For MetalDad – Road Trains (in Australia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

For MetalDad – Road Trains (in Australia)

Hey MD: While I was checking out your spider video links that you had posted, I came across this YouTuber's channel. He's Australian, and has a video of a spider (check it out: http://www.youtube.com/user/SauronsE.../0/UPht-tLDx-k). I'm sure Lexi will find it fascinating!

BUT, he also had this video that I found interesting and I thought that you might appreciate also, since this is what you do for a living, right?

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • deano
    Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

trucks carry this country

this is a common site around the Top End ,Central Australia,Western Australia,
    massive trucks in often very iscolated places ,I have seen 8 trailer road trains
    carrying sheep,you dont just watch them go past,you smell them go past.The
    Northern Territory was the last state to bring in speed limits on Open Roads,
    where previously on roads so marked ,it was do whatever speed you liked,so the trucks on the long straight roads would really get going.They use to have a Cannon Ball event up The Top End where drivers would come from all over the world in high speed cars to take part, the event is no longer after two japanese drivers were killed when their ferrari crashed at very high speed and in seperate crashes drivers hospitalised for long periods. I drove LPG gas tankers for a couple of years and although it was a big truck, it is nothing compared to the road train. Ms Dee, when are you coming to Australia. deano

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Nice find, Dee. I've never seen more than two trailers hitched together. Two things come to mind, 1) you have to be going pretty quick and have lots of clear highway to pass that beast, and 2) how do you maneuver those tri-trailers in reverse?????

MD, ever drive a tandem? How are they to back-up?? How about this tri?

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

I don't know if they still permit it or not, but years ago when I was working in Ohio they could pull triples on the Turnpike. It was scarry enough trying to pass one of those, I don't want to even think about those Austrailian ones.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Australia!

Originally posted by deano View Post
          ...Ms Dee, when are you coming to Australia. deano

Deano: I wish I could say that I'm coming there soon! I have often entertained the idea of traveling to Australia... although the spider video that Roc Stone posted made me think twice about it.

My father was a Chief Engineer of a passenger/cargo shipping line in the 60's – American President Lines – and he went to Australia a few times. In fact, I still have some souvenirs he brought home for us... boomerangs... a wallaby skin, and cute stuffed koala bear toys...
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

although the spider video that Roc Stone posted made me think twice about it.

We're all friendly over here.
            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
              Hey MD: While I was checking out your spider video links that you had posted, I came across this YouTuber's channel. He's Australian, and has a video of a spider. I'm sure Lexi will find it fascinating!

BUT, he also had this video that I found interesting and I thought that you might appreciate also, since this is what you do for a living, right?
              Thank you again MsDee! Lexi did find it interesting. She was trying to figure out what kind of spider it was. Then the guy posted that it was an orb weaver. She really enjoyed it. I was fine unitl she told me that my sister's neighbor lets his pet tarantula loose in his apartment so it can eat the daddy long legs! I enjoyed the road train vid too. You're right that's what I do but I only pull doubles and the the trailers are only 28ft pup trailers. The most I've seen are triple trailers, which I wish I had a permit to pull cuz those guys make the good $$$$$$! I gotta say that i have never seen double tankers, let alone three!!

Originally posted by deano View Post
              this is a common site around the Top End ,Central Australia,Western Australia,
              massive trucks in often very iscolated places ,I have seen 8 trailer road trains
              carrying sheep,you dont just watch them go past,you smell them go past.The
              Northern Territory was the last state to bring in speed limits on Open Roads,
              where previously on roads so marked ,it was do whatever speed you liked,so the trucks on the long straight roads would really get going.They use to have a Cannon Ball event up The Top End where drivers would come from all over the world in high speed cars to take part, the event is no longer after two japanese drivers were killed when their ferrari crashed at very high speed and in seperate crashes drivers hospitalised for long periods. I drove LPG gas tankers for a couple of years and although it was a big truck, it is nothing compared to the road train. Ms Dee, when are you coming to Australia. deano
              8 trailers!? That brings this episode of Speed Racer to mind! This was one of the most memorable episodes of the series. I guess with all the open road on th Australian contient, you got tons of room for trucks that big! Again, I have never seen double tankers being pulled here. Seeing triple tanks was a trip! Idon't wanna thing about a truck with sheep.....pigs and cows smell bad enough thank you very much!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
              Nice find, Dee. I've never seen more than two trailers hitched together. Two things come to mind, 1) you have to be going pretty quick and have lots of clear highway to pass that beast, and 2) how do you maneuver those tri-trailers in reverse?????

MD, ever drive a tandem? How are they to back-up?? How about this tri?
              Biff, though I've seen guys back a set of doubles(WHICH IS NOT RECOMMENDED!) triples would be imposible due to the converter dolly. Those things have a mind of their own! I have a hard enough time backing up a single and converter dolly ...screw trying it with a set!. Check this video out. I pull doubles every day! I have tried to back up a set but like I said, the converter dolly makes it difficult.

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              I don't know if they still permit it or not, but years ago when I was working in Ohio they could pull triples on the Turnpike. It was scarry enough trying to pass one of those, I don't want to even think about those Austrailian ones.
              Yes they still pull triples between Indiana and Ohio over the Turnpike, but the driver needs special permits to drive triples. Those guys get paid well! I just tried to get a job pulling triples but I don't have the permit. I have the endorsement on my license, just not the permit. Driving from Illinois to Fremont, Indiana, I have ssen UPS, Yellow, FedEx, ABF triple pups, and USF Holland double 48 and 53 ft. I've Also seen double flat beds, but never seen double tankers! I'm not saying they don't get pulleed here in the states, I just haven't seen them.
              Last edited by metaldad; 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...