• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Dean Karnazes!

I started going for some new stuff.... running....
    Well... I have on and off for years... but no real increase just the same ol same ol to try to get in shape.... but now I am trying to make that the priiority and everything else follows if there is time....
    I dont' want to bulk up or add muscle or anything. I want to get old and have less around me to deal with as aging certainly can be enough of a battle.
    So the less weight, the less hassle.....
    That brings me to my #1 motivator ......
    Dean Karnazes...
    Does anyone know of him? He is an Ultra Marathon Man...
    This man is the wizard of wizards. Read his 2 books. "Ultra Marathon Man" and "50/50"
    Please do not simply Wikipedia him or do a quick youtube. That is fine, but to read his words about his life and how he came to do what he does is astounding!
    All of us should check out Dean Karnazes for inspiration and beyond human endurance. His books and his life will make you feel embarrassed when you feel tired! Really! I have been running between 5 and 8 miles 5-6 x's a week for the past 3 all because of reading Dean's books.You can't beat it. It's all mental. When we travel all day and get to the hotel and I am on 4 hours sleep and we have a gig ..... I have been forcing myself to dedicate that hour to getting a run going. I know I feel better every time I complete one. It has always made me feel that I made great use of some free time is many ways!
    I came across Dean's book at a bookstore on the road. I love reading autobiographies of individuals that have kicked ass in their careers. For me, it is usually sports or music related....So I saw the cover of Ultra marathon man and it caught my eye. I couldn't believe what I read and I was glad that I found out about him that way rather than getting a basic overview from seeing him on Letterman or some vid clip....
    I ran back to back 7 milers and two 8 milers with one day off in between...Never done that before.. I haven't ran 7 mies since 1994!
    So what.... why not 10 miles? why not 12? If that...why I am not in a 1/2 marathon in a few weeks? I don't know.... so I go forward.....
    Quick Dean Stuff....
    Runs marathons to warm up!
    Has ran 100 miles non stop....
    200 nonstop....
    over 300 nonstop...
    ran a marathon 26.2 miles from the south pole ...to the south pole...
    ran Badwater in Death Valley (120 degrees) to top of Mt.Whitney.... 135 miles...
    Ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states. Consecutively.
    Did all this with a day job and a wife and 2 kids...
    KNows all about proper dieting ...eats no sugar...
    Orders Hawaiian style pizza while running all night (round table pizza delivers anywhere and takes a credit card while running next to car) and eats it whole like a burrito!
    Is too nice.....
    One of Time mag's top 100 most influential people in the world....
    Sleeps and average of 4.5 to 5 hrs a night....
    Doesn't sit at his desk. He stands and in between emails and phone calls, he does sets of pushups, situps and crunches...
    Doesn't stretch before running!
    His website....

Also, read Running Through The Wall.... other insane ultra marathon stories....

RUN TO THE BAG!
  • jzzkwz
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2009

That's crazy stuff! What an inspiration! And to think I just started imitating jump roping while bagging and have a heck of a time making it through one round - of course I do this at the end of a 14 round workout...LOL

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...