• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Red
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2017

Heavy Bag Resurrection

Several years ago I put up a heavy bag in my basement work out room with one of those mounts that lags into the floor joists. Through a construction error the joists were undersized, 2x6 as I recall, doubled and on 12" centers to carry the floor load. I think I nailed some bridging between joists but it was soon apparent, as in my wife let me know, the vibration to the room above was unacceptable and the bag soon came down.

This year in a new home I put up the bag again. In the first photo below you see a mount that goes between joists on 16" centers. These are 2x10's. I doubled the joists, bridged across the top, bolted the mount to the joists and screwed some lag bolts into the bridge. My wife said the vibration in the living room above was minor and acceptable.

However after attaching a spring, swivel and necessary carabiners the bag hung lower than I cared for in the basement. Throwing a level jab I was hitting close to the top of the bag where it would just rock in the chains and I'd not get a feeling of a solid hit. In the second photo is a mount made by Balazs that has an interior spring and swivel. Mounting this to the bridge between the joists I gained about eight inches of height and now my jabs are into the meat of the bag.

And since I now had an unused hanger I mounted it in a different spot and put up the Title 'Big Bang' to throw uppercuts on and for a little variety.
    Attached Files
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...