• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Butcher
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2020

Advice on my set up

Hi all,

As called out in my first post (dog hates it when I use my speed bag ) I'm a complete newbie so thought I'd share details of my set up in case you have any advice for me.

I'm in Melbourne, Australia, and you may have heard we've just been sent into relatively strict lockdowns for at least 6 weeks. So I've used this time to turn my garage into a gym. As part of this, I've made the best decision yet to install a speed bag (which seems to be called a speedball down under). This decision was made easier because the previous owner of my house was a boxer, and he'd left the board and part of the swivel that he'd installed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	board close up.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	122240
    I found a bag online from a boxing equipment shop in Perth, and went for the large size of 30cm as I'd read it'd be easier for beginners. https://www.ringsport.com.au/collect...ort-speed-ball
    I also had to buy another plastic swivel as my existing swivel didn't have the connecting piece in it any more, so I just left the existing base of the swivel installed and took the connecting piece of my new one to connect the bag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	complete set up.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	122241Click image for larger version

Name:	bag close up.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	122242Click image for larger version

Name:	swivel close up.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	122243

I was concerned about the loop not fitting perfectly into the swivel, and the slight lopsided shape at the top of the bag, particularly at the start because it kept rotating counter-clockwise when I'd hit it. However, I soon realised that was just my technique, and by hitting it "cleaner" I'm now getting a pretty solid (if not super fast) triplet rhythm going consistently, and the bag rebounds straight. So I'm not sure if my concerns are warranted, as it seems to all work ok?

The board is also a bit high. The belly of the bag is around my eye level, not mouth level which I think I read was better? But I like the test of keeping my arms up nice and high for a long period of time.

I'm currently hitting it bare handed, with the fleshy part on the side of my fist (eg the side beneath my pinky fingers if that makes sense?). I don't know if that's correct but it works for me.

Anyway, let me know if you have any advice or tips. I'd be glad to hear to take it on board.

Cheers!
  • pinzpirate
    • Feb 2020

That platform looks pretty sturdy and that style of swivel will serve it's purpose If you have spent anytime with that bag your concerns
    with the way the loop and top are legit Often the bags especially the ones that have been shrink wrapped are out shape out the box
    A quality bag takes it shape as soon you put to work and keeps getting better while you punch it in You can get a Jim Bradley bag
    without all the shipping hassles and currency exchange issues we have to deal with I don't have one but they are definitely a favorite
    among our members Check out all the great videos and Speedbag Alan Kahn's "Bible" Welcome Aboard!

Comment

• Butcher
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2020

Thanks mate.

Could it also be due to either over or under inflation of the bladder? How can I tell if I've inflated the bladder "perfectly"? That said, I'm happy with how it's rebounding right now so again not hugely concerned yet...

Cheers!

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

Even if your bag is underinflated it shouldn't look like that. Is that the way it came? Unzip and check to see the bladder is straight - if it is, you got a deformed bag.

It should not look like that.
        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...