• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monkaboy
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2006

Advice on Tapcon screws

Hello, I'm installing a platform that's 50lbs without any additional weight like sandbags ect. My problem is the Tapcon screws that came with the platform look soooo puny. Three questions: will these things hold without pulling out with the weight and the constant vibration? #2 do I need to get hold of a hammer drill? #3 Will the hole in my concrete basement wall provide a place for a crack or leak in the future? Any info would help. Thanks
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by monkaboy View Post
    Hello, I'm installing a platform that's 50lbs without any additional weight like sandbags ect. My problem is the Tapcon screws that came with the platform look soooo puny. Three questions: will these things hold without pulling out with the weight and the constant vibration? #2 do I need to get hold of a hammer drill? #3 Will the hole in my concrete basement wall provide a place for a crack or leak in the future? Any info would help. Thanks
    I've never had any problem with Tapcon screws pulling out as long as you use the correct masonry bit sitze.

# 2: It's not necessary to have a hammer drill but it sure makes it a lot easier and you don't burn up the bits.

#3: I don't think so, but if you already have serious problems with water leakage, it may make it worse. You don't need to drill the hole all the way through though, just a little longer than the screw.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by monkaboy View Post
      Three questions: will these things hold without pulling out with the weight and the constant vibration?
      I had a wall mount unit that was tapconned into cinder block, it loosened up after awhile, but I think I had tightened the tapcons too much. If you overtighten them it stretches them and they lose effectiveness...

Comment

• shelpdoggSVT
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        I had a wall mount unit that was tapconned into cinder block, it loosened up after awhile, but I think I had tightened the tapcons too much. If you overtighten them it stretches them and they lose effectiveness...
        The one I bought from you came loose from the wall after a short time as well. I am having a rack made from a guy at work and will mount it to that. Then I can hang a heavy bag on it as well.

Comment

• monkaboy
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Oct 2006

I used longer tapcon screws than the ones that came with the platform(drilled into a solid concrete wall) and after a short while they loosened up. Just finished reinstalling the screws with loctite threadlocker glue, so far so good will keep you posted.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...