• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetalMule
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2009

How High on the Wall Can I Drill?

I just bought this adjustable platform:

Speed bag platform can be easily adjusted to ideal height for any athlete. Platform comes complete with swivel, two brace boards, assembly hardware and full rubber edge binding for safety. Complete and ready for assembly. Compatible with double-end bags and double-end anchor (sold separately). Measures 24" in diameter;

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm 6'6" and will be mounting the platform on an eight-foot-tall wall. After opening the box, I held one of the metal poles (the vertical poles in the photo) vertically against the wall, with the top end about three inches below the ceiling, then held my speed bag (an Everlast "medium") up to the height at which it would hang if the pole was in that position and the spring pin lock was in the top hole. I was happy to find that the belly of the bag was a few inches above my mouth--too high even for me. So the wall is plenty tall even for a giant like me to use this particular platform. So far, so good.

The problem is this (see what a newbie handyman I am): the stud-finder I'm using has no problem locating the edges of the studs on lower areas of the wall, but in the area close to the ceiling, it doesn't register anything. I think that may be because the entire three or four inches below the ceiling is solid wood, or solid something; when I knock on it, it feels hard and there's no echo at all. Will I be okay to drill in this area? I'd like to mount the platform as high as possible.

Thanks for all your help.
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

The studs should be running vertically and parallel to each other, either 450 or 600mm apart depending on the age of the building. 600mm for the later. If you follow it from the bottom and go straight up you shouldn't have a problem.
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• MetalMule
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2009

That's what I thought. I just didn't want to drill any unnecessary holes. Thanks.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...