• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saltlab
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2016

Hello and adjustable platforms

Hey ya'll! First post. I am fairly new to the speed bag, about a month in and it's slow going. Picked one up because I wanted to add to my garage boxing training (boxing for fitness not competition). Then I saw Alan K! WOW! I haven't hit my heavy bag or dbl end bag since. You guys make it look so effortless.

So, my wife has also been bit. I have the adjustable platform from Everlast (four screws and a lock pin). It's great but a pain to adjust 2 or 3 times every day and impossible for the wife to do it alone. So, it ends up in a place too high for her and low for me. Therefore, I'm looking at getting one of the wheel adjustable rigs (yeah, it's serious). Questions I have...

Are the wheel adjustment type platforms prone to any issues (stripped screws, slipping, binding, etc) or are they pretty mechanically solid?

Any recommendations (max $500, and that's a stretch)?

Title has 2 on the website, exactly the same but different label and $50 difference . That is the one I'm looking at but I'm not aware of any other brands.
    Thanks for helping us through our new challenge!
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Hi saltlab. Welcome to the forum. A short term solution could be to set the bag up at the right height for the tallest person, and the other stand atop a step such as a pallet. That's what we do.

Comment

• saltlab
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2016

Thanks Seaweed. Tried that, but real estate in the area we're set up is TIGHT.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by saltlab View Post
        Hey ya'll! First post. I am fairly new to the speed bag, about a month in and it's slow going. Picked one up because I wanted to add to my garage boxing training (boxing for fitness not competition). Then I saw Alan K! WOW! I haven't hit my heavy bag or dbl end bag since. You guys make it look so effortless.

So, my wife has also been bit. I have the adjustable platform from Everlast (four screws and a lock pin). It's great but a pain to adjust 2 or 3 times every day and impossible for the wife to do it alone. So, it ends up in a place too high for her and low for me. Therefore, I'm looking at getting one of the wheel adjustable rigs (yeah, it's serious). Questions I have...

Are the wheel adjustment type platforms prone to any issues (stripped screws, slipping, binding, etc) or are they pretty mechanically solid?

Any recommendations (max $500, and that's a stretch)?

Title has 2 on the website, exactly the same but different label and $50 difference . That is the one I'm looking at but I'm not aware of any other brands.

Thanks for helping us through our new challenge!

Hello Saltlab and welcome to the world of Speedbag! Yep, it's an addiction but it's treatable. It's not so bad as other addictions. Sadly, I was once addicted to dancing the hokie pokie, but fortunately I turned myself around... ()

The Title boxing adjustable boards (1) the precision adjustable and (2) the Fighting Sports pro wheel model are both excellent wall units. Like most things in retail, they could be the very same item packaged differently with a name brand added to kick the price up a little, or a lot. But the user can tell no difference in performance. They are great boards for your purpose.

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        Did you check out the Valor adjustable platform ? I think they make the Title and Fighting Sports ones, But i'm not sure, It's just what I here, I could be wrong. I don't have one but if I had the funds that would be the brand I would get.

They have a video demonstration on YouTube, Check it out.

Do you mean this one, Valor C-3?

Here is a version of Balazs Boxing I-box which is very easy to adjust at only $249.00 (he has this attached to two horizontal boards, but he has several boards attached)

ps: that is speedbagskunk, aka...Zach Ruffo. He's pretty good..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since both of these boards are within your price range, you might consider the space where you will hang it, and the wall they will hang on. Note the Titleboxing, valor and fighting sports models require a two horizontal board runners fixed to wall, then the actual unit attaches to them. Looks like a serious gym set up with some large lag bolts probably going into the wall studs.

The Balazs I-box model does not require two very noticeable horizontal board runners, and the vertical mounts attach to the wall in a slightly more attractive manner. Of course, that depends on your space and "the look" you and your wife might want in that area.

below you will see the I-box set up in a home living room without and horizontal boards, using only the vertical struts for attachment. It's a cleaner look.

ps: That's speedbagataraxis....aka matt santiago.

He's pretty good to..

(note the i-box board... setting there rock solid through this blistering attack)

Last edited by Speedbag; 01-23-2016, 01:37 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

[QUOTE=ventanakaz;50947]
          Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Hello Saltlab and welcome to the world of Speedbag! Yep, it's an addiction but it's treatable. It's not so bad as other addictions. Sadly, I was once addicted to dancing the hokie pokie, but fortunately I turned myself around... ()

The Title boxing adjustable boards (1) the precision adjustable and (2) the Fighting Sports pro wheel model are both excellent wall units. Like most things in retail, they could be the very same item packaged differently with a name brand added to kick the price up a little, or a lot. But the user can tell no difference in performance. They are great boards for your purpose.

...He also has the another video that shows the Valor CA-2 which is the one inch thick drum, in that video he kinda shows how to adjust the height, I just love the fact of how you just turn the wheel that's connected to the worm drive to adjust up or down then lock it in
          Yep, He sure does. I left it off the last post because I knew I would be using several clips in that post.

Valor CA-2

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• saltlab
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2016

Excellent! Thanks for the info guys. Had not seen the Valor before.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...