• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

The Mating Ritual Of The Spider

I did have a few before putting this together so you'll have to excuse any slurring or stutters.

sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Actually, i was thoroughly impressed with your narration, I thought maybe you had scripted it out. Great work. I love spiders, I just don't want them touching me So how big was that thing anyways? It's kind of hard to tell from the video... it certainly looks large.

Comment

• Roc Stone
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2007

Thanks Timbo.
      I'm with you on that 'touching' thing, I like them but I don't want them liking me.

That be one of my front door spiders, it's body/bulb is about the size of a rolling/playing dice or about the size of your thumb nail, but with it legs streched it probably would have the circumfrence of a golf ball.

I think it lost all senses when I shone the light on it and went into overdrive.

I wanted to include a little bit more about the cunning of the slower 2nd male spider, who did not have to work as hard as the 1st spider, without sounding to repeatative, but I think you got the point. Thats what I get for going in cold without any prep, in some ways like the 1st spider I guess.

I think I read that the male must strum the web for 10min or more, the more strumming the better his chances.

It is also fact that the spider is the strongest self sustaining creature/critter on earth. With its web it produces somewhere to live and catches its own food, but its the production of the web itself which the spider produces, structurally sound and able to withstand almost all surrounding conditions. Again its something I don't want touching me.
      Last edited by Roc Stone; 01-28-2010, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Jordan
        • Jun 2009

Yeah man thats pretty sweet stuff....like watching the nature channel... Is that part of your job, or just a hobby?

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Nice Job Roc, you sound like the "Jacques Cousteau" of Australia with your "play by play." Sounds like your "up"
          on your spider facts. Just think of the kind of "baggin'" you could do with 8 arms!
          Hahh! Pretty cool.
          T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
            Thanks Timbo.

That be one of my front door spiders, it's body/bulb is about the size of a rolling/playing dice or about the size of your thumb nail, but with it legs streched it probably would have the circumfrence of a golf ball.
            Spooky! That is big. We've got some big ones here in Florida too though. I'll get some pix of a nice fat Black Widow next time I run across one. They don't get big , but they look pretty wicked.

I wanted to include a little bit more about the cunning of the slower 2nd male spider, who did not have to work as hard as the 1st spider, without sounding to repeatative, but I think you got the point. Thats what I get for going in cold without any prep, in some ways like the 1st spider I guess.
            That was good as is, I did pick up on that, point was taken.

It is also fact that the spider is the strongest self sustaining creature/critter on earth. With its web it produces somewhere to live and catches its own food, but its the production of the web itself which the spider produces, structurally sound and able to withstand almost all surrounding conditions. Again its something I don't want touching me.
            Amazing critters for sure.

I'm attaching a pic here of a deceased spider I found. I believe in a "no kill unless it's a danger to someone" policy. I found this one dead in the in-laws old chicken coop. Stretched it out on a coke can to establish a sense of size. Quite a beast.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Roc Stone
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2007

Jordo, that's just my front door spider buddy. My back door (no chocolate starfish gags please, there, I asked nicely) spider buddy is twice the size again. Every night they build their webs covering my doorways, which I like because I've no screen doors here, they filter the mozzies entering my house.

TJ that piece of trivia was just an article I read in the newspaper and heard on the radio a few months back. With MD's condition I could'nt pass it up, I just wanted to make sure his Daughter knew about it too.

Dang Tim, that things huge. I'm the same 'no kill' unless threatened or they become vermin, most time even if they do become vermin I just show them outside, but if that thing landed on me I would have no alternative even if it would make me sad.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Pacific NW Spider

Well, if you want to talk about spiders, here is a western Washington common brown spider.

But, unlike you, Mr. "Guru" Roc Stone, I know NOTHING about this spider, except that he loves to make his/her web in my doorway during the night. (This is from last September).

And, here's a video of some baby spiders that I shot this last June(?). I'm pretty sure that they are the same brown spider... They were out by the chicken coop:

I feel guilty (well, only sometimes) if I knock down their web... if I were a spider, I think it would really tick me off to have some huge giant that's too big for me to eat come along and destroy several hours worth of work!
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Roc Stone
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2007

Hey Deville.

Everything was going fine till I watched your 2nd vid.

"Holy Heck"

Now I've got the creeps.

I'm sure their got a proud father! ...Somewhere.
                  Last edited by Roc Stone; 01-29-2010, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• RenoRattler
                    • Sep 2009

I am a huge arachnophobe. Tim, if I ever came near a spider that big I would scream like a little schoolgirl.

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

I gotta show this stuff to my daughter....She's freak for all things spider!! WHY ME GOD!? .....WHYYYYYYYYYYY!? most little girls like Barbie, or Bratz, kitties, Baseball, Baskeball...boys............MY daughter? !@#$%^&&**(* filth flarn filthin' arachnids!!!! She laughed at the film Aracnophobia, she thought EARTH VS THE SPIDER was the coolest thing ever.....just wait til she sees [KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS with Shatner...especially the ending....GOD...I'm giving myself the heebie jeebies!
                      Last edited by metaldad; 02-04-2010, 02:39 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                        ...just wait til she sees [KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS with Shatner...especially the ending....GOD...I'm giving myself the heebie jeebies!
                        yeah dude! Great find. I remember that one from when I was a kid !!!!

I gotta be honest, I don't recall how it ended though.

Comment

• metaldad
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                          I did have a few before putting this together so you'll have to excuse any slurring or stutters.

Finally got the guts to sit down with Lexi and watch. Thank you Roc Stone! You made a little girl very happy. The video made her day. She says she wants to be an entomologist when she grows up

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                          Well, if you want to talk about spiders, here is a western Washington common brown spider.

But, unlike you, Mr. "Guru" Roc Stone, I know NOTHING about this spider, except that he loves to make his/her web in my doorway during the night. (This is from last September).

Great video MsDeville! Lexi enjoyed it

And, here's a video of some baby spiders that I shot this last June(?). I'm pretty sure that they are the same brown spider... They were out by the chicken coop:

I feel guilty (well, only sometimes) if I knock down their web... if I were a spider, I think it would really tick me off to have some huge giant that's too big for me to eat come along and destroy several hours worth of work!
                          She really loved these and hit me with a bit of creepy trivia: a baby spider's first meal is their mother!? Dear God what hath I wrought upon the Earth? My daughter's only 7! That's just too much info on somehting so fascinating yet so creepy!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          Spooky! That is big. We've got some big ones here in Florida too though. I'll get some pix of a nice fat Black Widow next time I run across one. They don't get big , but they look pretty wicked.

That was good as is, I did pick up on that, point was taken.

Amazing critters for sure.

I'm attaching a pic here of a deceased spider I found. I believe in a "no kill unless it's a danger to someone" policy. I found this one dead in the in-laws old chicken coop. Stretched it out on a coke can to establish a sense of size. Quite a beast.
                          That's one Eight Legged Freak! Tim. Another film that was entertaining yet freaky btw! Oh, Kingdom of Spiders ended like this
                          sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...