• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukspeedbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

How To Make a metal ball hook swivel

Having had several people ask how I made the metal ball hook swivel, I decided to post a break down with images.

I started with 2 Everlast swivels, a plastic ball hook and a chain link and stripped them down. (pics #1-2)

I used a 22mm diameter metal ball. These can be purchased from internet sites or in my case, I used vehicle suspension ball joint. The ball will need drilling and tapped out to suit the 'S' hook thread. The thread size is 1.25mm pitch, but this wasn't available to me, so I compromised with a UNC 1/4-20. (pic #3)

I used a cone drill to open the hole up in the chain link lower housing, drilling from the inside to out. Then I cleaned and polished using Emery cloth and wet n dry. (pic #4-5)

I applied a drop of loctite/thread lock to the 'S' hook thread (pic #6)

The ball was dropped into the lower housing and the 'S' hook was screwed in. (pic #7)

I put another drop of loctite onto the lower housing threads. (pic #8)

Both the lower and upper housing were put together. (pic #9)
    Attached Files
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Useful post. Seems there are a number of experimenters out there, great to see your particular success documented.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      Useful post. Seems there are a number of experimenters out there, great to see your particular success documented.
      Paranday, I made a video with me explaining the process. Sam and I were having a bit of a laugh because each time I finished and played it back I never liked it, something to do with my Liverpool accent, so I would have to start again. After about 1 1/2 hrs and a dozen videos later. I was satisfied, then the video came to an end............you could see I was wearing pyjama bottoms!

Comment

• dax_q
        • Jan 2008

Very nice. I am impressed and a little jealous of the skills

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

That's cool. The Everlast metal ball hook lives on ...

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Well, it's like we've said around here. There is nothing inheirently wrong with the design. It was the materials used in the later production that caused the problems.

Comment

• sparrky37
              • Jan 2010

What type of vehicle? upper or lower Ball joint? I have a brand new Chain link and want to convert.
              By the My last name is Gulley which is English it means people by the sea. NJL SJNE CRUCE (nothing without the cross). I'll have to send a pic of my family crest tattoo.
              Last edited by sparrky37; 01-16-2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
                What type of vehicle? upper or lower Ball joint? I have a brand new Chain link and want to convert.
                By the My last name is Gulley which is English it means people by the sea. NJL SJNE CRUCE (nothing without the cross). I'll have to send a pic of my family crest tattoo.
                Jaguar S type upper ball joint. I would guess any motor vehicle would have a similar size 22mm.Just make sure you don't open the hole up too big in the swivel housing. Visit your local scrap yard or pay a visit to your local garage, I'm sure they will have an old wishbone or something lying about.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Aug 2010

Is the process video available to view?

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                  Paranday, I made a video with me explaining the process. Sam and I were having a bit of a laugh because each time I finished and played it back I never liked it, something to do with my Liverpool accent, so I would have to start again. After about 1 1/2 hrs and a dozen videos later. I was satisfied, then the video came to an end............you could see I was wearing pyjama bottoms!
                  Great pics of the swivel creation! Is there a link to view the process in the video format as you mentioned above?
                  Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
                    Great pics of the swivel creation! Is there a link to view the process in the video format as you mentioned above?
                    The video was way to long mate, it would have taken hours to upload to YouTube. I think I deleted it in the end. If I can help you in anyway, just give me a shout.

Comment

• slowhand
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Sep 2010

The drill bit

Any suggestions on getting the drill bit? I see it as a non-stepped, tapered bit, possibly a size 9, is that correct? Great project, though I can't seem to find the bit or the ball yet.

Comment

• baggins
                        • Oct 2010

@ Ukspeedbag

I have read your DIY ball hook swivel with great interest. It made me want to try something similar out as well. I am a former machinist, and could get access to some usefull tools i.e a lathe.

I do have a question however. Instead of making an extra link where the bag attaches, could´nt one make only one link/metal rod, direkt from the metal ball to some form of attachement system, so that the bag can move without so many links to go through? I realise that there is much more work in this, and may be difficult to make, without the right tools, but I can imagine that this would make the bag move more like it is "supposed" to. What I mean in other words, is that maybe only two places the bag can turn, is perhaps better than three.
                        But then again, if this does´nt have anything to say, it will be a waste of time and money. I was just a bit curious

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by baggins View Post
                          ...I do have a question however. Instead of making an extra link where the bag attaches, could´nt one make only one link/metal rod, direkt from the metal ball to some form of attachement system, so that the bag can move without so many links to go through? I realise that there is much more work in this, and may be difficult to make, without the right tools, but I can imagine that this would make the bag move more like it is "supposed" to. What I mean in other words, is that maybe only two places the bag can turn, is perhaps better than three.
                          But then again, if this does´nt have anything to say, it will be a waste of time and money. I was just a bit curious
                          There are some of us who've been thinking that this extra link should go missing. The ball pretty much moves in every direction on its own, so why is this link there other than because of tradition? If you try this modification let us know how it works out.

There are a number of swivel experiments in progress by forum members. I believe the ball hook (and other types) will be perfected by speed baggers who live and breath speed bag.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Nov 2007

I might be wrong but, I think by removing the link and just having a ball and hook, it would slow things down considerably. Correct me if I'm wrong but, when the bag is hit the link swings and the ball kind of follows.

Comment

• baggins
                              • Oct 2010

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think there is some math an engineer could occupie himself with for some hours. Me? I like to try things. I let you know when my experiment is bagged ;-)

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...