• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Baggist
    Vert Baggin' Master
    • May 2009

I think I have to agree with Alan on this one John. Two points,
    A:You have the physique of an elite athlete half your age!!! and B: You dodge shots from a killer boxing robot that you built and engineered yourself!!! That makes you opposite of wimp!!! Alan reminded me in an earlier post, it's not about what you HAD, it's about what you HAVE RIGHT NOW and making the best of it and it's obvious that you do!!!!

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Speedbag and Baggist, it was not my intention to draw attention to myself, I just try to keep things in honest perspective. Yeah, I can smack that bag and I am truly thankful to God that my shoulder allows me to do that. I can't believe my simple combinations are so much fun to me after doing them for so long. Sorry though, but I don't feel I am near the league you are all in. You allow me in this forum because that is the type of people that are in this forum.

One thing is for sure, how you all hit, I am one big fan. Always was, always will be. Much thanks to Alan and all involved, the art of baggin' will not only live on, but live on to new heights. So what if that sounds corny, we all want to see it live on.

Heal up, Alan.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Firstly, allow me to apologize. I'm late to the party, I've been so busy I've only had time to do the bare minimum on the forums - which is mostly spam busting, answering PMs, backups and security hot fixes. I'll make up for it now

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Several of you have PM'd me as I was approaching post #2000. Well, this was post 2,001. it has been a Space Odyssey of sorts and perhaps a milestone.
        That *is* a milestone, wow! Every forum administrator's dream is to have a member who actually posts more than the administrator does... you've got me beat by a good 500 posts on quantity and an infinite lead in *QUALITY* You've been here since day 1 and the time you have contributed to the speed bag body of knowledge is simply astounding. I always marvel at the detail and attention you put forth on every video or question posted.

Now, over the course of the past 2000 posts, I have met some of THE BEST PEOPLE in the world, the BEST BAGGERS in the world
        I'll second that for sure. This is such a tight knit group, it really is amazing. To have people meeting in person, talking on the phone, lifelong friendships forged over the internet - certainly not unique, but definitely unusual (in a good way).

, and have lived to see others doing things (combinations..) on the speed bag I never imagined, at speeds far beyond mine, and those with Punch Drumming skills that have me clapping and screaming for more. Several members will soon be laying down punch drumming tracks and performances that will also find me in their rear views.
        Haha, yes. I've seen things that have made both made me aspire for more and at other times things so amazing it sapped my enthusiasm to ever bag again (the first time I saw Skunk I couldn't believe such a young guy could be so good at this - and now he's 10x better than when he began!!!)

Think a moment what the posts on this forum has done for us all. It's bringing many of us together, Personally - inside the legendary Speed Bag Truck at Foreigner concerts, inside the House of Blues, inside boxing gyms, our own garages and perhaps to a grand gathering in one location. It's bringing the speed baggers OF THE WORLD together. We've got members and friends throughout the USA, Europe, England, Asia, Australia, China and points beyond. We're sharing pictures of our kids and lives. We're sending each other equipment. We've got Spoofers, Punch drummers, Real Drummers, Psycho baggers, Skunks, Godzilla's, Dogtokes, Ph.Ds, M.D. Engineers, scuba divers, Tatoo artists, and probably a partridge in a pear tree lurking under a keyboard somewhere. Is that great or what??
        It is great. And what's best of all is I can recall almost no instances of disrespect or bad attitudes. Personally I think there is enough sarcasm and negativity on the rest of the internet, we don't need it here! This is more like the speed bag support group!

I have gained many things from my nightly visits here, most importantly the sense of Belonging - being one with a group who either DO understand why we're here and want to learn the ways of the bag. For those that want to learn I have typed long and hard on occassion, and perhaps obsessively, but I confess I have never been one for moderation.
        I'll put in a plug for the "Gold Mine" here (The read only archive section of this forums site) ... this wisdom is archived forever in the digital repository. If you're new to the forums, you should spend some time in that section, it's sort of a "best of the best" and contains particularly valuable or enlightening posts from several people ... but mostly Alan

But I just wanted to thank you all for making this forum what it is. Tim for handling the forum as he does, Always online and quietly eliminating the spam and junk behind the scenes that reduces most forums to crap.
        The technical bits are easy. The real magic is in the content , the people, the participation.

The video posters for taking the shot to bare it all and post your vids for review, and the forum members for keeping their comments respectful, insightful, hopeful and spam free.
        Yes - we all learn from the videos , even of a first time bagger, for it gives us all the opportunity to hone our coaching abilities. The feedback Alan can provide to someone is precise, detailed, and really quite amazing. I've not seen a bagger yet who wasn't interested in getting novices under the board - "You've go to try this" type attitude.

OK. thanks for reading. Now get back under your board....
        ***THANK YOU for all you have done for the art of the bag***

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
        Ok.... so I already typed all this and then lost it as the connection dropped for 30 minutes on the tour bus.. so here is, to the best of memory, what I just typed.....
        Hey Spin - If I'm working on a long post I sometimes will type it up in TextEdit (or Notepad if I'm on a windows box). That way I can save it to my local drive, come back to it later, etc. Then when the "masterpiece" i've written is ready to go , I just cut and paste it into the forums. Hopefully this little bit of advice will help minimize lossage in the future.

Ok, so as I cruise on our tour bus from Indiana, PA, to NYC, I say good night and I love you to my girls in CA on the phone, I finish reading Speedbag's 2001 post and "Dust In The Wind" comes on my iTunes!
        (Well, I won't get all heavy with that. I'll stop yet add the humor later.)
        Hey AK! Thanks for the 2001 posts! Yes, you are an obsessive poster, but we would have it no other way. You are the guy, the Bagger Supreme, Lord Of The Bags, Chairman Of The Board (cred. to Bif for coining that) we all wait to get a response from. Someone needs to be that guy, and I am glad you are him!
        Definitely. Many a time I've thought ... oh good Alan's online, and then I check recent activity and he's replying to my post !!! Hard to believe that can bring so much excitement, but it does !!!

It has been a lot of fun to be able to go from seeing Alan, Skunk, Tim, Dee So, with all this said, there IS only thing one left to say.......

"ALL WE ARE IS BAGS IN THE WIND!'
        That is COOL

Originally posted by Biff View Post
        However, YOU took the time (and financial gamble) to write the definitive book on speed bagging, which I’m sure took a few years time from inception to publication. You recorded hours upon hours of VHS tape to produce your now DVD series. If that’s not dedication to bagging, what is?
        Yes, Alan has helped to document the art of speed bagging in such a way that it can be a foundation for all future speed baggers. The future of the bag is looking bright indeed! Obviously there have been books and movies of the bag in the past, but Alan's specific contribution is the Speed Bag Bible notation and a focus on the beginner and a progression that builds better baggers. Not to mention an incredible amount of detail. The SBB could keep someone busy for a lifetime!

I can’t finish without mentioning Tim Platt, whose foresight and technical skills, created this forum, to provide an environment where those that desire to become proficient with speed bag techniques and combinations can share information and interact with other enthusiasts. Because without the forum, we would not have AK’s 2000 posts to celebrate!
        Again - my part of this is no big deal. It's succeeded beyond my wildest imagination, and for that I am truly happy.

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
        Alan, you're not just a great example about the joys of baggin', but also of attitude and heart.
        Yes, the way Alan treats people is a lesson and an inspiration for all. Believe that I am a better person for having met him and experienced the kindness, mentoring, positive attitude, and passion this man has, those are things that apply far beyond just the bag, but to all aspects of life.

Many of us visit other forums for different aspects of our lives, but this forum certainly ranks up there with the best because the people on it also have a great heart and attitude.
        Again, a forum administrator couldn't ask for a better outcome , I'm so glad so many people find this place useful.
        Last edited by Tim; 10-18-2009, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Again - my part of this is no big deal. It's succeeded beyond my wildest imagination, and for that I am truly happy.
          Again, a forum administrator couldn't ask for a better outcome , I'm so glad so many people find this place useful.
          Tim, it is a big deal! Without your obsession with the speed bag, this forum and the communication it has created wouldn't be happening like it is now, or maybe not at all. Youtube is great, but not nearly as personal. Here, we all know the deal and it starts with respect to all baggers. How many places in any and all walks of like can you occupy a place in and not worry about position, seniority, being laughed at, what you look like, if you are hip, etc...
          Some people are hip because they follow hip and want to be it..... others simply create hip because they were off doing something they love and the "hipsters" began to notice and follow!
          This pear shaped, leather thing that gets punched certainly hasn't made the world a suckier place!
          "All we are is bags in the wind!"

Comment

• MikeTarheel
            • Sep 2009

Tm, please allow me to start by imparting the heartfelt notion that You're Fired!!

With a Blow Torch and High Octane!!

Your responsiveness to issues and administrative talents on this board (and I've been to more then a few) are Without Peer. I am Glad that I can participate and that is due to your efforts.

That Mount on the ship in Wilmington is being scrutinized by my carpenter here who I have challenged to recreate it (all you have to do is challenge this guy....

Thanks for providing your time and creating this board so that doinks like me can have a place to discuss and participate.

Your Balloon is Ready For Lift Off, Sir!!

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by MikeTarheel View Post
              Your Balloon is Ready For Lift Off, Sir!!
              Thanks man, kind words for sure.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...