• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmarino61361
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2009

Brand new to speed bag

Hello,

I just started hitting the speed bag. This forum is great for learning new techniques, finding out about equipment, etc.

I have the basic setup I believe. I think I need a new swivel and possible new bag.

I have attached a pic. If you can provide any suggestions for new swivels or the next bag I should advance to that would be great.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Attached Files
  • RenoRattler
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by dmarino61361 View Post
    Hello,

I just started hitting the speed bag. This forum is great for learning new techniques, finding out about equipment, etc.

I have the basic setup I believe. I think I need a new swivel and possible new bag.

I have attached a pic. If you can provide any suggestions for new swivels or the next bag I should advance to that would be great.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Hey, welcome!

I'm pretty new myself, but I use a similar setup to yours. Swivel and bag choice are largely personal preference. I worked for a while with the exact swivel you have, and liked it. I recently switched to a plastic ball hook swivel, and I prefer it.

My problem with the chain link is when you start hitting from angles other than straight at it, it can affect the rebounds.

The Boxing Gear metal ball hook seems to be the ball hook of choice.

And once you start really bagging, you'll find you need different bags. I already have four..... But it is for a good cause, you can find one that really works for you.

Comment

• dmarino61361
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
      Hey, welcome!

I'm pretty new myself, but I use a similar setup to yours. Swivel and bag choice are largely personal preference. I worked for a while with the exact swivel you have, and liked it. I recently switched to a plastic ball hook swivel, and I prefer it.

My problem with the chain link is when you start hitting from angles other than straight at it, it can affect the rebounds.

The Boxing Gear metal ball hook seems to be the ball hook of choice.

And once you start really bagging, you'll find you need different bags. I already have four..... But it is for a good cause, you can find one that really works for you.

I don't mean to sound silly but the 3rd thing on that page. Not the bottom one correct that is plastic? Or the last one that is plastic?

This one ---- Boxing Gear's® Speed bag Swivel - Triple chrome plated, precision ball Swivel all Steel Construction (NO PLASTIC) Ref: Watkins-Swivel02
      Triple chrome plated, precision ball swivel construction with hook device, extra heavy duty flange mounts securely to platform, easy fastening. No Plastic, all steel - chrome construction. Weights 1.5 pounds, and the mounting plate is thick. Suitable for heavy use areas. Regular Price is $ 29.99. Limited Time price is $ 22.99 .
      Close window

Comment

• RenoRattler
        • Sep 2009

I don't mean to sound silly but the 3rd thing on that page. Not the bottom one correct that is plastic? Or the last one that is plastic?

This one ---- Boxing Gear's® Speed bag Swivel - Triple chrome plated, precision ball Swivel all Steel Construction (NO PLASTIC) Ref: Watkins-Swivel02
        Triple chrome plated, precision ball swivel construction with hook device, extra heavy duty flange mounts securely to platform, easy fastening. No Plastic, all steel - chrome construction. Weights 1.5 pounds, and the mounting plate is thick. Suitable for heavy use areas. Regular Price is $ 29.99. Limited Time price is $ 22.99 .
        Close window
        Right, the third one. Lots of people do use the plastic Everlast though. I use one now, and it is more than sufficient.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hello,

Hi Jason, that setup is probably plenty good for a beginner and will serve you well for quite some time. That Everlast platform is by far the best "bang for the buck". It's adjustable and solid. That chain link swivel will actually make things easier for you, when you start hitting from the sides/back/ and front of the bag though a ball hook would be better. Plastic or metal will work.

Lastly, if you haven't already check out http://www.speedbagcentral.com , Alan posts here as speedbag.

Welcome to the forums. I'm in Altamonte Springs.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...