• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Swivel Dampening Comparison

For punch drumming, a nice loud and clear swivel click is very useful. Hearing the rhythm of your punching helps you stay in time with the music. However, when freestyle bagging, staying in perfect time is not the main focus, and having a loud random clicking noise can distract from the freestyle bag work.

To dampen the clicking noise that a metal Ball Hook Swivel makes naturally, i have wrapped tape around the eyelet shank that goes into the metal ball, so that instead of a metal to metal contact, it's a metal to tape contact. You still get a nice pleasant little clanking noise just from the metal ball moving around in the housing. After a while (maybe 30 minutes, depending on how much tape you use) the metal from the housing cuts through the tape, then you just have to remove the shredded tape and re-wrap the shank of the eyelet with more tape.

In this Comparison video, i'm wearing a brown sleeved shirt in the footage with the non dampened swivel. and in the footage with the dampened swivel i'm wearing a shirt with grey sleeves, and you can see a pile of tape wrapped around the S-Hook of the dampened Swivel.

The difference in volume in both pieces of footage may not be totally apparent in this Video, but when you're standing under the board you can tell the difference between the two without a doubt.

The Video on the right is the Taping Ritual Vid. It was made as a Goof, but it does show the amount, and layers of tape i like to put around the shank of the eyelet for maximum dampening, and so it lasts a while before being shredded by the housing's metal edge.

Thank You For Watching

In the photos below you can see the black line going around the tape on the shank of the eyelet. That is where the housing's metal edge is starting to cut through the tape. At the time i took these photos i had been bagging with this tape for about 15 minutes.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ebozyn; 12-27-2011, 01:56 AM.
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...