• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Butcher
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2020

Help - Dog hates speed bag

Hi all,

Brand new member here from Australia. I've recently installed a speed bag and am loving it. I might do another post with details of my set up a bit later because I'm sure it could be improved.

Anyway the reason for this post might seem a bit odd.... But does anyone here have a dog and if so, do they go crazy when you hit your speed bag? The only thing keeping me from spending more time working on it is that every time I do, my dog (who is usually pretty calm) runs from wherever he is in the house and starts whining and jumping at me. I think he thinks I'm being attacked? It's driving me mental and as you can guess it's pretty distracting when you're working on a rhythm. I've tried lifting him up so he can sniff the speed bag but it doesn't seem to settle him.

Anyone else had this problem? Any tips on how to get your dog used to the speed bag?
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Personally, no, but I have seen at least one video where a dog is definitely agitated when he person was hitting the bag

Comment

• Beancooker
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2020

I have mine in the garage. It’s over 90 degrees every evening, so I’m hitting it with the door open. The neighbors dog across the street (if outside) goes bananas when I’m hitting it. They have to take the dog inside.

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

I think the dogs breed may have something to do with it. I've had dogs that bark, growl, and attack the shovel while I'm shoveling snow and others who don't react at all.
        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• pinzpirate
          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
          I think the dogs breed may have something to do with it. I've had dogs that bark, growl, and attack the shovel while I'm shoveling snow and others who don't react at all.
          Are they Pitbulls that go nuts? My shop is at edge of a residential neighborhood Directly behind me is houses and the Pitbulls one of my neighbors has go crazy when I do certain things including hitting the bags Sometimes they fight with each other and it sounds lethal!

Comment

• Old Red
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2017

My dogs, a pair of some kind of Swiss herding dogs, go berserk when I hit the bag. They bark, snarl and hurl themselves up the wall trying to get to the ball.

Comment

• BagBoy
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by pinzpirate View Post

Are they Pitbulls that go nuts? My shop is at edge of a residential neighborhood Directly behind me is houses and the Pitbulls one of my neighbors has go crazy when I do certain things including hitting the bags Sometimes they fight with each other and it sounds lethal!
              She's a very large black bullmastiff, sleeps about 15 hrs a day. When I get home from work I find her fast asleep usually on MY bed as she guards the house
              Attached Files
              Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...