• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkelly
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2020

platform paint

A few weeks ago I hung a platform from the ceiling in the garage and started, resumed from a long time ago, my speed bag workouts. After but a few weeks the bag is showing significant wear. I have not painted the platform. Are there any recommendations as to the type or brand of paint that works the best? I suspect, <grin> that this environment is a bit tougher on paint than most.
  • pinzpirate
    • Feb 2020

Sounds like your drum has a very rough surface One of my drums is unfinished cabinet grade plywood
    I have been using it for more than 6 months I don't switch bags that often The ones I have used are
    punched in nicely but show no signs of significant wear Maybe you just need to sand it smooth if you like
    the way it hits now
    Stay away from latex paint Use oil base paint or varnish You could use polyester resin or epoxy materials
    also but these materials can be expensive comparatively
    Welcome to the club

Comment

• bkelly
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2020

I will look for the epoxy. Did not think of that and it sounds best. It won't need much and a small can will not break the budget.
      Thank you for the post.
      Last edited by bkelly; 09-02-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Also, if I may ask, what kind of bag are you using? I ask as what make it is may have something to do with the premature wear

Comment

• pinzpirate
          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by bkelly View Post
          I will look for the epoxy. Did not think of that and it sounds best. It won't need much and a small can will not break the budget.
          Thank you for the post.
          Let me know what you end up with My experience with "table top" epoxy is it isn't that hard polyester gel-coat or resin has much better
          surface tension structural epoxy is usually almost clear and pretty hard various by brand I don't have much experience with all the water based
          epoxy products you definitely want to use something that is catalyzed has a separate component or activator straight epoxys are 50/50
          ratio better products have formulas for different temperature ranges The presence of the word epoxy on the label is often misleading

Comment

• Beancooker
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2020

Take a look at the post I made about building a platform. I used table epoxy from the Home Depot. It came out great, and is a very hard, durable surface.

Building a speed bag platform So I wanted a speed bag platform. I needed it adjustable so my wife can use it too. I wanted it sturdy and to not have vibration, wiggle, or bounce around. I looked online at all the platforms available and none that were affordable would be easy enough for my wife to adjust. So I set out to

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...