• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drjay9051
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2015

New guy with questions

Hi. Just purchased an X mark XM 2811 platform and a Title gyro bag (6x9).

Put it all up last night. Solid as oak with no vibration.

I hope I have height dialed in. If it is too low I can remove lag screws and rehang. I haev the upward adjustmnent as high as it will go.

I am 5 10 and i can just stand under the platform with it contacting my head. i have read about various bag heights and right now the belly of the bag is midway between my lower lip and chin. is this a good height?

i ask since in many videos the platforms seem to be way above the baggers head and the belly of bag is more at eye level. i think that may be too high but I'm new to all this.

My concern is that every once in a while i strike the edge of the platform with my hand. Now if I raise the platform I won't have that issue but believe the bag will be too high.

Speed Bag Central recommends belly of bag at current height.

Also my bag is the Title Gyro 6x9. Should I get a larger bag or am i OK with the 6x9? I can develop a bit of a rhythm with the current bag. Is it worth spending $40 for a slightly larger bag? It is inflated pretty firmly as I can barely indent bag with pressure. Better to let out a bit of air?

In closing I am pumped!!
  • Shep
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2015

Do you box?

Here is a post from someone much more knowledgeable than me that I think you'll find useful

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    here is what I think is the correct setup for hitting the way "we" do, (from all around the bag). Notice the straight line from the lips, through the hands, to the belly of the bag. A second key feature to this setup is the upper arm and elbow position, up close to parallel. As you scroll down the page you will see the same camera perspective. Most of my pictures are setup that way, so the alignments can be easily determined.

Typically, boxers set it higher, under the theory that they will better learn and train to hold the arms up. Many of them have the belly of the bag at the forehead, which I believe makes it very difficult to punch effectively from the back and sides. But boxers don't focus on hitting from the back and sides. They also want to keep their elbows down to train for protecting the sides and waistline, stomach and ribs. Again, very difficult to hit from all sides with the elbows low. And after 36 years of hitting the speed bag, not one has ever hit me in the ribs.

Nose and chin, yes, ribs no.

Comment

• Eric
      • May 2014

Size

Drj9051.....A 6 X 9 is perfect starter bag. A nice size to hit for awhile.
      You don't want it to firm. You should be able to press it in a little with your thumb. I would let a little air out. It will be slower but that's fine while learning. Enjoy the journey.
      All the Best !

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

I agree Eric. Try letting a bit of air out of the bag. Let a bit out, hit it, and let a bit more out until you feel it has become too soft. Somewhere between too soft and too hard you will find a compromise where the bag feels nice on the hands and is easiest to control. You should be able to push a dent into it quite easily but it probably shouldn't be so soft it's wrinkly.

Comment

• drjay9051
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2015

Thanks. Right now it is super hard and bounces off the platform like a rocket.

I'll deflate a bit.

Thanks again.

Do you usually keep hands close to bag?

i ask as every so often i scrape the edge of platform with my knuckles. maybe i need to keep hands more inboard?

Comment

• BaggerBob
            • Jun 2015

My platform is adjustable and I've played with height. I have a 6x9 and found the best drum height for me is about 3 1/2" above the top of my head.
            To each his own though.

Comment

• drjay9051
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2015

Well I made 2 adjustments.

1. I deflated the bag a bit. I can now indent with my thumb. Much better for me as a newbie. Plenty of action but not too fast.

2. I raised the platform a bit. Belly of bag now in line with my nose. huge difference!

i am one happy bagger and I'm only a couple of days in.

I have a Deville 13 on order. I have to experience a ball hook compared to chain link swivel

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...