• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XcrustydemonX
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2009

Building a speed bag

I am new to this site so im not really familiar with everything, but I just wanted to know if anyone knows of a website or something that has step by step instructions on how to build a speed bag mount, or if there is such a thing. I;m looking to put it in my garage which has a wood wall with studs. thanx
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I don't know of step by step instructions, but there a lot of good examples here:

Tips and tricks for mounting your speed bag platform. Ideas, information, and examples of home made or customized platforms

Welcome to the forum, if you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask, this is the friendliest web site on the Internet...

Comment

• Jordan
      • Jun 2009

hey there crusty, welcome to the forums....interesting timing on your post; last night I actually started making my own. I originally bought the everlast black generic board you can find in just about any sporting goods store. It's a good board for a beginner, but I've been having some problems with vibration recently from it, so I wanted a solid peice of wood. I searched the internet ALL OVER to try and find pre-cut circles...couldn't find any. So then I tried just finding a plank of wood that would be about 2 in thick and 2-3 ft wide, again couldnt find anything. Eventually tho, I actually stopped into Lowe's and found that they did in fact have precut circles. The only downside is that they only come in 24 in and 36 in...the 24 in is what my rack came with and the 36 is too big to hang on that rack.
      I went ahead and bought the 24 in myself (if you can find different by all means go for it i would have preferred 30 in) the board itself is a little over 1 in thick and made of solid wood, so it actually makes for a MUCH sturdier board. I mention all this to you, because if you happen to have a lowe's or home depot around, theres really not a lot of instructions you should need (they do most of the work for you.) Once you buy the board, buy some sand paper and sand it to the smoothness you want, drill some holes to attach it to the frame, add a few coats of sealer and your all set. Also I might add that the boards themselves are pine, so if you choose you can stain the wood to your desired color. --I'll have to upload some pics once mine is finished. Hope this helps.

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

Hi and welcome crustydemon
        sigpic

Comment

• Kyle
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
          hey there crusty, welcome to the forums....interesting timing on your post; last night I actually started making my own. I originally bought the everlast black generic board you can find in just about any sporting goods store. It's a good board for a beginner, but I've been having some problems with vibration recently from it, so I wanted a solid peice of wood. I searched the internet ALL OVER to try and find pre-cut circles...couldn't find any. So then I tried just finding a plank of wood that would be about 2 in thick and 2-3 ft wide, again couldnt find anything. Eventually tho, I actually stopped into Lowe's and found that they did in fact have precut circles. The only downside is that they only come in 24 in and 36 in...the 24 in is what my rack came with and the 36 is too big to hang on that rack.
          I went ahead and bought the 24 in myself (if you can find different by all means go for it i would have preferred 30 in) the board itself is a little over 1 in thick and made of solid wood, so it actually makes for a MUCH sturdier board. I mention all this to you, because if you happen to have a lowe's or home depot around, theres really not a lot of instructions you should need (they do most of the work for you.) Once you buy the board, buy some sand paper and sand it to the smoothness you want, drill some holes to attach it to the frame, add a few coats of sealer and your all set. Also I might add that the boards themselves are pine, so if you choose you can stain the wood to your desired color. --I'll have to upload some pics once mine is finished. Hope this helps.
          sounds good. if i ever make a new board i think im going to check local furniture stores for tables and just use the top of that cuz my local lowes doesnt have the circles.
          ________
          Vapour Genie Reviews
          Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• XcrustydemonX
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Aug 2009

thank you all, but yes i do have a lowes and a home depot around my house so i will be going down there really soon to get some wood peices. thank you guys for all ur help i appreciate it, ill be posting some pics once i start to get this thing together!

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by XcrustydemonX View Post
              thank you all, but yes i do have a lowes and a home depot around my house so i will be going down there really soon to get some wood peices. thank you guys for all ur help i appreciate it, ill be posting some pics once i start to get this thing together!
              Yes, please do post pics once you get it together... it will help others down the road. Also , don't hesitate to ask any further questions, we love to talk about the speed bag!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Hey Jordan....
                I willl try to remember to get some pics today at the show.
                The century freestanding platform I bought at the end of July has been in the Speed Bag Truck the whole time. I finally painted it black. It looks cool. But the problem is the way they have the platform set up you have to use their swivel, which isn't that happening. I thought I would have to switch out the whole platform and put a new pice of wood in and make sure all the holes line up, etc.... not so fun to do on the road. But then it hit me; all I need to do is get a piece of wood and glue it and screw it to the existing platform and then screw in my metal ball hook swivel. Since we had shows around CA, I stopped in at a H. Depot, grabbed a 24" pre-cut circle piece of wood and did exactly that. It didn't take long and it is sturdier and cooler!
                Now I need to get the thing on stage and weigh it down and see how it sounds and feels while I am turned semi-sideways to the right as I keep time on my kik drum with my left foot. As long as I can keep some basic patterns locked up, it should be a cool part of a drum solo!

Comment

• Jordan
                  • Jun 2009

Sounds amazing bud, can't wait to see the pics, I've been looking forward to seein that stuff since you first told me about adding it into your kit....you're a pioneer my friend haha.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Sounds amazing bud, can't wait to see the pics, I've been looking forward to seein that stuff since you first told me about adding it into your kit....you're a pioneer my friend haha.
                    Well, I forgot to take pics of the black spray-painted platform. The truck was backed up behind the stage and the bag in the truck was visible to the crowd. WE did the show with the band Kansas playing before. I spaced on the pictured cuz I wanted to bag to "Carry On Wayward Son". Well, I didn't because while they were closing with that, Foreigner was doing a meet and greet.
                    But I did bag a little to "Point Of No Return". That's a great song, but I really wanted to punch drum to the middle jam of Carry On. It rules!
                    I will get pics of the platform next week when we start up again....
                    Kansas' epic hit! It rules! The first version is the original...
                    The next is live vocals to the original track, I think....
                    Vocalist Steve Walsh still sounds this good....

Comment

• Jordan
                      • Jun 2009

OH yeah, I can just hear it now, that song would be awesome to bag to, lots of places for elbows and linking....at least thats what I'm hearin in my head.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...