• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avadia
    • Nov 2010

Comparing Platforms

I now own all three of these platforms. Here is how they stack up:

Everlast Adjustable
    The everlast adjustable is a good beginner's platform for a decent price (can usually be had for around $100 or less). It's adjustability is a plus. But it's design provides too much flex for long term satisfaction, in my opinion. I expect the Balasz i-box would be a tremendous upgrade, albeit for twice as much money.

Ringside Heavy Duty platform
    The Ringside Heavy Duty platform is non-adjustable, and is a again a very decent platform for the price. I got it on sale for $160. Everlast makes an identical platform for about the same price (in fact, this one may just be a re-branded everlast). At any rate, it exhibits less flex than the Everlast Adjustable, but still more than you would expect from a non-adjustable platform. The metal V-brace is not near as thick as it should be. The platform is a nice thick and heavy 30" diameter MDF board, which provides a good rebound. But there are no pre-drilled swivel holes, so you must be very careful to mount your swivel properly.

If you don't need adjustability and you want a solid platform at a reasonable price, this one is a good value for the money. At the same time, I expect the Balasz i-box is probably still a better value for the money.

Balazs Non-Adjustable
    The Balazs Non-Adjustable Speed Bag Platform (with the 30" drum) is a true professional grade platform. The metal on the V-brace is over twice as thick (no exaggeration) as that on the Ringside "Heavy Duty" mentioned above. The V-brace alone probably weighs thirty or forty pounds. The hardwood platform is a thing of beauty. It is heavy and solid. Almost no perceivable flex in this platform. It costs twice as much as the other two platforms combined . . . and is worth every penny. If you are serious about your baggin', and you don't need an adjustable, then you owe it to yourself to invest in this platform. You will not be disappointed. This platform comes with an Everlast chain link swivel already attached, but it is easy enough to change out for the Swivel of your choice. I use a Powermill evil swivel on mine.

One last note regarding swivels. The Powermill (from Jumpcannon) is the best swivel available for serious baggers, in my humble opinion. But if you prefer a u-bolt style swivel, I can heartily recommend the Ringside Super Swivel. It is the best-constructed U-bolt swivel I have found. There is absolutely no play in the main connectors, making for a very smooth and incredibly fast swivel. Like most u-bolts, it is pretty useless for side punching, but it provides some of the fastest front/back punching available and a very smooth action. One warning though: the holes don't match up with the everlast swivel holes, so you will need to make new holes if you are switching from an everlast.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Avadia; 03-06-2011, 10:37 AM.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
    I now own all three of these platforms. Here is how they stack up:
    Thanks for the info! I've not gotten hands on with the Balazs non-adjustable yet, but I've used the others.

Everlast Adjustable
    The everlast adjustable is a good beginner's platform for a decent price (can usually be had for around $100 or less). It's adjustability is a plus. But it's design provides too much flex for long term satisfaction, in my opinion. I expect the Balasz i-box would be a tremendous upgrade, albeit for twice as much money.
    Agree on all points. The fact that you can find it in your local Sports Authority and avoid shipping charges (and waiting) is another plus.

Ringside Heavy Duty platform
    The Ringside Heavy Duty platform is non-adjustable, and is a again a very decent platform for the price. I got it on sale for $160. Everlast makes an identical platform for about the same price (in fact, this one may just be a re-branded everlast). At any rate, it exhibits less flex than the Everlast Adjustable, but still more than you would expect from a non-adjustable platform. The metal V-brace is not near as thick as it should be. The platform is a nice thick and heavy 30" diameter MDF board, which provides a good rebound. But there are no pre-drilled swivel holes, so you must be very careful to mount your swivel properly.
    This would be a great platform for really big bags , like 11x8 or 12x10, due to the 30" platform. I enjoyed mine alot and had up to 80 Lbs on top to deaden vibration!!! It's built like a tank. The achilles heel (for me) is the lack of adjustable height. I hit every size from 9x6 to 6x4 and you really need an adjustable platform to accomodate that range of sizes. You can always stand on something, but I don't like having stuff underfoot as I like to move all around the platform as I hit.

Balazs Non-Adjustable
    The Balazs Non-Adjustable Speed Bag Platform (with the 30" drum) is a true professional grade platform. The metal on the V-brace is over twice as thick (no exaggeration) as that on the Ringside "Heavy Duty" mentioned above. The V-brace alone probably weighs thirty or forty pounds. The hardwood platform is a thing of beauty. It is heavy and solid. Almost no perceivable flex in this platform. It costs twice as much as the other two platforms combined . . . and is worth every penny. If you are serious about your baggin', and you don't need an adjustable, then you owe it to yourself to invest in this platform.
    The quality on the Balazs equipment blows everything else out of the water... even considering the price.

I've not heard of anyone yet disappointed with Balazs platforms (any model). I personally recommend the i-Box for the adjustability. It's very affordable (currently $229) , but make no mistake, there is NOTHING economy about the build quality or the materials. My next platform (always need more!) will be an Balazs i-Box.

One last note regarding swivels. The Powermill (from Jumpcannon) is the best swivel available for serious baggers, in my humble opinion.
    x2 on that. Love my powermill.

But if you prefer a u-bolt style swivel, I can heartily recommend the Ringside Super Swivel. It is the best-constructed U-bolt swivel I have found. There is absolutely no play in the main connectors, making for a very smooth and incredibly fast swivel. Like most u-bolts, it is pretty useless for side punching, but it provides some of the fastest front/back punching available and a very smooth action. One warning though: the holes don't match up with the everlast swivel holes, so you will need to make new holes if you are switching from an everlast.
    I have one of these as well, it's very nicely made. I'm not a u-Bolt fan, but it's good for what it is, that's for sure.

Comment

• 08speed3
      • Dec 2010

Whoa! just checked out the Balazs i-box. I wouldnt mind getting one too!!

Comment

• Avadia
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 08speed3 View Post
        Whoa! just checked out the Balazs i-box. I wouldnt mind getting one too!!
        Without a doubt, I expect it is the best value for the money. I will probably get one at some point to replace my Everlast Adjustable. The Balazs quality truly is outstanding.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...