• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

1916 Narragansett Machine Co. catalogue

Google books now has a scan of the 1916 Narragansett gymnasium equipment catalogue available to download. Contains some really cool stuff from another era. The speed bags they sold weighed 2Lbs (.9Kg) ! The current Title jumbo speed bag sold today weighs a mere 17oz (.48Kg).

Click on the PDF button on this page for the free download:

Narragansett Machine Company

Attached Files
    Last edited by paranday; 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM.
  • Mrs Mitts
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Feb 2010

Is it still there paranday? Couldn't see a PDF download button...
    The book looks intriguing...

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
      Is it still there paranday? Couldn't see a PDF download button...
      The book looks intriguing...
      On the Google page I still see a blue coloured text link that says PDF in the top right corner. Click that and it should download. I don't think I can link directly to the file. Is it not there? Anyone else not seeing it?

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Good to go here. I think we found this link awhile back, but since the CPU the file's on is not in service now I got it again. Great stuff.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Feb 2010

I don't know why I can't see a PDF button, but I can't! Just a list of suppliers where I can 'Get This Book'. But you have to pay from £7 up. Is it emailable do you think paranday?

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

On the right side of the upper margin there should be the words "plain text",
            "clip","link","feedback" and "PDF". You should be able to click on the "PDF" and begin the download process. It does say "Google Books" at the upper left doesn't it?
            As far as being emailable, it's 273 pages which is why it's in the PDF format
            Last edited by Dutchman; 09-22-2010, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
              I don't know why I can't see a PDF button, but I can't! Just a list of suppliers where I can 'Get This Book'. But you have to pay from £7 up. Is it emailable do you think paranday?
              Mitts, here's a screenshot showing where the PDF download link should be (highlighted in yellow). It's a 21.5 MB file. If you can't download it, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you (assuming you can get files that large)
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Feb 2010

Cheers Tim, I'm not going mad!

I cannot see the same screen when I click on the link so I guess users in the UK can't view or download this book. HOWEVER, paranday kindly set up another link for me which worked, so have now got it saved on my PC for free.

Comment

• juxt
                  Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

i checked out gleasons boxing gym in brooklyn today. I seen a big heavy duty, height adjustable speed bag set up. I seen the Narragansett Machine Co. logo on it.

looking at the just the swivel base without anything hooked up to it, i seen a hole going through the center of the board. probably where they used to hang it from a rope. and the platform was so thick it was crazy, unfortunaly it didnt have a bag on it though so i couldnt try it.
                  Last edited by juxt; 10-05-2010, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Gleasons, wow. Sacred ground.

Here's a photo of a swivel-less set-up:

Also, to all the blind baggers out there, a special salute !

Comment

• juxt
                      Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

actually i believe the one in this thread http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...light=brooklyn is the same exact one they had at gleasons gym

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

Wouldn't surprise me, as Gleason's has been around for a long time.

Comment

• juxt
                          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

here is a tour of gleason's gym, he mentions the NMC speed bag setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0sYCc5TeZQ

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Lot of history there. Love the Jack Dempsey platform. 90 years old? Wow!
                            sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...