• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

old school bag and swivel

Received this in the mail today. I've wanted to re-create an old school set-up, now I have a swivel and some measurements.

The bag measures 8" x 15" and weighs about 19 oz. (.53kg) For comparison it is shown next to a modern GeneSport jumbo bag which is 8.5" x 13.5" and weighs in at 11 oz (.31kg).

The rope lowers the bag 7" below the swivel. You'd need about a 40" drum to accommodate this rig.

Dutchman told me this is a 1930s era Nichols type swivel; there is no brand name on it. Although it is rusty, it is very solidly made, and it should clean up nicely and make a beefy swivel for an old school set-up. The bag had a brand name on the bottom, but it no longer can be read.

The bladder valve is on the bottom of the bag and actually holds air. But after about 5 minutes a chunk of leather burst out a bit from the side of the bag, revealing an inner cloth backing to the bag's leather panels. This bag is as hard as a brick.
    Attached Files
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
    Received this in the mail today. I've wanted to re-create an old school set-up, now I have a swivel and some measurements.

The rope lowers the bag 7" below the swivel. You'd need about a 40" drum to accommodate this rig.
    Very interesting.
    So will you be recreating an old school board/drum as well?

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      So will you be recreating an old school board/drum as well?
      Yes, I intend to. After reading those early 1900s books, I want to try and duplicate the experience those guys and gals had in order to get a feel for what their style bagging was all about. I'm not saying I will prefer it to today's bagging, but as something to add a little variety it might well reward the effort.

The swivel I got is rusted and hardly mint -- I have no worries about putting an antique into service. The price I paid for it was very reasonable.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
        Yes, I intend to. After reading those early 1900s books, I want to try and duplicate the experience those guys and gals had in order to get a feel for what their style bagging was all about. I'm not saying I will prefer it to today's bagging, but as something to add a little variety it might well reward the effort.
        Believe me I understand ... I'll be watching with interest. I'd love to have a vintage board at SPEED BAG II, or at least one that duplicates the experience.

Comment

• juxt
          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

cool. I recently tried to duplicate an old school set up too. i just drilled a hole through the platform and hung my jumbo everlast bag from a string.

I also tried floor baggin too, i had a tough time. I think the bag should weight more like a basketball.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Feb 2010

All sounds really interesting paranday. Will be looking out for updates too. I think we'd all like to have a go on a 1900's era set up. It would be awesome.

Are you going to get a suitable costume/ hair do as well?? Photoshoot opportunity!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by mrs mitts View Post
              all sounds really interesting paranday. Will be looking out for updates too. I think we'd all like to have a go on a 1900's era set up. It would be awesome.

Are you going to get a suitable costume/ hair do as well?? Photoshoot opportunity!

YES!
              Now that would be a sight to see!
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...