How do I not ruin the bladder on my bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jfernandez
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2020

How do I not ruin the bladder on my bags?

Hey everyone, I recently built out a home setup and have been loving getting a bunch of practice in. Every couple days I have to add a bit of air to the cleto bag. I always use spit on the needle before inflating but I've already had 2 bladders stop holding air at all.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

All bladders fail eventually. Some of my bags will hold air for days or weeks, others I have to pump up every time I use them. I don't know there is much you can do here...

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

This is actually pretty common, especially with latex bladders. Latex is a natural rubber, and is known to be porous. Same can be said about the pinch valves, the length of their life varies. Butyl rubber bladders usually stay inflated much longer, the trade off is that they tend to be less responsive, less "bouncy" if you will.

Comment

• jfernandez
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2020

This is really helpful. Thank you everyone!

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

I use a mixture of paraffin wax and mineral oil. Vaseline is good, too. Beeswax might work.

Comment

• dad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2018

For what it's worth I keep a small container of LIP BALM by my bag.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...