Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New project

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New project

    Working on my new frame design that being a pyramid style one, using angle iron that's partially welded as working out the angles for the other cuts has been trial and error , hopefully it's going to be quite solid when completed, will be powder coated in black with a 50mm thick 600mm circular birch plywood drum
    thoughts on my design are appreciated

  • #2
    Mark, I like it! Like it a lot! One thing.. plywood. If you can get your hands on a solid piece of wood, butcher block or something like that. If you're putting all that time and effort into it, it deserves better than plywood. That's just my two cents.

    Cheers

    Comment


    • #3
      I've already had the plywood professionally cut then bonded together, so I'll use this for the time being till I can afford the solid wood drum, been looking on internet sites for unwanted solid wood tables to have cut to size for a solid drum , but will definitely use a solid wood drum on it , I'll be sure to post pictures of the finished product , thanks

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow that looks solid. Nice design, kinda like a car jack stand look.

        Comment


        • #5
          Bagger for over 50 yr. wood worker for over 65yr. Precision sheet metal fabricator for over 34 yr. and I absolutely love your design, back with double support and you took care of the front where most of the vibration takes place. Haven said that BagBoy is absolutely right, if you can find a solid piece of hardwood (Birch is a great) or what I made was 1

          Comment


          • #6
            Well that didn't come out right.
            Bagger for over 50 yr. wood worker for over 65yr. Precision sheet metal fabricator for over 34 yr. and I absolutely love your design, back with double support and you took care of the front where most of the vibration takes place. Haven said that BagBoy is absolutely right, if you can find a solid piece of hardwood (Birch is a great) or what I made was 1

            Comment


            • #7
              Sorry, don't understand so let's try this.
              or what I made was 1

              Comment


              • #8
                OK, If I'm going to make an ass of myself I mite as well go all the way.
                Bagger for over 50 yr. wood worker for over 65 yr. precision sheet metal worker over 34 yr.
                and I absolutely love your design, back with double support and you took care of the front where most of the vibration takes place.
                Haven said that BagBoy is absolutely right, if you can find a solid piece of hardwood (birch is great) or what I made was 1 1/4"
                butcher block table 50" long, cut 2 - 24" dia. glued them together and I love it.
                Your frame looks great don't sell yourself short follow BagBoy's advice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by UK mark View Post
                  Working on my new frame design that being a pyramid style one, using angle iron that's partially welded as working out the angles for the other cuts has been trial and error , hopefully it's going to be quite solid when completed, will be powder coated in black with a 50mm thick 600mm circular birch plywood drum
                  thoughts on my design are appreciated
                  That is a very interesting design. I have never seen something like that before.Interested to see that when it is installed.Goodjob!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dad View Post
                    OK, If I'm going to make an ass of myself I mite as well go all the way.
                    Bagger for over 50 yr. wood worker for over 65 yr. precision sheet metal worker over 34 yr.
                    and I absolutely love your design, back with double support and you took care of the front where most of the vibration takes place.
                    Haven said that BagBoy is absolutely right, if you can find a solid piece of hardwood (birch is great) or what I made was 1 1/4"
                    butcher block table 50" long, cut 2 - 24" dia. glued them together and I love it.
                    Your frame looks great don't sell yourself short follow BagBoy's advice.
                    Haha ...got there in the end the plywood is birch , so hoping it's going to do the job for now ...that said I'll be looking for a decent piece of hardwood ( seems to be hard to come across here in the UK)
                    thanks for the compliments on my design much appreciated

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post

                      That is a very interesting design. I have never seen something like that before.Interested to see that when it is installed.Goodjob!!!!
                      Thanks yeah I can't wait to see the finished product and see how it performs, I'll definitely post pics and a video too

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Your frame looks nice and solid! Can't wait to see pictures of the finished product!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Mark, just a question if I may. Like many homestyle platforms yours like mine will not be height adjustable. How high above the top of your head do you plan to have the hitting surface of the drum? I'm sure you know this but it's a good idea to be sure that the drum you plan to install is the drum you'll stay with. I once changed out a drum on one of my homemade wall-mounts and it was a real bitch to readjust the height of the platform frame to accommodate the thicker piece of wood I was installing.

                          Shit, as I read that back to myself I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense lol. Well, food for translated thought I guess. Perhaps you'll find something in there

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Zaz View Post
                            Your frame looks nice and solid! Can't wait to see pictures of the finished product!
                            Thanks, all welded up now ,just a few finishing touches to do, need to varnish to drum and buy all the necessary wall/drum fixings hopefully next week I'll have it up to try , and post pics

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
                              Mark, just a question if I may. Like many homestyle platforms yours like mine will not be height adjustable. How high above the top of your head do you plan to have the hitting surface of the drum? I'm sure you know this but it's a good idea to be sure that the drum you plan to install is the drum you'll stay with. I once changed out a drum on one of my homemade wall-mounts and it was a real bitch to readjust the height of the platform frame to accommodate the thicker piece of wood I was installing.

                              Shit, as I read that back to myself I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense lol. Well, food for translated thought I guess. Perhaps you'll find something in there
                              Haha , no I got what you meant
                              being 6 foot 4 and the dimensions of the frame and thickness of the drum I'll have to mount it outside , I even had to lay a few more layers of bricks on too of the wall to mount my previous frame with quartz slab drum , think I'll be limited to having the speed bag at face height
                              A few people at the boxing gym I go to loved the design and suggest I maybe have h few made and see if I could market them ?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X