• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tcool13
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2020

Found a Reach speed bag...need help researching it

Trying to learn more about vintage speed bag restoration. I recently found a fairly large Reach bag. The bottom does not have a needle hole to inflate a bladder it has a sewed on Reach label instead. It seems like there is a smaller speed bag with a bladder stuffed inside the larger bag. I’m trying to figure out what I have...how were bags filled before they had a needle insert on the bottom?
    Apologies if this is a basic question...I’m a boxing fan that stumbled onto this and I’m hooked on learning more.
  • Tcool13
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2020

Also, any tips on restoring the leather. I used a cleaner and one pass with a leather conditioner so far.

Comment

• Tcool13
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Nov 2020

Comment

• dad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tcool13 View Post
        Also, any tips on restoring the leather. I used a cleaner and one pass with a leather conditioner so far.
        Find a Tack shop

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Your bag is similar to the Reach bag that I have. It's a # 3 1/2. The bladder it originally had an inflation tube that was accessed by unlacing the top of the bag to inflate it. This used to be the norm for striking bag bladders up into the 1930's. I use a large Title butyl double end bag bladder, it fills the bag out nicely. I estimate that the bag that I have dates from the mid to late 1930's. They appear to have been just about the last firm to use this type of bladder. By this time most of the other makers had switched to either bladders that the valve was in the neck of the bag, or in the base (where we are used to seeing them).

Comment

• Tcool13
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2020

Thank you for the info!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...