X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparrky37
    • Jan 2010

Make your own Carabiner swivel

So I noticed the carabiners on most all metal water containers were symmetrical. So I decided to convert my S hook to one to see. So far so good. I had used an angle grinder to remove the S hook. The carabiner is a light weight aluminum not for sure how it will hold up over time. will keep you posted on that. It is about quarter to half inch longer than S.
    Attached Files
  • sparrky37
    • Jan 2010

So far the first one stretched after about an hour of baggn will try red one next. not looking so good any more

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
      So far the first one stretched after about an hour of baggn will try red one next. not looking so good any more
      stretched? Are those aluminum?

Comment

• sparrky37
        • Jan 2010

Ya. I just was hitting with the red one. It isn't even lasting an hour. Maybe stretched isn't the best way to put it. Opening up, spreading. Just filmed a vid that will be up in a day or two. I also talk about swivs in that.

Comment

• atgatt
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

sparrky, I have a stainless steel carabiner shaped like the red one you show on the bottle, so it is symmetrical in shape. It also has the steel as the same diameter of my S hook. The problem I see with it, not having installed it, is that it is 1/2 inch longer than the S hook, so although it would fit on the swivel, is the same diameter as the S hook and allow the bag loop to just fit, it will change the rebound timing. Granted, I wonder if I'd notice, but I don't want to increase length.

Also, I like the way the S hook allows the bag's loop to rest on a flat surface so the loop has equal pull pressure. With the carabiner, the loop will rest on a U-shape which will put more pull at the extreme sides of the loop rather than throughout.

Again, will any of this make a noticeable difference in the whole scheme of things, I doubt it but it would bug me mentally, and I'm already mentally bugged enough.

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
            sparrky, I have a stainless steel carabiner shaped like the red one you show on the bottle, so it is symmetrical in shape. It also has the steel as the same diameter of my S hook. The problem I see with it, not having installed it, is that it is 1/2 inch longer than the S hook, so although it would fit on the swivel, is the same diameter as the S hook and allow the bag loop to just fit, it will change the rebound timing. Granted, I wonder if I'd notice, but I don't want to increase length.

Also, I like the way the S hook allows the bag's loop to rest on a flat surface so the loop has equal pull pressure. With the carabiner, the loop will rest on a U-shape which will put more pull at the extreme sides of the loop rather than throughout.
            Ditto atgatt. I bought three (of different sizes) just to try out @ Home Depot. Also, they seemed to "hop" around a bit more on a mis-hit.

Comment

• sparrky37
              • Jan 2010

[QUOTE=atgatt;17402]sparrky, I have a stainless steel carabiner shaped like the red one you show on the bottle, so it is symmetrical in shape. It also has the steel as the same diameter of my S hook. The problem I see with it, not having installed it, is that it is 1/2 inch longer than the S hook, so although it would fit on the swivel, is the same diameter as the S hook and allow the bag loop to just fit, it will change the rebound timing. Granted, I wonder if I'd notice, but I don't want to increase length.

Again, will any of this make a noticeable difference in the whole scheme of things, I doubt it but it would bug me mentally, and I'm already mentally bugged enough. [/QUOTE

Actually the strain on the loop isn't bad it keeps it place it's kind of snug.Yes it is longer,that was one of the things I wanted to try (watchin Skunk use his carabiner). It is very forgiving on miss hits cause God knows I still have a lot of those. Overall I really like the set up. I just wish they would hold up a little longer. I'm headed to lowes later to look at S hooks. Where would I find carabiners to try???

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

I tried looking for these when I was putting my ball hook together. I managed to get some, but they seemed too long and suspected they would open up. Good luck with your project.

Comment

• fingers
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • May 2008

[QUOTE=sparrky37;17413]
                  Originally posted by atgatt View Post

Again, will any of this make a noticeable difference in the whole scheme of things, I doubt it but it would bug me mentally, and I'm already mentally bugged enough. [/QUOTE

Actually the strain on the loop isn't bad it keeps it place it's kind of snug.Yes it is longer,that was one of the things I wanted to try (watchin Skunk use his carabiner). It is very forgiving on miss hits cause God knows I still have a lot of those. Overall I really like the set up. I just wish they would hold up a little longer. I'm headed to lowes later to look at S hooks. Where would I find carabiners to try???
                  You could try a sailing or climing shop they should have some top quality carabinas!!

Comment

• sparrky37
                    • Jan 2010

Just found thicker carabiners 1/4 inch. same length as pictures aluminum. They had stainless steel for double the cost along with a little more weight. so I'll try these today. I got them at Lowes.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...