• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shan1784
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2008

New To SpeedBagging

Hello everyone,

Just picked up on of those combo stands that has the heavy bag, speed bag, and DE bag. I just found it on craigs list for $25 bucks. It was in perfect shape and came with an 80LB heavy bag but did not have the DE bag anymore. I just wanted to post a pic of it just to get some feedback on whether it seems ok or if there are some things I can do to make it better. All the bags are TKO which I have read that isn't to great. For starting out I'm not gonna worry about the brands as of yet.

I do want to make it more solid. I hit the heavy bag and the whole structure ends up moving. The speedbag platform vibrates alot but for this I will try and weigh it down with some bags of sand. One thing I was thinking was possibly anchoring the whole thing down to the cement floor (it is in my basement) with some cement screws or something. Would that work?

Just looking for ideas and what the experts think.

The pic below is not exactly what mine looks like. The structure is the same but the bags like I said are TKO...
  • SpeedBagSkunk
    Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

anchoring it down

seems like a great idea and also getting the sand bags on the platform would work awesome with the speedbag part. hope it all works out well for ya. good luck with your ned speedbag journey. Welcome to the speedbaggers place!

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Welcome the best speed bag forum, shan1784. You'll get a lot of great advice from some very knowledgable people.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hello and welcome.

See this picture here:

That's how I kept my old freestanding unit from moving: 100 lbs of weights and 200 lbs of sand (50 lbs per bag). The bagged sand can be had for $2 or so at home depot or lowes... very cheap way to do it... although it gets messy when the bags get a hole

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by shan1784 View Post
          Just picked up on of those combo stands that has the heavy bag, speed bag, and DE bag. I just found it on craigs list for $25 bucks.
          Great find... gotta love craigslist !

Ebay will bury you with listing fees, craiglist is free!

Comment

• toolboxdiver
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2008

definatly a great find and welcome to a great forum

Comment

• shan1784
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • May 2008

I hit it a little over the weekend. It really wobbles all over the place. I haven't had a chance to get out and get some sand as of yet. I looked at the platform and it looks like the previous owner welded a cross section to the square tubing that the platform attaches to. So instead of being connected by two bolts it is connected by four. Still the thing sways all over the place when hitting it.

I was considering taking the speedbag portion that connects to the rest of the structure and maybe attaching to a stud along a cement wall in my basement. I imagine that would help with the stability issue as far as the speed bag goes.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Welcome to a great forum. Sound's like a good buy you got there!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by shan1784 View Post
                  I hit it a little over the weekend. It really wobbles all over the place. ....
                  I was considering taking the speedbag portion that connects to the rest of the structure and maybe attaching to a stud along a cement wall in my basement. I imagine that would help with the stability issue as far as the speed bag goes.
                  The freestanding units will always have some amount of movement to them, it's unavoidable.

Check out this video of my old freestanding setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkBPKK0cOZY

You can see the board moving all over the place, up & down, back & forth.

Attaching to the wall or ceiling will give a much more stable setup. Another option is to use straps of some sort see here: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/speed_bag_setups#B

Comment

• shan1784
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • May 2008

After reading these forums I am obsessed with getting rid of the vibration. If I didn't know any better I would have just kept it the same as it was and dealt with it. Now I don't want to touch it until I've got it fixed.

Last night I took the speed bag piece, including the 2" square tubing shown above, and mounted it on a stud on the outer basement wall. I used a couple of 4" lag bolts to attach it to the stud.

I took the platform off, removed the swivel and found some kind of white lube. It was real tacky and it looked like the swivel couldn't move very smooth. I washed it all out and then sprayed some WD-40 in it and it was like night and day difference. Not sure what that stuff was but I'm sure the previous owner did it to improve performance.

He also replaced the screws that holds the swivel (which is a Everlast metal ball and S hook) in place with bolts which kept it pretty tight. So he didn't do all bad.

So now I have it mounted on the stud and it seems to be working much better but there is minor vibration. Still bugging me. I'm going to take it down tonight and mount a couple of 2x4s across three studs then mount the speed bag mount to that. I'm also breaking down and going to get some wood form home depot today to make a new platform. I've got it all planned out (at least I think) and am pretty excited to get it built. It's funny I'm doing all this but I don't even know if I will get into speed bagging much. I hope to, just can't commit to it with my present setup. I'm like that with things and it drives me nuts.

Question on wood for the platform. Home depot has wood sheets 24" x 48". I don't know anything about wood so please excuse my ignorance. My choice is of 3/4" plywood (thats with the thin layers of wood pressed together?) or 3/4" compressed MDF (I think thats what it is, it's dark brown). I'm going to have them cut it in half so I'll have 1 1/2" thick 24" x 24" platform. Not sure what wood to go with. I'm thinking the MDF because it is so smooth and seems to be pretty hard.

What would the suggestions be?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...