my card credited, I will NEVER deal with them again. It's too bad because I've always had good luck with them until recently. But I've had it.

All I ask is to be honest and up-front with the customer. If I call in and order something, TELL me it's not in stock. Don't take the order and let me hope it gets placed. And certainly don't charge my CC, knowing full well the item is back-ordered. I've lost all faith in this company. I don't care how many world-wide orders per day they receive. They'll never get my business again.

Look for another post by 4/3. I hope the credit issue is resolved by then.

And the beat goes on....

O3, keep me updated on your progress. Looks like you may be the supplier for the forum.

Comment

• biguglybear
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                          Well, since my last post of 3/17, Fitness-Equipment has NOT credited my card, even though they said they would take care of it on the 17th. I called today and explained the situation, again. He tells me that my card is scheduled to get credited TOMORROW!!! And to expect to see the credit on-line in a "few days" after that. I held my tongue.
                          Garbage. I guess I got lucky. I'll think twice about ordering from them again. Thanks for the heads up, Biff.

Comment

• gvee127
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Biff View Post

I'll wait 7 more days to see the outcome. If it's not credited by 4/3, then I'll let loose.

It's not a great deal of money; it's just under $30.00. But now it's the principle of the matter. These guys jerked me around for over 3 months, and I've been more than patient.

Once I get my card credited, I will NEVER deal with them again. It's too bad because I've always had good luck with them until recently. But I've had it.

All I ask is to be honest and up-front with the customer. If I call in and order something, TELL me it's not in stock. Don't take the order and let me hope it gets placed. And certainly don't charge my CC, knowing full well the item is back-ordered. I've lost all faith in this company. I don't care how many world-wide orders per day they receive. They'll never get my business again.

Look for another post by 4/3. I hope the credit issue is resolved by then.

And the beat goes on....

O3, keep me updated on your progress. Looks like you may be the supplier for the forum.
                            Hey Biff, that's ridiculous how you've been treated. I'm not planning on ever doing business with them either after my bad experience. If I were you though, I wouldn't waste my time calling them anymore. Call your credit card company and dispute the charge and explain you've been wrongly charged and have them fight it.

Hopefully Operator3's project will work out.

Comment

• operator3
                              • Mar 2010

Yes sir, I'm on my way to the machinist now. I just started a new job and my schedule has prevented me from getting to this. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't put my new watkins up yet because I want to get measurements first. So I've been postponing my own need to bag to get thus done. I'll know more by this evening.

Comment

• operator3
                                • Mar 2010

Had some car issues today on the way to the machine shop. Looks like I blew a CV joint. Frustrating as hell...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...