• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Size comparison of the Everlast and Gymboss timers

Here's a couple of pics of the size difference between these two timers. The Gymboss is obviously smaller but does more, The Everlast has lasted me two years so far. Hopefully the Gymboss is as durable.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
  • Geronimo
    • Sep 2009

AHAH im gunna post pic of the receipt I just purchased the everlast timer today from the sporting good store for my heavybag workouts. I got it cuz I can put it on my waist and not have to be lookin at the wall or w/e for the clock and or listen for the timer i can feel the vibrate mode on my hip.< concerns me tho is my kickin being on my hip it might just get in the way... > Ill find out soon enough! One issue i have tho right away is theres no mini timer for 30 30 30 drills so i cant set up 30 sec 60 90 sec beeps etc.. but w/e ill get better one down the road!

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

Hey Geronimo. I 've had the Everlast for a good while. It came wiith a velcro strip so you could strap it around your arm, but like you, I clipped it to my waist for working out, it didn't fit around my arm. Two things that happened with doing this: 1) I would constantly brush it or bump it and inadvertantly hit the stop button, especially when doing uppercuts. 2) when I would get real intense on the heavy bag; this drill, in particular, I would either not feel the vibration, or would knock the timer off my waist. I fixed this by taking two nails and gently nailingthem into the top portion of the bottom board of the Everlast platform. That's worked fine for me when I'm on the bag. For the heavy bag, I just put on a bench close to the bag. The bell is loud enogh to be heard over you hitting the bag. 3) I could only set it for 2 min or three min rounds with 1 min or 30 sec rest in between. With the Gymboss, you can pretty much set it for whatever time you want. I have it set for a three min session with 30 sec intervals, perfect for this workout! I haven't figured how to set the rest time for that. For the money , it's worth it. I still like my Everlast cuz it's lasted me a while, but the Gymboss is a lot more more liberal for setting the time you want. I've already dropped it once and it's still working fine. It does seem a bit fragile due to it's size so i'm trying to be careful with it. Sorry for the long post.
      Last edited by metaldad; 02-20-2010, 08:30 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

met/geronimo, I don't know how I missed the Gymboss when ordering the Title timer, but I sure did. Plus, it was on sale as the same price. Maybe it was the ease of simply putting the buttons to the time you wanted rather than programming them.

The "bell" sound is loud though to be sure you hear the timer, and if I want to throw in some 30 second segments, I just look at the timer that is counting down. I lay it on surface so I could see it as I exercise.

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
          met/geronimo, I don't know how I missed the Gymboss when ordering the Title timer, but I sure did. Plus, it was on sale as the same price. Maybe it was the ease of simply putting the buttons to the time you wanted rather than programming them.

The "bell" sound is loud though to be sure you hear the timer, and if I want to throw in some 30 second segments, I just look at the timer that is counting down. I lay it on surface so I could see it as I exercise.
          The Gymboss is real easy to use, and you can set it for those 30 second segments so you can focus on your workout and not the timer. The small size may be an issue for some, but then again maybe not.
          sigpic

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

All well and good guys, but can your beloved Gym Boss call out punch combinations for you to hit ????

Ha! Didn't think so ....

All in fun, I know not everyone can take a laptop or PC into the garage to work out!!!! Also it's kind of hard to run holding a computer
            Last edited by Tim; 02-25-2010, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              All well and good guys, but can your beloved Gym Boss call out punch combinations for you to hit ????

Ha! Didn't think so ....

All in fun, I know not everyone can take a laptop or PC into the garage to work out!!!! Also it's kind of hard to run holding a computer
              Tim, I doubt it, BUT...after just trying your virtual timer and hitting START and nothing happening, I'll just keep it simple with my Title timer.

I know it must be something I'm not doing right or my computer is not setup right, but darn, I just want the thing to start when I hit START. Although, all said and done, the virtual timer is a ton better and I'll have to play with it.

On a more "serious" note, yesterday I was told that since I have to wear this portable 24 hour IV stuck way up in my arm for a month, they suggested I don't hit the bags. Well, when my wife leaves the house, I am getting my trusty Title timer and hitting the bags. Maybe not as hard, but hitting.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Tim, I doubt it, BUT...after just trying your virtual timer and hitting START and nothing happening, I'll just keep it simple with my Title timer.
                What OS and browser are you using? I'll try to reproduce the problem. It does take about 30 seconds for the sounds to load, because they are quite large. I would appreciate if you could try a second time and see if it works. The large sound files will automatically be cached on your PC and all subsequent load times will be much, much quicker.

I know it must be something I'm not doing right or my computer is not setup right, but darn, I just want the thing to start when I hit START. Although, all said and done, the virtual timer is a ton better and I'll have to play with it.

On a more "serious" note, yesterday I was told that since I have to wear this portable 24 hour IV stuck way up in my arm for a month, they suggested I don't hit the bags. Well, when my wife leaves the house, I am getting my trusty Title timer and hitting the bags. Maybe not as hard, but hitting.
                Haha, just be sure to stop if the iV pops out !!!!
                Last edited by Tim; 02-25-2010, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Tim, thanks. I did get a message at the top about needing to add plugins, but when I hit the button to add them, it says none were loaded.

So after waiting a few minutes, the clock did start. I could pause and start with no problem, but anytime I hit reset, I'd have to wait a few minutes again before it would start.

So, a few minutes a day, over 20 years = 243 hours of waiting when I could have been hitting. That makes my IV situation seem easy.

Comment

• atgatt
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Tim, in between juggling calls and issues this morning, it hit me to play with the timer again. Like a fool that I am at times, I never even noticed YOU were the one developing this timer. The little attention I gave to it I thought it was a timer that was just pulled up from the net.

So please take any of my comments light-hearted and I will look at your timer in more detail down the line.

I did try your http://virtualpunchmitts.com but didn't get any sound even with my volume fully on, so I'll see what is going on.

You really have a clever creation there; once I figure out the bugs I have to get through, I want to try out the great features.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Tim, thanks. I did get a message at the top about needing to add plugins, but when I hit the button to add them, it says none were loaded.
                      Interesting. Are you on Windows? Which browser? Internet Explorer?

So after waiting a few minutes, the clock did start. I could pause and start with no problem, but anytime I hit reset, I'd have to wait a few minutes again before it would start.
                      The sound files are quite large, and there are a number of them, which would explain the delay. Are you on cable, DSL, or dial-up? I can optimize the file size, but it's a tradeoff of load time vs quality. I've never seen them take several minutes, the initial (cold cache) load on my machine takes about 20 seconds.

So, a few minutes a day, over 20 years = 243 hours of waiting when I could have been hitting. That makes my IV situation seem easy.

Tim, in between juggling calls and issues this morning, it hit me to play with the timer again. Like a fool that I am at times, I never even noticed YOU were the one developing this timer. The little attention I gave to it I thought it was a timer that was just pulled up from the net.

So please take any of my comments light-hearted and I will look at your timer in more detail down the line.
                      Haha not a problem. I've been continuously improving the timer over 4 years so I appreciate a fresh perspective.

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Ha! Didn't think so ....

Though I haven't tried this function of your online timer; excellent concept and execution on your part of course, I do have the timer downloaded to my PC and have used it. If I had a laptop or set up a station like you have at home Tim , that would be all that I'd need. You're another that needs a patent BTW! I join a forum to learn how to hit a speed bag better and I get surrounded by "The Brothers and Sisters of Invention!!" LMAO Yes that is MOST definitely a reference to the late Frank Zappa!
                        sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                          You're another that needs a patent BTW! I join a forum to learn how to hit a speed bag better and I get surrounded by "The Brothers and Sisters of Invention!!" LMAO Yes that is MOST definitely a reference to the late Frank Zappa!
                          How true. Tim's latest timer in a Gymboss configuration would fly off the shelves. Hopefully that's in the back of your mind. Your punch combos (although I have not got the sound to work yet) at different intervals would be great for aerobic boxers.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...