• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigB13
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2009

Help on new setup

Whats up all, new here. I went out the other day and picked up one of those everlast heavy bag/ speed bag setups that are on the stand together. I bought it mainly for the heavy bag, having had a speed bag before that I never really got into. It was on sale so I thought what the hell. Well bored I started beatin the hell out of the speed bag and realized I really like it. But being on the stand it viberates like hell. I'm gonna try the sand bag and see if that works it just seems like I have to really hit that thing to get it to move. But my main problem is with the bag. It has 6 ribs on the outside, and they stick out 1/8" some of them sticking out more than a 1/4". The only way I can keep that bag straight is to make sure it doesnt hit one of the ribs in any of the rebounds, which can be frusterating for a beginner. My question is, are all bags like that and do the ribs mess with the rebound? I hav an older bag back at my parents house still hanging in the basement I'm gonna grab and see if that one is any better.
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Sounds like you have one screwed up bag. No way should the ribs stick out that far. Heck, they must be creating wind-drag.

Some bags are just not evenly round too. A simple way of checking is to just place your bag on a floor right next to a wall. Then put a vertical book on the other side that acts as a right angle, it should just barely touch the widest part of the bag.

You'll notice that the rib parts of the bag stick out a bit farther than the non-ribbed flat parts. What you want are all the ribs to be about the same distance from the wall to the book as you slowly rotate the bag. Hopefully, all the ribs are withing about an 1/8 inch or less to each other.

An uneven bag most certainly affect your rebounds.

Comment

• BigB13
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2009

Thanks for the advice. I tried that and the bag seems to be evenly round but the seams are not even. the bag is probably the cheapest bag everlast makes as it came with the setup. Its not leather, its vinyl. I got the older bag from my parents house and that one was the everlast 4214 and that one is leather and the seams are nice and flat, but its a little bigger than the one that came with the setup and the rebounds are way slower. I am gonna try to file the ribs that stick out of the seams on the vinyl one and see if that works. Thanks for the input.

Comment

• he4dlin3r
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2009

is ur everlast bag the same as the 1 in my pic avatar

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...