What heart-rate can I get with speed balling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank15
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2021

What heart-rate can I get with speed balling?

I'm a 5k runner and I'd like to change one or two of my slow easy runs (Heartrate zones 2 or 3) with speed balling, My concern is if speeballing will get me too high a heart rate or too low. What heart rate zones would I get with this?

Any advice much appreciated
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Frank15 View Post
    I'm a 5k runner and I'd like to change one or two of my slow easy runs (Heartrate zones 2 or 3) with speed balling, My concern is if speeballing will get me too high a heart rate or too low. What heart rate zones would I get with this?

Any advice much appreciated
    I've done some calorie burn testing with a heart rate monitor. The heart rate can be pretty much anything you want it to be. Punch slow on a smaller bag for lower heart rate, punch fast (and move a lot) on a bigger heavier bag, and you can go really high.

How Many Calories Can You Burn by Punching the Speed Bag? Here's the short and sweet answer. Let's find out! Here I'm punching a bunch of different Title ...

Comment

• Frank15
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Oct 2021

Great video:
      not sure I worked it out correctly, for a 81Kg person like me:

560 Kcal in 30 minutes speed balling with 9x6 bag
      353 Kcal in 30 min at 6:30 pace (easy jog)
      429 Kcal in 30 min at 5:13 pace (5k pace)

This article helped:

It is impractical to attempt to do long, continuous speed bag sets. It just won’t work. Your arms are not built for long sessions of exertion like your legs are. Try to hit a speed bag for 20 mins and you’ll find after 5 mins your shoulders will burn so badly you’ll barely be able to hold your hands up. Your form will be terrible, and the benefit will be little or nothing.
      Last edited by Tim; 11-12-2021, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• pinzpirate
        • Feb 2020

Jim Bradley and other trainers recommend 2-3 minutes on the speed bag in between other exercises for 2-3 minutes with 2 minute breaks every second or third set depending on what the other exercises are and what the goals are I think Tim is right speed bagging is adaptable Obviously most people will do shorter sets in the beginning

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...