• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Pamela's rotary bagging video

I ran across this a month ago, but didn't post it, thinking it was just some crazy French Canadians goofing around with a speed bag. But it's cute, so here it is:

And now, below is a scan from a book from 1925, in which bagger extraordinaire Gus Keller wrote a section on "Exhibition Bag Punching". Picture #3 is his "rotary bag" idea of which he says "The rotary bag makes necessary a new sort of apparatus. However, on trying the innovation, experienced punchers will find themselves anxious indeed to expend the small sum required to procure it."

A scan of the entire book will be posted shortly. As for Pamela, turns out her style bag setup has its roots in Vaudeville.

(Can someone tell me what she is saying in the video?)
    Attached Files
  • aad03

• Jan 2010

She is saying:

"There is a legend of a man, somewhere in the Northeast; a man with hands faster than the eye. It is said that he can spin with such force, that if he were to spin more than 3 times in a row, the Earth would tilt on its axis. For every spin in one direction, he must counter it with a spin in the other; or there would be such an imbalance of energy from which our planet may never recover. I remember when he forgot to offset a clockwise spin one time; we had 364 days that year. There is a song that captures the greatness of his being, in a way that words alone never can... it is sung : "Speedbag Scissorhands here we go..."
    Last edited by aad03; 07-23-2010, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• crapshoot
      • Apr 2010

It is a rhyming cadence song. Most of it involving vegetables and cheese by the sound of it: "Champinion"....."onion", etc.

I also came across a patent that is similar.

And here is a doozy!

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

The inventor of the rotary ball listed on the first patent is from Quebec. He was in part inspired by an existing rig distributed on a small scale in Quebec. Got ask yourself, what's up with Quebec?

I had assumed wrongly that the mounted bag in the video was a regular speed bag adapted as a rotary bag. Guess it is not. Also, the rotary bag idea predates Gus Keller's bag punching text. The Quebec inventor cites a patent from 1890 that shows a "pendulum striking ball".

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
          Spin Master

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by aad03 View Post
          She is saying:

"There is a legend of a man, somewhere in the Northeast; a man with hands faster than the eye. It is said that he can spin with such force, that if he were to spin more than 3 times in a row, the Earth would tilt on its axis. For every spin in one direction, he must counter it with a spin in the other; or there would be such an imbalance of energy from which our planet may never recover. I remember when he forgot to offset a clockwise spin one time; we had 364 days that year. There is a song that captures the greatness of his being, in a way that words alone never can... it is sung : "Speedbag Scissorhands here we go..."
          wow !!!!!what epical words brother-thank you! i may have to incorporate this into a scissorhands video!!!!youre the man!thanks!

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

I couldn't help it, I had to translate what I thought she was saying. Look out for Tichy though, he was working some spins into his mix in San Antonio.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...