X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny O
    • Apr 2011

Looking for a good adjustable platform

I haven't hit a speed bag in almost 20 years but I would like to get back into it for myself and my sons (who are various sizes and ages). For this reason I need to get an adjustable platform. I have been looking at the Primefighter model500 and the Title H.D Professional S.B. Platform. These are about my price range (200 - 300). Anyone have experience with these two? Any others I should be looking at? Also, any suggestions for the best good quality swivel and bag I should get? It seems there are a lot of choices these days.

Thanks for your help.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Johnny O View Post
    I haven't hit a speed bag in almost 20 years but I would like to get back into it for myself and my sons (who are various sizes and ages). For this reason I need to get an adjustable platform. I have been looking at the Primefighter model500 and the Title H.D Professional S.B. Platform. These are about my price range (200 - 300). Anyone have experience with these two? Any others I should be looking at? Also, any suggestions for the best good quality swivel and bag I should get? It seems there are a lot of choices these days.

Thanks for your help.
    Primefighter has good stuff. However, I can't say I've actually gotten hands on time with that model, or with the Title one you mention. you should definitely take a look at the Balazs i-Box platform. It's SOLID, adjustable, affordable, and probably the best value around considering it's built like a tank and performs beautifully. I have not heard of ANYONE being disappointed with a Balazs i-Box. It's also in your price range.

The Balazs i-Box comes with an older Everlast chain link style swivel, which is a good swivel and will work fine, at least for "boxing" style punching. If you plan on punching "bible" style (the Speed Bag Bible) then I recommend one of JumpCannon's hand made Powermill Evil swivels. It's a ball hook design so it can take a punch from any side or angle and give you the true rebound you need. Bible style punching has so many side punches that a ball hook is a necessity. The Powermill is hand made by forum member JumpCannon - send him a PM (Private Message) to order.

For the bag itself, I personally recommend any of the following Title bags (have used all of these for many hours and can attest to their performance and durability): Title Boxing Speed Bags , Fighting Sports Pro, Title Gyro , Title Classic

The Everlast bags that can be bought off the internet are also good, as are many ringside bags, cleto reyes, etc. I mention the Title ones above because they are my personal favorites and the prices are economical. There are many good makes of bag, and part of the fun is switching it up with a different size bag that may have a different feel to the rebound, weight, etc.

I recommend 10x7 for a beginner, although if you've got experience from the past I would recommend a 9x6 or 8x5 bag size (For Bible Style punching). You'll need to take your own goals into account. For me personally I like to keep the speed UP and the wear and tear on the joints DOWN and that means a smaller bag like 8x5 or 7x4. If you are punching boxing style for power you may want a 10x7 or 11x8...

Welcome to the forum and let us know if you have any further questions. We love to help.
    Last edited by Tim; 04-17-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• Johnny O
      • Apr 2011

A lot of good information! Thanks for your help Tim.

Comment

• RP65
        • Jan 2011

Welcome Johnny, Ralph here, I just sent you a PM.
        ralphponce65@hotmail.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...