• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BSDeez16
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2010

New here! My setup:

Hi guys!

I stumbled on your forum yesterday looking for ideas to make my own platform. I used HandsOfStone's "Lowes" platform idea from here:

Tips and tricks for mounting your speed bag platform. Ideas, information, and examples of home made or customized platforms

Just starting out and learning the basics. Hopefully I'll start posting cool videos like you guys fairly soon! I think I'm going to pick up a new bag since this one I've had for awhile and is pretty old. It also loses air pressure fairly quickly. Any suggestions?

Here is how mine turned out:
    Attached Files
  • gvee127
    • Feb 2010

Hey BSDeez16, Welcome to the forum! That's a nice setup. I wish my Lowes stocked 24 x 1 table tops. Do you experience any vibration?

How quickly is your bag losing air pressure? It might have a hole(s) in the bladder or a problem with the air valve. There are a couple of posts that include checking/fixing this in the Speed Bag section under Gold Mine.
    Last edited by gvee127; 03-16-2010, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• BSDeez16
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2010

Not much vibration at all! I'm very pleased with the setup.

As for the air pressure, I filled it until it was pretty hard and after about 1 hour of practicing it was a little mushy again. (did that sound bad to anyone else?)

Comment

• gvee127
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by BSDeez16 View Post
        Not much vibration at all! I'm very pleased with the setup.
        Great! It doesn't hurt to throw some added weight on there to eliminate any vibration. Sandbags work well.

Originally posted by BSDeez16
        As for the air pressure, I filled it until it was pretty hard and after about 1 hour of practicing it was a little mushy again. (did that sound bad to anyone else?)

You want to fill it up enough so that you can still press gently with two fingers on the belly of the bag. If you fill the bag up with too much air you can damage the bladder or it might feel like your hitting a brick. Try taking some out and see how it works.

Comment

• BSDeez16
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by gvee127 View Post
          You want to fill it up enough so that you can still press gently with two fingers on the belly of the bag. If you fill the bag up with too much air you can damage the bladder or it might feel like your hitting a brick. Try taking some out and see how it works.
          Thanks...I'll try that. Oh, I forgot to mention that overnight most of the air is gone. I'll have to inspect the bladder.

Any suggestions on what to get if I just get a new bag?

Comment

• gvee127
            • Feb 2010

Any suggestions on what to get if I just get a new bag?
            Lots to choose from! I'm sure other members will chime in with recommendations.
            Title, Fighting Sports, and Everlast Pro are all popular.

If you're starting out, it's easier to learn/work with a larger bag, >= 9 x 6. They have a larger sweet spot making it easier to control and require more force to keep 'em going providing a more challenging workout.

Also, some of the members buy multiple bags at a time in case one breaks down or wears out, they got a spare. Good idea if you got the cash.

Also, if you're buying from Title (great cust. service), check out their MMA site. It displays their up to date inventory. For backordered items, give 'em a call and they can give you an approx. date for when they expect them.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• gvee127
              • Feb 2010

Oh yeah, almost forgot...if you haven't already, pick up a copy of the Speed Bag Bible and DVD. A great investment.

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Oh yeah, almost forgot...if you haven't already, pick up a copy of the Speed Bag Bible and DVD. A great investment.
                Agreed. Would add that the complete 4 DVD set of the Speed Bag Bible Training Program is very nice!

Comment

• BSDeez16
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Mar 2010

Planning on it!

Comment

• Biff
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey BSD, welcome to the forum. You did a nice job on your setup. As was mentioned, any vibration can be minimized with the addition of some weight on top of the platform (usually 20 -35 lbs of sand).

If your bag is mostly out of air overnight, you obviously have a problem. It's most likely an air valve problem.

The choice of bags given earlier is a good one. After a while, most folks eventually get several (if not more) brands and sizes, and then settle on a few that they really like.

Swivel choice is also a topic of discussion. Again, it will be a personal preference.

If you really want to get serious with the "art" of speed bagging, then be sure to buy Alan's SBB and DVD. Without a doubt, the most valuable piece of speed bagging "equipment" you'll ever buy.

Comment

• BSDeez16
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                      Hey BSD, welcome to the forum. You did a nice job on your setup. As was mentioned, any vibration can be minimized with the addition of some weight on top of the platform (usually 20 -35 lbs of sand).
                      It seems to be pretty good right now, but I think I'll throw one up there and see if it makes a difference.

Swivel choice is also a topic of discussion. Again, it will be a personal preference.
                      The one I have mounted is a new one I bought.

It seems to be pretty good...I'm too new at this to really comment. I do have a metal ball and hook swivel that came with the bag...I may try it at some point.

If you really want to get serious with the "art" of speed bagging, then be sure to buy Alan's SBB and DVD. Without a doubt, the most valuable piece of speed bagging "equipment" you'll ever buy.
                      I sent Alan a PM so I could order that stuff...I really want to get good at this. Saw a lot of the videos of guys (mainly Alan and spinsmashpop) hitting with the beat of music...SO COOL! Your Mambo #5 was awesome too!

Comment

• Biff
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I sent Alan a PM so I could order that stuff...I really want to get good at this. Saw a lot of the videos of guys (mainly Alan and spinsmashpop) hitting with the beat of music...SO COOL! Your Mambo #5 was awesome too!
                        Thanks, but AK and Brian are on a different level than most of us.

You'll get. It just takes practice and patience. Stick with it.

Comment

• fingers
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • May 2008

Welcome to the forum BSdeez16 not much i can add to the sound advice you have had already had just practice and more practice and enjoy the journey!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Welcome to the forum BSdeez16. You've come to the best forum on the internet with great people full of sound advice. Looking forward to seeing your skills.

Comment

• BSDeez16
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Mar 2010

Thanks everyone! I took a video of part of my practice session last night. I'll post it up later tonight and hopefully get some feedback from you guys!.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...