• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Stayin' motivated

It's been hard, but this winter I have made more trips to the garage and hit the bag than before. Been checking out Skunk's videos, grabbing The Bible and watching Alan's tutorials. Getting inspiration from all of my bag brothers and sisters! Novaspeedbaggers drumming skills are off the chain! StevieMac and TJ got it goin on, SpeedyTommyT, speedbag Mike, The Punch Professor, Deano MS D, Mrs. Mitts. Man I could just ramble on an on. Point is. The less time spent making excuses and bitchin about how cold it is outside has turned into get my ass out there no matter what for at least 20 minutes. which has turned into longer. I may not be skunk or Alan level but dammit I'm baggin!! Peace and Bag On my Brethren and Sistren in Leather!
    sigpic
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
    It's been hard, but this winter I have made more trips to the garage and hit the bag than before. Been checking out Skunk's videos, grabbing The Bible and watching Alan's tutorials. Getting inspiration from all of my bag brothers and sisters! Novaspeedbaggers drumming skills are off the chain! StevieMac and TJ got it goin on, SpeedyTommyT, speedbag Mike, The Punch Professor, Deano MS D, Mrs. Mitts. Man I could just ramble on an on. Point is. The less time spent making excuses and bitchin about how cold it is outside has turned into get my ass out there no matter what for at least 20 minutes. which has turned into longer. I may not be skunk or Alan level but dammit I'm baggin!! Peace and Bag On my Brethren and Sistren in Leather!
    you go Marine I'm motavated with all the great baggers here also and can't wait til June and jersey to hang and bag maybe I may even grill for ya'll too

Comment

• Inkspill
      • Dec 2010

Inspiration is necessary! motivation can come from external sources and internal sources. sometimes we need the external motivation to start, and once we begin we gain confidence to become internally motivated.

I feel you bro, once we just stop making excuses and DO, we are amazed to see that there was no limitation, nothing stopping us but ourselves, and we begin to realize that it's all up to us, and excuses are everywhere lol, the more we overcome our self imposed limitations, the more we see that there is no limitation, we no longer make excuses, we liberate ourselves!

self discipline, there's nothing like it.

I haven't found the author for this, but here's some good stuff:

"The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds
      an excuse."

some more inspirational sources:

Ed Parker (Sr) - "Doing things diligently often leads to doing things fervently, which in turn leads to doing things permanently."

Conan the Barbarian. especially the soundtrack.
      Nietzsche:
      "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger"
      "He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
      "I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage."
      "Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in pursuit of the goal."
      "Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it."

- example, when I see the skilled bagger videos on here, I remind myself after watching, "Chuck, with practice this skill will be yours too", I imagine myself doing all those things. I use my ability to imagine and picture myself obtaining the goal, having the skill, performing at the high level, the more real you make that goal, the more specific you make this image, the more detailed, the better. and then make a plan and a structure to obtain the goal. small steps, practice every day for 20 minutes. once you're doing that then you find, well that is pretty easy now, so I'll do 40 minutes each day. also make sure to practice all your different ways of hitting, with both hands, so you don't become a one trick pony and all, so you can really master the bag. change up the routine too. do some patterns you're good at and feel good about, then work on the stuff you don't like, the patterns and strikes that you get dissappointed in not being better at. and work slowly and carefully, making certain everything is correct, and then you find yourself turning a weakness into a skill, and again you gain confidence, while building good skill and making progress towards the big goal.

Maxwell Maltz :

"Accept yourself as you are. Otherwise you will never see opportunity. You will not feel free to move toward it; you will feel you are not deserving."
      "Close scrutiny will show that most "crisis situations" are opportunities to either advance, or stay where you are."
      "For imagination sets the goal picture which our automatic mechanism works on. We act, or fail to act, not because of will, as is so commonly believed, but because of imagination."
      "Man maintains his balance, poise, and sense of security only as he is moving forward."
      "To change a habit, make a conscious decision, then act out the new behavior."
      "We are built to conquer environment, solve problems, achieve goals, and we find no real satisfaction or happiness in life without obstacles to conquer and goals to achieve."
      "You make mistakes. Mistakes don't make you."

Maltz described the mind as a goal seeking mechanism. I find it comforting and amusing to know he wasn't the first

"Man is a goal seeking animal. His life only has meaning if he is reaching out and striving for his goals." - Aristotle

Viktor Frankl:

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."
      "Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
      "What is to give light must endure burning."
      "When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves."
      Last edited by Inkspill; 02-11-2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
        Inspiration is necessary! motivation can come from external sources and internal sources. sometimes we need the external motivation to start, and once we begin we gain confidence to become internally motivated.

I feel you bro, once we just stop making excuses and DO, we are amazed to see that there was no limitation, nothing stopping us but ourselves, and we begin to realize that it's all up to us, and excuses are everywhere lol, the more we overcome our self imposed limitations, the more we see that there is no limitation, we no longer make excuses, we liberate ourselves!

self discipline, there's nothing like it.

I haven't found the author for this, but here's some good stuff:

"The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds
        an excuse."

some more inspirational sources:

Ed Parker (Sr) - "Doing things diligently often leads to doing things fervently, which in turn leads to doing things permanently."

Conan the Barbarian. especially the soundtrack.
        Nietzsche:
        "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger"
        "He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
        "I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage."
        "Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in pursuit of the goal."
        "Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it."

- example, when I see the skilled bagger videos on here, I remind myself after watching, "Chuck, with practice this skill will be yours too", I imagine myself doing all those things. I use my ability to imagine and picture myself obtaining the goal, having the skill, performing at the high level, the more real you make that goal, the more specific you make this image, the more detailed, the better. and then make a plan and a structure to obtain the goal. small steps, practice every day for 20 minutes. once you're doing that then you find, well that is pretty easy now, so I'll do 40 minutes each day. also make sure to practice all your different ways of hitting, with both hands, so you don't become a one trick pony and all, so you can really master the bag. change up the routine too. do some patterns you're good at and feel good about, then work on the stuff you don't like, the patterns and strikes that you get dissappointed in not being better at. and work slowly and carefully, making certain everything is correct, and then you find yourself turning a weakness into a skill, and again you gain confidence, while building good skill and making progress towards the big goal.

Maxwell Maltz :

"Accept yourself as you are. Otherwise you will never see opportunity. You will not feel free to move toward it; you will feel you are not deserving."
        "Close scrutiny will show that most "crisis situations" are opportunities to either advance, or stay where you are."
        "For imagination sets the goal picture which our automatic mechanism works on. We act, or fail to act, not because of will, as is so commonly believed, but because of imagination."
        "Man maintains his balance, poise, and sense of security only as he is moving forward."
        "To change a habit, make a conscious decision, then act out the new behavior."
        "We are built to conquer environment, solve problems, achieve goals, and we find no real satisfaction or happiness in life without obstacles to conquer and goals to achieve."
        "You make mistakes. Mistakes don't make you."

Maltz described the mind as a goal seeking mechanism. I find it comforting and amusing to know he wasn't the first

"Man is a goal seeking animal. His life only has meaning if he is reaching out and striving for his goals." - Aristotle

Viktor Frankl:

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."
        "Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
        "What is to give light must endure burning."
        "When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves."
        Yea, what he said Metaldad, so get your butt out to that cold garage and do some baggin!!! My excuse is lame yet I've still been lazy.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...