X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aad03

• Jan 2010

2010/2011 Speedbag Events

Everything from SB 2010 looks incredible. Wish I could have been there. As much as everyone enjoyed it, I've got a couple ideas to throw out there, see what y'all think.

- Keep with the tradition of an Annual Convention, but also include regional conventions periodically throughout the year (East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, Gulf,...). This would help keep baggers in touch, and let everyone get to know eachother a little better. Plus, each event would obviously be open to everybody, so everyone would have a chance to atleast attend one event during the year. Shorter travel may be easier for some as well.

- The Annual Convention (SB 2011) would be like the Super Bowl of baggers. All the best from the different regional conventions would come together for an incredible gathering of talent. There could be a competitive edge thrown in there for those interested in competing. We would just have to assign a scoring system and a panel of judges. This would all be in good fun, since that is the whole purpose of this forum anyway.

- As far as "Speed Bag cages," my family owns a construction company, and we've got a big shop full of tools and equipment, and we could crank out as many cages as necessary. Tim, I don't know if this would be necessary or not, but just know that it is an option. I would be relying on your design/input on the best way to build them.

- Also, I'd be willing to host an event for anyone interested. I live in Houston, and I've got a 15,000 sf warehouse that could be filled with platforms.

These are just a few ideas, figured I'd put them out there for you guys. As awesome as SB 2010 was, it would be sweet to be able to do it more often.

Oh, and sorry I didn't include a shirtless video with this post. Haha.
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

aad.... I dig everything you said!

It all makes perfect sense.....

But, the main thing that comes to mind is that baggers are offering their own personal resources to make the speed bag and all its mightiness a bigger thing.

I think Tim will be beyond appreciative of the offer of making more cages!
    Also, Alan Kahn is TX based. Near Dallas but he and I have hooked up in Houston.

I think a quarterly 4 way Regional idea is killer! Every 3 months, have it go in a circle... if possible of whichever region is making it happen...

The next one could be the Speed BAG 2010 Southern Regional Convention.
    Then the Western , then the Northern, maybe add in a North Western, South Eastern, etc...

I'd be into trying to get together a Winter Western Regional....
    It is a lot of work though, and Tim needs to seriously commended for all his work!

Bottom line... I gotta tell ya...it was like aglorified Speed Bag Truck event!
    I have about 4-5 baggers in the truck at once with 3 platforms...
    The hang is always great! But it is based around a rock show and time is limited....

Skunk has already hosted the "6 way Speed Bag Porch Gathering" where we built 6 platforms for his porch.... and there were 5 baggers.. that was also great.... but it was based around my tour/travel sched... time was limited..

With 20-30 baggers, the vibe is killer, and 3 days flew by ....
    If a regional gets 5-10 that is a good start and it's fun as anything....

So aad..... great ideas!!!!
    BAG ON!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Also,,,, here are some Lynch Mob dates in your region...not sure if I'll have a board up, but I'll have a board with....

07/18/10 EL PASO, TX ZEN-MEISTER BAR
      07/21/10 BOSSIER CITY, LA FUNNY BONE THEATRE**NEW**
      07/22/10 ODESSA, TX DOS AMIGOS ***NEW***
      07/23/10 DALLAS, TX TREES
      07/24/10 SAN ANTONIO, TX SCOUTBAR
      07/25/10 OKLAHOMA CITY, OK ZOO AMPHITHEATRE

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Feb 2010

Speedbag 2011

I would SO like to make it next year!

Have already floated the idea to hubby.... gotta start working on this idea early!!!

So, where do you think the venue will be for 2011? If it IS Keyport NJ again that would be great for us as have family in Newhaven so could work something out.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

SSP, glad you are down with the regional idea. Seems like speed bag gatherings are too much fun for just once a year. There could be a way to somehow incorporate SB Truck into it, since you'll be all over the country. Just gotta look at the schedule, and see what would work best.

I used to live in San Antonio , and still visit now and then; may have to come see the show when y'all are in town. I could easily bring a platform and a couple speed bags with me, if necessary.

Comment

• sparrky37
            • Jan 2010

I'll do whatever it takes to do a St. Louis gathering!!! It is a central location in the states.
            Who's interested??? When???

Comment

• sparrky37
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
              Also,,,, here are some Lynch Mob dates in your region...not sure if I'll have a board up, but I'll have a board with....

07/18/10 EL PASO, TX ZEN-MEISTER BAR
              07/21/10 BOSSIER CITY, LA FUNNY BONE THEATRE**NEW**
              07/22/10 ODESSA, TX DOS AMIGOS ***NEW***
              07/23/10 DALLAS, TX TREES
              07/24/10 SAN ANTONIO, TX SCOUTBAR
              07/25/10 OKLAHOMA CITY, OK ZOO AMPHITHEATRE
              You guys coming around or near St. Louis???

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by aad03 View Post
                - Keep with the tradition of an Annual Convention, but also include regional conventions periodically throughout the year (East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, Gulf,...). This would help keep baggers in touch, and let everyone get to know eachother a little better. Plus, each event would obviously be open to everybody, so everyone would have a chance to atleast attend one event during the year. Shorter travel may be easier for some as well.
                I can guarantee there will be a national/int'l event next year.

As far as regional events, love the idea. The two racks made for this year will be in my garage, if anyone wants to borrow them for a regional event, let me know. I can pretty much assure you Skunk and I will do SOMETHING for the southeast/FL region before next year's Nat'l event

- The Annual Convention (SB 2011) would be like the Super Bowl of baggers. All the best from the different regional conventions would come together for an incredible gathering of talent. There could be a competitive edge thrown in there for those interested in competing. We would just have to assign a scoring system and a panel of judges. This would all be in good fun, since that is the whole purpose of this forum anyway.
                I'm not totally opposed to a competition with scoring, but I think our community needs to grow a bit first. I think the best plan for next year is to take 1 day or 1/2 day and do a CHARITY "Speed Bag Challenge" - take donations and donate to some charity. This will get us free TV/Radio/News coverage if we team up with one of the bigger charities

After having seen the event up close and personal, I don't think a formal competition would go down well. Competition is good but it also breeds secrecy, egos, and bad blood, among and other things. The beauty of our community is friends helping friends.

That said I'm all for luring in some pro boxers, mma fighters, minor celebrities, etc. and whooping up on them with the speed bag, all in the name of charity.

- As far as "Speed Bag cages," my family owns a construction company, and we've got a big shop full of tools and equipment, and we could crank out as many cages as necessary. Tim, I don't know if this would be necessary or not, but just know that it is an option. I would be relying on your design/input on the best way to build them.
                A very welcome suggestion! The only caveat I would give is that the racks aren't too bad $$$ wise but the real costs are a) ADJUSTABLE PLATFORMS and b) cost of transportation.

Imagine having 5 racks like we had inside, that would require 40 platforms!!!. Perhaps you could look into a cost effective ADJUSTABLE platform, or maybe we just mount a variety of fixed platforms at various heights. The problem with fixed platforms is that it kills the creative energy , you can't predict when and where you need a platform for a 5'5" bagger or a 7' bagger...

- Also, I'd be willing to host an event for anyone interested. I live in Houston, and I've got a 15,000 sf warehouse that could be filled with platforms.
                Great idea. I will say that HEAT is a factor, and you would want to make sure there is either AC or moderate temperatures. We all were physically exhausted at the end of each day, the AC was on, but with 20-25 people in a room, it's always a struggle.

The outdoor unit (in the blazing sunshine) was used little to none most days, it was just too hot, although it was a great way to attract attention and let people know - "you've found the right place".

Lastly, I hope any of the above doesn't come across as being a total negative buzz kill, but I've thought the logistics through quite extensively for this event. Having lived through it, most of my assumptions held true.

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post

But, the main thing that comes to mind is that baggers are offering their own personal resources to make the speed bag and all its mightiness a bigger thing.
                Yes - the enthusiasm and ideas are welcome, keep them coming !!!!

Bottom line... I gotta tell ya...it was like aglorified Speed Bag Truck event!
                I have about 4-5 baggers in the truck at once with 3 platforms...
                The hang is always great! But it is based around a rock show and time is limited....
                I should mention that the truck was indeed the inspiration for this , the spark that drove me to be hell bent on making this happen. I won't go into details, as they are irrelevant at this point, but there was a few times where this event ALMOST got cancelled. In hindsight that would have been a huge mistake and i'm glad we pressed ahead.

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
                I would SO like to make it next year!
                Have already floated the idea to hubby.... gotta start working on this idea early!!!
                We'll be aiming to have a FIRM date and location for next year's event SOON, but not too soon. We've got some research and brainstorming to do. Rest assured you all will be the first to know.
                Last edited by Tim; 06-23-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

I've been thinking about the platform dilemma a little bit, and I run into the same obstacles you mentioned (lots of individual platforms vs. fixed height, multi bag platforms). I'll try to think of some possible resolutions. However, I do have one idea that would be sweet, Speed Bag Forklift. We have 2 forklifts in the shop, and I could make a platform attachment, so that 2 platforms could independently be raised or lowered to any level, 0' - 20'. Also, they would be true 360 degree platforms, since it is not supported by a wall. More of a novelty than anything, really.

Yeah, anything in Houston would have to be a Fall event. I'm sure Florida is the same, anything in a warehouse before late October/November would be suicide.

Comment

• crapshoot
                    • Apr 2010

As far as the height issue, instead of concentrating on the adjustable platforms maybe the solution may be found in adjusting the height of the bagger. No, I'm not talking about Procrustean methods

Here is one and another

Basically, build the platform height for a 7 footer () and have stackable lifts like trapezoidal plyometric boxes/stands in 3" increments, for example.

That way you could have a simplified cage design and sack the lifts inside the cage or in a rack, on end, in front of the platform. I wish I new CAD or scetchup to illustrate it better. maybe I'll draw it and scan it.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
                      You guys coming around or near St. Louis???
                      Hey Sparrky..... there is a post I put up a while back with all the dates... check it to see if we are close enough to you and cruise on down and rock on out!!!! It's called Lynch mob tour dates ..

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by aad03 View Post
                        I've been thinking about the platform dilemma a little bit, and I run into the same obstacles you mentioned (lots of individual platforms vs. fixed height, multi bag platforms). I'll try to think of some possible resolutions. However, I do have one idea that would be sweet, Speed Bag Forklift. We have 2 forklifts in the shop, and I could make a platform attachment, so that 2 platforms could independently be raised or lowered to any level, 0' - 20'. Also, they would be true 360 degree platforms, since it is not supported by a wall. More of a novelty than anything, really.
                        A forklift certainly would work I'm not sure the 20' height will be needed though

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                        As far as the height issue, instead of concentrating on the adjustable platforms maybe the solution may be found in adjusting the height of the bagger. No, I'm not talking about Procrustean methods
                        That would indeed work as well. The actual range of adjustment needed is probably on the order of 12 inches or so. We had some big guys (basketball players) but they were outside of the norm for sure. Kid height platforms are needed as well, that was one of the observations we made.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
                          Y Kid height platforms are needed as well, that was one of the observations we made.
                          I think a couple 3'x3' tables about 2' high might do the trick. Or go a little lower and have other 3'x3' "table tops" about 4" thick to raise incrementally....
                          To keep from slipping, little pieces of velcro on each corner would do the trick.. This was you can move the tables when not needed, and the platform stays adult height!

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Wooden pallets may be an option as well, since they are so easy to get, and cheap. Just hate to get someone up off the ground, since a wrong step would be a fall.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Also, I figured we could put a platform 20' high, then get about 5 or 6 of us on eachothers' shoulders, and let the high man on the Totem Pole do the bagging. Scissorhands could be on the bottom and give it a spin now and then. Then we all run away and join the circus.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...