Best way to mount platform on cement wall??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

How many Tapcons do you need and what length in inches? If I have them, I'll send them to you, I have a bunch of them in various sizes.

Do you have access to a hammer drill? It sure is a LOT easier drilling into bricks and cement with one of those! It can be done with a regular drill, but you may go through several drill bits...

Comment

• Pegasos
      • Feb 2007

Thanks for the offer Chris, but i m not sure, i have never used them before, i dont even know what way they are installed or what kind of hole they need (smaller, even)... and i only have a simple drill.

TAPCON® The Original masonry anchor.
      Cuts its own threads into concrete, brick or block.

Where to use Tapcons
      Plywood backer boards to masonry.
      Electrical junction boxes and conduit clips to masonry.
      Exterior insulation systems to masonry.
      Metal strapping to masonry.
      Lumber headers and furring strips to masonry.

I suppose the underlined use is the one that fits a speedbag platfom installation.

I am looking for some screws now, a bit longer than the original ones, and i m gona go with the metal anchors i think..

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I've mounted 4 speedbag setups to brick or concrete and the only thing I've ever used is tapcons. They are very sturdy and I've never had a problem. I've currently got two, one mounted inside and one outside at my current house for almost two years with no problems.

If you can drill a hole and put a screw in that hole, you won't have a problem figuring this out.

Let me know.

Comment

• JasonDMX2
          • Feb 2008

Tapcons (which is a masonry screw/lag specifically made for threading into masony) or a metal lag anchor is your best bet. You could also use industrial construction adhesive to mount some suitable lumber on the wall and then screw into that. They make types specifically for bonding materials to masonry, but I imagine liquid nails would work. I would go with the professional grade liquid nails though.
          Last edited by JasonDMX2; 03-31-2008, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JasonDMX2 View Post
            Tapcons (which is a masonry screw/lag specifically made for threading into masony) or a metal lag anchor is your best bet. You could also use industrial construction adhesive to mount some suitable lumber on the wall and then screw into that. They make types specifically for bonding materials to masonry, but I imagine liquid nails would work. I would go with the professional grade liquid nails though.
            The problem with liquid nails is that you need to use some good wood. I can see the board breaking or coming apart from the vibration and leaving a piece of board stuck to the wall. You'd need really good coverage on the boards, but I'm still not convinced that the liquid nails would do the trick long term.

Comment

• Pegasos
              • Feb 2007

Alright, i was away for a few days in the country house and finally installed the platform.

I used those heavy duty M8 (5/16") metal anchors i posted pics of in the 1st page of the thread.

It took me about 6 hours to carefully and with precision make all calculations and put things together. However, since perfection can NOT be found anywhere in our mortal realm, AND because my "economy" setup (about 60 dollars, with speedbag and swivel), turned out to have a little "error", despite being so careful, one issue had to occur, that would get on my nerves..

Well, the two brackets turned out to be UNEVEN by about 1/3", meaning that when the platform was complete and i tested it to stand against a wall the back side of the brackets would be either the left one completely on the wall surface, and the right one a 1/3" in the air in one edge, or vice versa. Anyway, i thought that maybe this small uneveness would dissapear when i was finished. But, when i was finished, it turns out that one side of the wood platform was almost 1'' higher than the other! Alright, when i stood right below the platform i couldnt really tell the difference , but from the other end of the room it really got on my nerves when i looked at it!

At first i put some washers to minimize the difference

but then, i decided to put a piece of wood, and some washers too... and still there is a 1/3" difference on one end.

I suspect this adjustment will "compromise" the vibration outcome at that side of the platform, although it seems to be solid. Any ideas on that? I do not want to loosen the anchors to place the brackets in a different way, because i will ruin their solid fit in the concrete..

Everything is tight, but i dont know, perhaps because one bracket is not fully in contact with the platform, this will cause a somewhat larger vibration at that part of the platform? It is solid, yes, but i dont know.
              After all, those heavy duty anchors, when placed and fitted correctly (and it took me 6 hours to make it absolutely correctly), supposedly have a 1500 kilo pull out load each. That means i have a 6000 kilos (which means 6 tons, which is 13227.6 libres/pounds? in the non-metric measurement) resistant platform, hahahaha.

Next project i am doing is much more ambitious... an adjustable homemade platform from my ceiling, in my apartment..

Chris, tell me something, i was looking at these tapcons in the net, saw a video at youtube too, how about installing them with one's own hands, is it possible? (and a wrench of course)

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2008

Looks great, good job now get punchin...

Comment

• Pegasos
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
                  Looks great, good job now get punchin...

Actually i cant!

I m back in the city now, because i have urgent matters to attend to...

I have to build that adjustable platform in my city apartment ceiling.

And come on, dont lie, do you really think the platform looks that "great", WITH the extra piece of wood attached?

Comment

• Kyle
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
                    Actually i cant!

I m back in the city now, because i have urgent matters to attend to...

I have to build that adjustable platform in my city apartment ceiling.

And come on, dont lie, do you really think the platform looks that "great", WITH the extra piece of wood attached?
                    it look really nice... and a little extra wood never hurt anyone. i bet your getting very uneasy not being able to punch on it that now that its all set up.
                    ________
                    Depakote settlement
                    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Pegasos
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Big_Nesticles View Post
                      i bet your getting very uneasy not being able to punch on it that now that its all set up.

Quite so man, quite so...

..although it makes me even more uneasy having to submit a proper 15000 word research project in less than 10 days (post-graduate stuff)... that's what keeps me in the (damn) city!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...